Idc what any1 says, TS pedals never go out of style...

• Thread starter Thread starter SteveGlitch
  • Start date Start date
SteveGlitch
SteveGlitch
To start with- I'm not a TS guy by any means but Idc what anyone says, Tube Screamers never go out of style. There's always one in every couple hundred TS clones that happens to impress me - the Wampler Paisley Drive was probably the first - with it unique EQ and breakup, then the Wampler Moxie which enabled you to give The TS circuit a flat EQ and a Mosfet transistor to drive it via the usual.

If you follow pedals at all, you already know that Catalinbread released their Legacy Edition pedals as well as their 70's lineup of pedals, which introduced their unique take on the TS formula.

I made a ~15 min video showing how it was alike or different. I really do dig this pedal!

It is pretty much a super TS. It can be pretty transparent depending on the EQ, It can get super clean or distorted enough to act as a lone overdrive/distortion pedal if that's all you had in a rig.

The clarity and the choice for the EQ knobs is a clever play by Catalinbread, if you dig TS circuits then check it out at your local store and let me know what you think.

I’ll check this out . But you are very correct . My main tone is a ts9 into my Hermanson Marshall 5GS . We get this incredible rare amps but still use that pedal with it

I’ll check this out . But you are very correct . My main tone is a ts9 into my Hermanson Marshall 5GS . We get this incredible rare amps but still use that pedal with it
My TS808 hasn't moved from my board in 12+ years. It's a mainstay sound.
As far as an stock Ibanez, I have a TS mini that stays out in my room, that way when I just want to jam on a clean amp, it's there :)

I probably use a VFE Standout most. I think it's from the Tube Screamer family.

Surprised the Fulltone Fulldrive isn't mentioned here more often. It comes from the SD-1 family. I use a FD-3 and FD-2V2. The CC setting is what I usually use.

I like the KHDK Ghoul Screamer too.

I pretty much always use a noise gate 4 cable method in front of the amp when using these types of pedals.

My buddy loooves his Maxon OD808.
None of my pedals (Timmy, KOT, Klone, treble booster, SD-1, FD2) have swayed him away from it.
But! I just got a Mesa Cleo, and we've been shooting it out with his 808. It's the first time since I've known him that he's wanted to buy another od pedal.
The Cleo is very much like a Klon, retains bass, less mid hump and more volume boost compared to the 808. He really digs it with his Anderson Angel 7.

An avid fan of the Boss SD-1.

Clean boosting my Marshalls, Boogies and Fenders with fantastic results.

Desert island pedal.

Last edited:
Nd
My buddy loooves his Maxon OD808.
None of my pedals (Timmy, KOT, Klone, treble booster, SD-1, FD2) have swayed him away from it.
But! I just got a Mesa Cleo, and we've been shooting it out with his 808. It's the first time since I've known him that he's wanted to buy another od pedal.
The Cleo is very much like a Klon, retains bass, less mid hump and more volume boost compared to the 808. He really digs it with his Anderson Angel 7.
Never heard of the Cleo, will check that out! I have the Wampler Gearbox and the Jackson Audio Optimist which are dual overdrive pedals with a version of the Klon, pretty neat pedal.

The MXR Timmy is a favorite of mine :)

Nd

Never heard of the Cleo, will check that out! I have the Wampler Gearbox and the Jackson Audio Optimist which are dual overdrive pedals with a version of the Klon, pretty neat pedal.

The MXR Timmy is a favorite of mine :)
Timmy is my fav od. I have a V2 and the newest Tim.
Klone is close 2nd. Have had many, KTR, Ceriatone, Decibelics, PCE, Tumnus, Way Huge, etc., current one being my fav.
KOT surprised me how good it is. I've had the POT, and have a custom Klone/POT 2-in-1. The KOT is better, killer into a cleanish or lightly breaking up amp. Love it.
Like all 3 better than any TS or derivative I've had, which is a lot! I will say, a TS into a cranked bf Fender is killer.

Going to shoot out my klone with the Cleo right now to see how they compare.
Edit: Just shot em out. Cleo is super close. Tiniest difference in the mids, plenty of output and gain. One of the best klones, imo.
PSA: picked mine up from GC for $50, new. They're clearing them out. Definitely recommend grabbing one, esp at that price, but even if a bit more.

Last edited:

Back