I'm so pissed...

• Thread starter Thread starter shred-o-holic
  • Start date Start date
shred-o-holic
shred-o-holic
......I bought a DV8 modded with a floyd rose.....pretty clean mod job.....anyway I had it set up in Bb...with 14-58.....played sounded great for the first week....so....

I just changed my low B string.......and now the bitch buzzes and frets out like mad......I hope this thing doesn't do this shit all the time I change strings.....back to the tech I guess......was hoping to use it at monday's gig.....I'm fucked... :x

How's the action and the relief? No need to take it to a tech. Do a setup yourself!

Code001":721ec said:
How's the action and the relief? No need to take it to a tech. Do a setup yourself!

I tried to fix it.....I can't......I tried adjusting the springs, raising the action......I even adjusted the truss rod......I guess I suck at setups....nothing helped.....it's fretting out bad at the first fret....

How's the nut height? Did you change the string gauge? How are the frets? I'd try shimming the nut.

Code001":cb828 said:
How's the nut height? Did you change the string gauge? How are the frets? I'd try shimming the nut.

Yeah I bet it needs a shim...what do use fo a shim? A small piece of wood?

Metal, usually brass. Ibanez Rules sells them @ $2 a peice, but he has a minimum order of $10. That would mean you'd have to buy 5 of them. You want the nut to be as low as possible without buzzing.

Code001":0cc05 said:
Metal, usually brass. Ibanez Rules sells them @ $2 a peice, but he has a minimum order of $10. That would mean you'd have to buy 5 of them. You want the nut to be as low as possible without buzzing.

Sounds like I'll just have to be without this axe for tomorrow......oh well.....not as pissed after a night's sleep......I was ready to smash this thing last nite lol..... :?

Well....waddaya know....I busted out some sheet metal and shimmered 'er up.....not bad.....a little higher action but I think I actually prefer it a little higher for chords and dives......now I need to learn to intonate a floyd and I won't need any help at all....

Well of course it's gonna have high action! Now, you need to adjust the action via the bridge. If the bridge goes too low, you'll need to shim the neck. Ah, the wonderful word of guitar setups, huh? :D

Code001":b9a65 said:
Well of course it's gonna have high action! Now, you need to adjust the action via the bridge. If the bridge goes too low, you'll need to shim the neck. Ah, the wonderful word of guitar setups, huh? :D

It's a neck thru so I can't shm the neck.....but it actually plays cool the way it is now....:) I can really dig into chords much better...

Neck-thrus = my worst nightmare when it comes to a full setup. :( Glad you like it though! See, no need to take it to a tech! :)

If it's fretting out at the first fret then you don't have enough relief. loosen the truss rod a little. You probably didn't need to shim the nut.

Pete

stratotone":c2f09 said:
If it's fretting out at the first fret then you don't have enough relief. loosen the truss rod a little. You probably didn't need to shim the nut.

Pete

I loosened it and it didn't help.....the shim has caused intonation issues.....dropped it off at the tech today.......he saids he's taking out the shim lol...... :? :D

LOL. Did you measure the relief? You should only have as much as a thick business card at the 9th fret when holding down the low E at the first and last fret.

RhesusMonkeySpacesuitNASA.jpg

Back