Ibanez RG550 - neeed some info!

• Thread starter Thread starter cyndicate
  • Start date Start date
cyndicate
cyndicate
I've been looking to get another shredding axe and I love the 550's but I dont want to end up buying the 2007 anniversary ones for $1000 +.

Whats a good price to pay for a old one in excellent condition?

Also I heard there is a common crack at the joint for the RG550's does that affect anything about the guitar?

>|<>QBB<
cyndicate":03039 said:
I've been looking to get another shredding axe and I love the 550's but I dont want to end up buying the 2007 anniversary ones for $1000 +.

Whats a good price to pay for a old one in excellent condition?

Also I heard there is a common crack at the joint for the RG550's does that affect anything about the guitar?
I picked mine up for under $400 used a few years ago...seems they have gone up since though...the crackat the neck joint is on mine too...just the paint, nothing to worry about. They all seem to get that crack there.

The neck pocket you will see cracks, it is the finish most of the time. Any cracks on the neck do not buy it. Ask for detailed pics where the locking nut was installed.

btw the 20th anny is around $890 street and they play great and have the prestige neck.

+1

bestest pointy guitar I ever had...

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":6de71 said:
>|<>QBB<I picked mine up for under $400 used a few years ago...seems they have gone up since though...the crackat the neck joint is on mine too...just the paint, nothing to worry about. They all seem to get that crack there.

Im guessing the paint crack is only on the ones with the neck plate right, does this happen on the AANJ ones? (All access neck joint )

you think there is going to be a big difference between the old ones and the new 20th anny ones? Also when do the 20th anny ones hit the stores?

It can happen to the AANJ guitars, but it's extremely rare. There won't be much of a difference between the 20th and the RG550s. You'll have better stability in the neck with the 20th vs the older RG550s. It'll be less prone to cracking at the nut as well. I think they'll be in stores March or so. Contact Rich @ Ibanez Rules and pre-order one if you're interested. Or, buy one used on Ebay and save like half the $$$ if you don't mind getting it in black, white, or blue.

I've got two of the orange one's from the 80's and one orange one that's actually a rg750 with a rosewood neck. I gigged with the orange 550 for years and never had any problems other than I used to wear out the 5 way switches hammering them from the bridge pickup to the neck. Eventually I replaced it with a toggle since I never used the middle pickup. That helped some but I still killed a few of those over the years.

I paid 419.00 for the original in 89, and I get them off ebay for between 275 - 400 depending on condition (I like them cheap and beat up). I'm not sure if I'm going to pay the big dollars for a reissue, but the idea interesting. I'm going to check one out as soon as my local shop gets one.

is it true they are making only a limited number of 20th anny ones?

1987 pieces and each color will have 1/3 of that amount due out in April. I bought a used RG 565 that has cured my gas but the new ones are nice.

I emailed rich and he said the cost will be $935 shipped, I am thinking of jumping on it since I am gassing so much for one.

Soooo, should I grab a older one or get the newer ones?

Deciding between a DY or a RFR, I am leaning toward the RFR but I wish I can just buy both lol.

K guess what, I preordered it!

I hope it becomes available soon

Back