is there any connection between string gauge and a Floyd?

• Thread starter Thread starter stanbog
  • Start date Start date
stanbog
stanbog
this is something i was thinking about lately: would a floyd work better with a lighter gauge strings? i'm talking about increasing the pitch only, cause obviously the other way it doesn't improve anything.

so what do you think? since thinner strings should be more stretchable, would it be possible to get to a higher pitch?

for the record: i use 10-52

i noticed a diff when i switched from 10-46 to 9-42... more play in the bar

i doubt it would be much, maybe not even noticeable.

will it work better? it will be easier to use the Floyd with lighter strings because you will have to have less tension to counteract the strings...meaning you can wiggle the bar easier. whether thats better or not is up to the player...i prefer mine a tad stiff at first, but they loosen up slightly after play because the springs will settle and be easier to open when stressed...still probably stiffer than some like them though.

i think i'll have to find out the hard way. my floyd is stiff as hell. that is "probably" because of the 10-52 mentioned before, but also because i have 4 trem springs installed. i liked it set like this before, but for some reason i want to try something different now. i think i'll remove one spring first and see what the result is. after that i might try 10-46 strings.

i see a lot of setup work in my future... :headbash:

4 springs is overkill IMO. I never use more or less than 3. It's absolutely perfect whether you're in E with 10-52s or in Bb with 11-54s. :)

Code001":e02cf said:
4 springs is overkill IMO. I never use more or less than 3. It's absolutely perfect whether you're in E with 10-52s or in Bb with 11-54s. :)

I agree! I use 9-46 in E and any other tunings like D or whatever, i use 10-46. I used to have 4 springs and it made the trem stiff as hell, so i switched to 3 springs and instantly the bar had loads of movement and play!

i use 3 springs on my 11-54 B tuned Jackson and a buddy of mine uses 3 on his 10-52 standard/dropped D Jackson...4 is overkill LOL

Back