Keyboards

rsm

While I still enjoy guitar and bass, over the last several years my interest in keyboards (organs, synths) continues to grow. I'm at the point where I have guitars, tube amps, effects, software rig, etc. I could only dream about as a kid, same for bass. I'm sure there will be more GAS inducing guitar and bass gear coming up, however...

trying to retire as quickly as possible, saving for a sailboat, kid's college, etc. can't keep indulging in everything. I think I'm going to go through my gear and see what I can force myself to sell lol, and focus more on keyboards. Just blown away by the sounds and capabilities of workstations, arrangers, analog / modular synths and software instruments for keys...

may be a good forum to discuss keyboards as a hobby on a guitar forum?

My Fantom EX 6 is keeping me busy, and I need to get a few keyboard cases to make room to setup my latest keyboard, Arturia Matrix Brute...

I'm guessing there's quite a few here with this same problem to solve. I've got a DSI Pro 2 that can sound quite evil in a mix and want to add a UDO Super Six soon.

If it counts as a synth, I really love the DrumBrute Impact sent through a variety of pedals (e.g., Meris Ottobit) as it has independent outs for snare, hat, kick, etc., and you can basically play it yourself while holding a guitar because the UI is so wondefully simple.

Reactions: rsm
If you find a good case for the matrixbrute, let me know. It's kind of an odd size to begin with and not really looking for a gigbag. Was thinking I'll check out what Pelican has these days. They're pricey, but I have some that have been around for decades and will probably out survive all of us. I know harbor freight has some decent cases on the cheaper end, so may go see what they have.

I'm guessing there's quite a few here with this same problem to solve. I've got a DSI Pro 2 that can sound quite evil in a mix and want to add a UDO Super Six soon.

If it counts as a synth, I really love the DrumBrute Impact sent through a variety of pedals (e.g., Meris Ottobit) as it has independent outs for snare, hat, kick, etc., and you can basically play it yourself while holding a guitar because the UI is so wondefully simple.
I still have and use my old Arturia SparkLE for drums; as well as SonicCharge MicroTonic plugin. As an 80s new wave nerd, I also found and dig a Simmons drum plugin called SDSV: https://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvsdsx.html

If you find a good case for the matrixbrute, let me know. It's kind of an odd size to begin with and not really looking for a gigbag. Was thinking I'll check out what Pelican has these days. They're pricey, but I have some that have been around for decades and will probably out survive all of us. I know harbor freight has some decent cases on the cheaper end, so may go see what they have.
Yes, I'm finding out! The original hard cases are long gone. I did find a soft case for a 61-key that meets all the dimensions, and I have some foam to pad each side...it's due on or after 21-May.

I went back to the ad on Amazon and it takes me to the 49 key, so either I got the last 61-key or they're sending me the 49-key which I will be returning.

I wanted a hard case but nothing out there that I've found.

edit: I didn't find a hard case for my Korg Pa5X-76 either, I got a Gator softcase with wheels, and it's heavy! I can't imagine the 88 key version in a hard case, it would be like moving a refrigerator!

I got a push 3 and love it.
I find the workflow better than Logic Pro X for beat making.
Here's a stand I made for it out of keyboard racks and Gibraltar hardware.

Attachments

• push 3.jpg
    push 3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 20
While I still enjoy guitar and bass, over the last several years my interest in keyboards (organs, synths) continues to grow. I'm at the point where I have guitars, tube amps, effects, software rig, etc. I could only dream about as a kid, same for bass. I'm sure there will be more GAS inducing guitar and bass gear coming up, however...

trying to retire as quickly as possible, saving for a sailboat, kid's college, etc. can't keep indulging in everything. I think I'm going to go through my gear and see what I can force myself to sell lol, and focus more on keyboards. Just blown away by the sounds and capabilities of workstations, arrangers, analog / modular synths and software instruments for keys...

may be a good forum to discuss keyboards as a hobby on a guitar forum?

My Fantom EX 6 is keeping me busy, and I need to get a few keyboard cases to make room to setup my latest keyboard, Arturia Matrix Brute...
I got rid of all my keyboards, as I'm not really a keyboard player. I just prefer sequencing desktop modules with my squarp hapax sequencer.
I have so much shit, I don't have the time for all the sounds. I mostly enjoy just mangling drum beats. I miss my Jupiter XM though. That thing sounded amazing. The most recent and last purchase was this. Intillegel Cascadia. According to modular guys, it's the most advanced modular desktop unit you can get. I didn't want to get into building a modular rig.

