Ladies and gents, we got 'em. (Vented T75's)

• Thread starter Thread starter Speeddemon
  • Start date Start date
Speeddemon
Speeddemon
Just scored a matched pair of '85 vented T75's. I have some non-vented '86 that came in my Marshall 1966A cab, but since my B cab was empty, I've been searching for the originals.
I'ma need to test-drive these soon.

Paging @Racerxrated :p .:cheers:šŸ˜Ž...

Attachments

• T75 vented.jpg
    T75 vented.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 31
Just scored a matched pair of '85 vented T75's. I have some non-vented '86 that came in my Marshall 1966A cab, but since my B cab was empty, I've been searching for the originals.
I'ma need to test-drive these soon.

Paging @Racerxrated :p .:cheers:šŸ˜Ž...
Nice! Congrats.....my guess is you'll dig em.

Not sure what the function was, but the earliest ones were basically G12-65's with a different voice coil former material (glass fiber-->kapton).

I asked Celestion themselves and they didn't even know anymore. "Lost information in the mist of time."

Not sure what the function was, but the earliest ones were basically G12-65's with a different voice coil former material (glass fiber-->kapton).

I asked Celestion themselves and they didn't even know anymore. "Lost information in the mist of time."
I recently found out that the WGS ET-65 is actually a clone of the vented G12T-75 and not the G12-65. They made a clone of a G12-65 but wanted to "improve it" by replacing the fiberglass former with plastic (Kapton). Which is exactly what the G12T-75s are.

They sound really really close to the G12-65's too

Just a tiny bit more scooped

It's wild, they are nowhere near as scooped as the later T75s, for whatever reason

They're an absolutely killer speaker - especially with mid forward amps. Just super woody and thick

I recently found out that the WGS ET-65 is actually a clone of the vented G12T-75 and not the G12-65. They made a clone of a G12-65 but wanted to "improve it" by replacing the fiberglass former with plastic (Kapton). Which is exactly what the G12T-75s are.
That's interesting; because the pair of ET65s I had in a SLO combo (yes I had one; rare af) sounded dead nuts to a 1983 cab with 65s....the difference being, the ET 65s farted out very quickly as I turned up the SLO volume

Sorry to be the dummy, but what does ā€œventedā€ mean?

Ok guys, I've done a clip (yes, a mere phone clip) and some pics.

My non vented has date-code GU18; 18th of July, 1986. The vented one has KT17 (17th of October, 1985).

I did some seperate speaker A/B tests, switching the inputs from one to the other. At first I had the vented one up top (Marshall 1966A cab, diagonal 2x12). More 'vintage-y' and a tad more middy and smooth. Definitely close to what a G12-65 sounds like, but with more 'kerrang'.
In fact, it sounds like how I wanted the new Creamback G12M-65's to sound! But those were a stiff mess. Sold them quickly.

The non-vented T75 sounded close, but maybe a bit more punchy and a tad more aggressive.
Just to be sure that the cab position wasn't an influence, I swapped the position of the two; now with the non-vented up top. This also made it more middy, but its punchiness remained and the vented one remained the smoother of the two.
Now for the Captain Plan... ehrm.... Punchitā„¢ mix, it was time to hook both vented ones up. See images.

Like @DanTravis62 said, if you're only used to the 90's and later versions, you'd be surprised how 'woody' these old ones sound. Like borderline Greenback-with-more-lows-and-punch-woodiness. Sure, I had an actual Pulsonic cone '72 Rola Greenback and that was pure classic rock tone...very Paul Kossoff. But since I play more metal than classic rock, I sold it, but got a pair of pre-Rola 30W 55Hz cone Greenbacks in return. Pretty damn tasty too.

Anyway...

And this is how they sound together (quickest way was to record it with my little Engl Ironball, since it's late here and I didn't want to get my neighbours...aroused. šŸ˜‰

Clip:

Attachments

• T75 non-vented date.jpg
    T75 non-vented date.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 21
  • T75 vented date.jpg
    T75 vented date.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 17
  • ThesepowerscombinedI'mCaptainPunchit.jpg
    ThesepowerscombinedI'mCaptainPunchit.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Vented and Non-vented.jpg
    Vented and Non-vented.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and trying to explain. I feel even more dumb about it now. I canā€™t spot the difference in the pics.

Is there a small gap (vent) between where the magnet connects to the aluminum chassis? Looks like all speakers have the 4 large openings.

Curious because I have a set of old T75s in my Bogner cab in an X with a pair of V30ā€™s. I bought the cab unloaded years ago then bought the speakers used. Makes me wonder what I have.

Is there a small gap (vent) between where the magnet connects to the aluminum chassis? Looks like all speakers have the 4 large openings.
No, it's right underneath the text 'G12T-75' in the center of the magnet; do you see that little mesh? That's the vented hole. The non-vented one had a 'closed-hole'. There's a small dip, but it's not through and through.

EDIT: I've added another picture (older) where my non-vented T75 sits next to a vented G12-65. Here you can clearly see that the 'dip' of the T75's hole is not through and through.

I read somewhere that someone claimed they removed the vents of the T75 because it would make some chuffing noises in closed-back cabs on high volumes. I'm thinking...they still make the G12-65 Heritage that way (with a vent) and that is a speaker that actually comes alive with tons of volume...so I'm not sure if there's any merit to that claim.

Attachments

• WheresthedamnventCJ.jpg
    WheresthedamnventCJ.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Marshall 1966B 03a.JPG
    Marshall 1966B 03a.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Ok thanks man. If it was a snake it would be bitten me for sure. Now itā€™s so obvious, what the heck was I looking at. Thank you!!

Back