ibanez 540 vs. 550

Gitfiddler

i can get either for a pretty good deal.

what do you go with?

Assume same color, year, condition, and price. the 540 has sharks/bound neck + the ibanez usa pickups. the 550 has the stock, shit pickups

resale value isn't important. i'm more interested in sound, playability, etc

For sound, the only way you're going to know for sure is to play both of them.

I just got an Ibanez SZ320EX, and I had to try 8 of them to find one that sounds this good.

I prefer my S540 to my RGs sitting down, but standing up it feels weird. I'm used to pressing the bottom edge of the guitar against me, and you can't do that with an S.

The S is not as 'fat' sounding as you'd expect a mahogany bodied guitar to be. It has a little more low mids than an RG, but not by much.

Playability is gonna be about equal for the neck, unless the RG has an AANJ. Can you live with 22 frets? I would take the S just because I have to have that damn neck binding. :lol:

I wouldn't even factor in the pickups, the IBZUSAs do nothing for me, and the bridge and neck stocks in my S540 were gone ASAP.

I would go try out some basic versions of the 2 guitars and see which body style feels best.

:|::QBB:
Toshiro":0f25a said:
I prefer my S540 to my RGs sitting down, but standing up it feels weird. I'm used to pressing the bottom edge of the guitar against me, and you can't do that with an S.

The S is not as 'fat' sounding as you'd expect a mahogany bodied guitar to be. It has a little more low mids than an RG, but not by much.

Playability is gonna be about equal for the neck, unless the RG has an AANJ. Can you live with 22 frets? I would take the S just because I have to have that damn neck binding. :lol:

I wouldn't even factor in the pickups, the IBZUSAs do nothing for me, and the bridge and neck stocks in my S540 were gone ASAP.

I would go try out some basic versions of the 2 guitars and see which body style feels best.

thanks for the info. I had a 550 before and may go with the 540 just to try something different. I really want a 750 or 770 and may pick one of those up along the way as well. If you're interested in selling yours, i'm just up the road in JAX ;)

Back