I have no idea how to do "synthesis" I just turn knobs and plug in wires till something happens. It's got a cool SH-101 vibe to it and it can get real nasty, which I love. I wish I devoted more time to it, but I unfortunately got bit by scratching not too long ago. I'm a retard for anything that makes noise, and love making tourettes noises with vocal samples. I scratched for 4 hours straight in my garage yesterday. My wife banished me from the dining room table since the weather is warm.

Attachments

• intelligel.jpg
    intelligel.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 19
  • reloop 2.jpg
    reloop 2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 15
  • reloop 1.jpg
    reloop 1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 16
  • maschine (1).jpg
    maschine (1).jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 15
  • mpc - Copy (1).jpg
    mpc - Copy (1).jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 14
  • rig 1 - Copy (1).jpg
    rig 1 - Copy (1).jpg
    905.6 KB · Views: 19
  • rig 2 - Copy (1).jpg
    rig 2 - Copy (1).jpg
    878 KB · Views: 22
I got a Kronos a few years ago, it’s an 88 key that sounds amazing, I made some modded B3 patches that sound great for some of the songs we were working on, but honestly I don’t really know how to play keyboards .
I wish I did.

I got a Kronos a few years ago, it’s an 88 key that sounds amazing, I made some modded B3 patches that sound great for some of the songs we were working on, but honestly I don’t really know how to play keyboards .
I wish I did.
Nice! I'm still learning; chords, chord shapes/patterns, scales... left hand bass, rh chords lines; with the organs (Hammond and pipe), also working on using 1-2 feet for bass notes / lines...that's when it gets more challenging for me. Many rock Hammond players ditched the pedals, now I see why: left hand, right hand, left foot, right foot, all doing something different. :cool:

Last edited:
@JTyson - the Kronos is still amazing, years after it was discontinued. The interim replacement, the Korg Nautilus, is not even close; IIRC, Kronos was made in Japan, Nautilus isn't. For a workstation, I was going to wait for the real Kronos flagship workstation, but the Roland Fantom EX checked many boxes; I've always been a Roland synth fan, and the Fantom covers a wide range of classic Rolands, and newer.

I don't have an 88-keys keyboard, my current max is 76-keys; as I'm not really into piano, more into synths and organs. and 61-key waterfall are my favorite key beds. I really don't like piano keybeds, weighted keys, graduated weighted keys, etc. really slows me down since I'm used to organ and synth action keybeds

That said, I convinced myself I needed one 88-key piano, and went looking. I found the Korg Grandstage X Stage Piano, made in Japan, and it has a unique organ engine that only my Vox Continental has (transistor organs); I have one on order but it's backorded to late August. It covers many types of pianos, electric pianos, organs, harpsichords, clavs, etc.

I considered Nord, but they're more expensive, and I'm in a Nord users group and many people have all kinds of hardware, computer board failures and issues that don't plague the Japanese brands nearly as much, as far as I can tell.

I don't have an 88-keys keyboard, my current max is 76-keys; as I'm not really into piano, more into synths and organs. and 61-key waterfall are my favorite key beds. I really don't like piano keybeds, weighted keys, graduated weighted keys, etc. really slows me down since I'm used to organ and synth action keybeds

That said, I convinced myself I needed one 88-key piano, and went looking. I found the Korg Grandstage X Stage Piano, made in Japan, and it has a unique organ engine that only my Vox Continental has (transistor organs); I have one on order but it's backorded to late August. It covers many types of pianos, electric pianos, organs, harpsichords, clavs, etc.

I considered Nord, but they're more expensive, and I'm in a Nord users group and many people have all kinds of hardware, computer board failures and issues that don't plague the Japanese brands nearly as much, as far as I can tell.
Yeah after having it for awhile, I realized the weighted keys are really only an advantage for piano stuff, and while they are fantastic for that, they are def slow for organ type stuff and that’s mostly what I use it for. I can’t play well enough for it to be a big problem.

My drummer built a modular synth over a 2 year stretch, that thing is absolutely mind boggling! He can get something going on it and it will morph into stuff I’ve never heard before, and it will do it continuously until you ask it nicely to stop. One night it started doing this pattern that sounded like raptor barks and we looked at each other like “WTF is that???!”
It’s hard for me to get my head around how it works, I am a simple man with only 12 brain cells and that thing scares me 😱 😂
He has learned how to make it do somewhat what he wants it to, at least most of the time.
Sometimes it just does what it wants to 😂
I think I have a pic of it, I’ll dig it up

Back