Keeley Mods On a Sparkle Drive

• Thread starter Thread starter bill
  • Start date Start date
B
bill
Anyone ever have this done to thier Sparkle Drive? Was it worth it?

I had the mod done and will test drive it tonight at practice. I went with the HC reviews and general rspect for Keeley's work and rep. I will update later.

worth the 59 bucks very fluid and smooth tube like tone. Before the mod I thought the overdrive was a bit harsh for my taste. Keeley did a great job and the tunraround wad quick

I spent more time with the Keeley modified Sparkle Drive this last weekend. I am able to get dead on Early Clapton Strat type tone like Tell the Truth vibe. Lots of gain now with the distortion side and worth the time and money to get this mod.

What all is involved in the mod? Looks like a pretty cool little pedal. ts w/clean blend. Do you use the clean blend that much or leave it 100% wet? Did he put a true bypass switch in it?

I've been thinking of modifying my ts808 clone to keeley's specs (as posted on general guitar gadgets), is it worth it?

Also is the clean blend boosted or natural?

The blend is a nice feature of the SD and it does as stated blends the dist with the clean. The clean side is a boost and I am all over the place with my settings to find what I like. You can go 100% clean boost or 100% dist or any combination of the two. The Keeley site lays out the mods that they do in the SD so rather than get into that just go there and see for yourself. The stock pedal has by pass I think but the switches go bad after awhile. Mine was used and the switch was on the verge of going bad so I installed a new hard wired switch instead of the stock board mounted one. Nice pedal very useful lots of options with the blend knob and a must have. The stock pedal is real nice even without the mod but the mod puts into the lineup alot more than it used to be. Later

Cool man I think I'll try the doing the mod myself. I love my ts808 clone I made from the ggg kit, it's just slightly lacking.

I had a Jekyll+hyde before, and sold it because the hyde side just didn't do anything for me, and I was going on kind of a diy binge and needed the funds. The jekyll side though is just killer, I actually liked it better then my ts808 clone. I'm hoping doing the mod will get me more in that territory.

I just got a SD and even stock it's a pretty neat pedal. I have a BYOC 808 kit on the way that I'm going to compare head to head and see what the differences are.

Never done any of the BYOC pedals but I'm interested in doing maybe a fuzz or a rat type pedal. I bought my one son a SD for Christmas this last 2006 and he loves it to death. I told him about the Keeley mod and he thought it might be worth having done. $59 for the extra tone was worth it for me not to mention the cool blue LED.

After messing with the Sparkle Drive for a couple of weeks the verdict is in. It rocks and is like having a turbo charger on the distortion side of the pedal. Well worth it and highly recommended.

If anyone is looking for a Keeley Sparkle Drive, let me know as I am pulling mine from my board.

Back