I know the economy is bad but ……

Techdeth

RESIDENT ROCK PROFESSOR
I have never seen amps sit so long that people always ask for . What other factors play a role on the market being this way ?

There are just too many great amps out there. It’s saturated. Combine little to no benefit of buying new with people asking way too much for used, and you get a lot of gear sitting around. I can’t say i’ve ever had a listing go longer than a week because I price things fairly
I know . It’s just been wild . I’ve seen amps sit that people were looking to buy for soooooo long

Lots of economic uncertainty,
People getting laid off,
Amp prices coming down after a period of amp market over inflation,
Lots of available good amps for cheaper,
The amp market isn’t growing as quick anymore and the people who want high end amps already have them

Those are my guesses- I’m personally cool with the market crashing a bit, but it’s definitely been hard to sell anything as of late.

Last edited:
I dunno about you guys but while I’ve generally had spare cash for gear, for the last couple years I haven’t really felt things are stable enough to tie up a lot of cash in amps and guitars. Plus now that I’m out of the habit of buying stuff on the regular, it’s made me realise I really do already have everything I need.

Had a Smallbox head up for 2wks for $2100 and an SC20h up for 6wks for $900. No one seems to be buying anything here in the northeast/Boston area

Yep, I’ve just a lot less cash to spend on what (for me) is a hobby at the end of the day. Plenty of amps and guitars I’d love to own, but none I need to own - not when there are more pressing things I need to spend my money on. Hopefully things will improve soon. And I’m over in the UK - gear’s sitting for a while on both sides of the pond it seems.

I just have less cash to spend. I have adult responsibilities, a larger house to maintain, regular living expenses like food and vehicle maintenance, my property taxes and my assessments are up double digit percentages, my end of year taxes are higher, our family just doesn’t have the room for me to spend aimlessly in this economy. Too much risk for life to shit on us and be in trouble since you can’t unload anything in this economy.

I dunno about you guys but while I’ve generally had spare cash for gear, for the last couple years I haven’t really felt things are stable enough to tie up a lot of cash in amps and guitars. Plus now that I’m out of the habit of buying stuff on the regular, it’s made me realise I really do already have everything I need.
Guitars could be a good investment, they are only going to go up in price.

Prices are only going up, way up. You can't just keep printing money and expect inflation to lower. It's an impossibility.
I meant amp price inflation! I am not gonna make a comment like that about capital I Inflation haha

Reactions: Geo
I meant amp price inflation! I am not gonna make a comment like that about capital I Inflation haha
I don't think these next couple years are going to good for amp builders, get what you want while you can.

Back