Jose tone in a pedal.

• Thread starter Thread starter 1madaxeman
  • Start date Start date
1madaxeman
1madaxeman
Has any pedal builder ever captured Jose's modded tone e.g. Joe Holmes /John Sykes? (especially Joe) I could have sworn there was a thread on this but I've given up searching. Thanks for your input.

This one claims to get the Sykes ‘87 tone.

However, I have one, and to my ears, it doesn’t.
It’s a really nice sounding pedal though.

Last edited:
IIRC Three Monkeys had a tube preamp pedal that was supposed to be an actual Jose circuit

Yeah, that's it in the post above mine lol

This one claims to get the Sykes ‘87 tone.

However, I have one, and to my ears, it doesn’t.
It’s a really nice sounding pedal though.

Wow even so, it's a great sounding and looking pedal. I am a sucker for 80's hair metal tone so I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

That 87 overdrive sounds nothing like the Sykes tone.. the Jose mod preamp pedal is wayyyyy closer but if we are getting technical, isn't that 87' album a Mesa?

I'd say your best bet is legendary tones hotmod in an 800 or plexi circuit. You are going to want a real preamp or amp, not a pedal trying to replicate that tone.

That 87 overdrive sounds nothing like the Sykes tone.. the Jose mod preamp pedal is wayyyyy closer but if we are getting technical, isn't that 87' album a Mesa?

I'd say your best bet is legendary tones hotmod in an 800 or plexi circuit. You are going to want a real preamp or amp, not a pedal trying to replicate that tone.

Well I'm not as up on Sykes' equipment as Holmes.Wasn't saying it sounded like him. I just thought the pedal sounded damn good. IMHO.
I absolutely agree on the preamp. I'm certainly not happy I missed out on one of those.
I do have a Jimmy Wigle Purplexing Amp. Jens Kruse added a Variac to it and internally jumpered the inputs. I'd like to have a Jose mod done to it. Not sure who I'd send it to though. A pedal would be a new toy to compensate for now. Certainly not a replacement for
the actual amp mod. I also have a JCM DSL 2000 that I could add the hotmod to. Thanks for your input.

Well I'm not as up on Sykes' equipment as Holmes.Wasn't saying it sounded like him. I just thought the pedal sounded damn good. IMHO.
I absolutely agree on the preamp. I'm certainly not happy I missed out on one of those.
I do have a Jimmy Wigle Purplexing Amp. Jens Kruse added a Variac to it and internally jumpered the inputs. I'd like to have a Jose mod done to it. Not sure who I'd send it to though. A pedal would be a new toy to compensate for now. Certainly not a replacement for
the actual amp mod. I also have a JCM DSL 2000 that I could add the hotmod to. Thanks for your input.

just get a Chiron from griff and boost the DSL if you want something to hold you over, i have a few different jose amps and that will get you right there and may just kill any urge altogether, its really great

im gonna bust mine out now, havent jammed on it in a while. i gotta get a fender to run into like he does here, its like the perfect rock tone and why i got the thing

It's killer. Pretty bummed I missed these. But hey life you know. Have a great jam brother. Totally jealous right now. Lol!

just get a Chiron from griff and boost the DSL if you want something to hold you over, i have a few different jose amps and that will get you right there and may just kill any urge altogether, its really great
that would definitely put him in 80's tone territory

I have one of his SuperDrives to get my SD-1 fix. So it's a boost? Kruse also gained up my Marshall. I don't use my heads much anymore. Maybe I already have the tone and don't know it.

I have one of his SuperDrives to get my SD-1 fix. So it's a boost? Kruse also gained up my Marshall. I don't use my heads much anymore. Maybe I already have the tone and don't know it.

The Chiron is Klon clone, i have a cameron mig and a monomyth marshall that are both jose's of sorts and the chiron gets my DSL closest to those

Hey Griff. Is it a boost or overdrive? Lost the link to your page.
The Chiron is Klon clone, i have a cameron mig and a monomyth marshall that are both jose's of sorts and the chiron gets my DSL closest to those
Like RaceU4her mentioned ... it's a Klon clone .... I have a regular straight up clone ...... and I have my newest modded version that has a input cap switch ( guitar or bass ) and a treble mod ( thickens up the treble a bit ) and I split the dual pot ( Gain ) into two seperate pots to have have individual control of the clean and overdriven signal
either one is 150 shipped
1722941166319.jpeg

1722941218753.png

Hi Griff. Hope you are well. I will definitely keep this in mind..Honestly just.bought 4 pedal in the past two weeks. Is that wrong? Haha..Thanks again for the info and putting it on my radar.

Hi Griff. Hope you are well. I will definitely keep this in mind..Honestly just.bought 4 pedal in the past two weeks. Is that wrong? Haha..Thanks again for the info and putting it on my radar.
No problem

Back