Kemper: direct amp profiles?

cardinal

I'm thinking more and more of getting a Kemper to just profile my own amps. I've been down the FRFR path and don't really want to mess with it again.

If I'm understanding the Kemper, you can use a DI signal from the amp's speaker outputs to make a "direct amp profile," and then use a Power Kemper with a typical guitar cab. Right?

Does anyone here do this? Does it seem to work out OK?

It works perfectly. I use a Two Notes Captor as the DI and the profiles are spot on. Run through a Matrix 1600 SS amp into two 4x12s and it’s a great sounding rig.

when I had a Kemper I used a cab and direct profiles. It worked pretty well. I added a tube power amp and it was almost perfect. Almost.

i don't have a DI..so i've done a profile with my amp, with my cab and mic, in room. then i can dump my cab and pickup someone else's Cab...the TILS IRs are pretty good,,,and free..

i don't know if there is a diff between what im doing and the DI of the amp...from a tone perspective.

There is a bit of a difference between studio profile going into an amp/cab and direct profile. ^ That being said, there are plenty of studio profiles that sound great using it as direct to power amp/cab.

The 3rd type is merged. It is the most time consuming one and is the best of all worlds. I took my Revv> Mesa 2x12 and mic'ed it up, capturing a studio profile. I then took a di out of the Revv amp and captured a direct profile. Put them together and you have a Merged profile (I often trash the studio and direct profiles at this point). The Kemper calculates the differences between the di and studio profiles to give you a great separation between the tones.

With this, one can have a true direct tone going into the 2x12 as well as a studio polished version sent out to the house pa. Also, when swapping out different cabs, it becomes much more true. It is awesome :yes:

All my Spawn profiles were Direct and they were killer

I used the Fryette Power Station through my Spawn cabs.

JerEvil":e8ujgxrb said:

i believe i've seen your profiles pop up on Rig Manager...

MrDowntown":l02jp7jc said:
JerEvil":l02jp7jc said:

i believe i've seen your profiles pop up on Rig Manager...
I was really happy with how they came out. There should be Direct and Studio profiles. The Studio profiles have the matching Spawn cab with Celestion G12M-65's. Some boosted as well.

Cardinal, the Kemper doesn't need to be powered; you can use a separate power amp for the cab, as Jeremy did with his Fryette Power Station.

Thank you, Ray, for explaining Merged Rigs; saved me a bunch of typing, bro'. :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

Yup, I just finally tried to profile my amps all direct with m Suhr RL line out. Added in IR's with the new Kemper editor and not bad.

Back