Les Claypool Bass Rig for the Pork Soda Album?

• Thread starter Thread starter MetalThrasher
  • Start date Start date
M
MetalThrasher
What was his setup for the Pork Soda album? Now that I'm playing bass, I've been listening to a lot of Primus! I want to try and learn a few Primus bass riffs but holy shit it's hard!

this might be from a few records later, but its probably something along these lines.
les-claypool-6.jpeg

Last edited:
He used modded ADA MB1's into the Mesa early on ...... I believe he's been using Ampeg's for quite awhile now

I'm almost 100 % positive the pic above is from the Pork Soda / Lollapalooza Tour

Yep, ADA MB-1 into Mesa Bass 400 is what I have always heard as well.

i loved this album back in the day, i probably still have my cassette somewhere. have you listened to the first mudvayne album?? theres tons of sorta but not really kind of bass parts that are fun to play

i loved this album back in the day, i probably still have my cassette somewhere. have you listened to the first mudvayne album?? theres tons of sorta but not really kind of bass parts that are fun to play
pork soda and sailing the seas of cheese are both classics. I think the sleeper song on pork soda is welcome to this world. unconventionally heavy af. Nature Boy gets the award for goofiest lyrics possibly ever. the drum sound on those records always stood out to me as being pretty amazing as well.

Last edited:
pork soda and sailing the seas of cheese are both classics. I think the sleeper song on pork soda is welcome to this world. unconventionally heavy af. Nature Boy gets the award for goofiest lyrics possibly ever. the drum sound on those records always stood out to me as being pretty amazing as well.

Definitely in my a/b list for drum tones, the way they played left a lot of room for massive hitting drums. Those are albums you really need a big ol’ sound system for

I have a 6 string fretless bass I pull out every now and then for when I try to do my best Claypool impersonation, lol.

Definitely in my a/b list for drum tones, the way they played left a lot of room for massive hitting drums. Those are albums you really need a big ol’ sound system for
If you listen to the Brown Album ... it's not Tim Alexander ...... but Brain..... who is just as insane .... they recorded that with one mic in a small room with the kit ..... definitely puts a unique vibe to the tonality of the album .

this might be from a few records later, but its probably something along these lines.
les-claypool-6.jpeg
I miss those sandals! I actually used to wear them all the time when I was fishing back in the day! BTW, what is a relatively easy Primus song to learn on bass?

I was trying to play DMV but it's a little hard for me right now as I literally just started playing bass.

I was trying to play DMV but it's a little hard for me right now as I literally just started playing bass.
pretty sure that was done on the 6th String ... unless you have a six string .... I would start with something off of Frizzle Fry .... he got the 6 string after that album
To many puppies will introduce you to his up down strumming technique that he uses a ton .... while not requiring you to go nuts all over the fretboard .
The Intro to Spaghetti Western is fun too

Oh, shit I forgot about that album. What about mr knowitall? I have a 5 string.
The whole Frizzle Fry Album is most likely easier to play than what came after .... Once he got that Carl Thomson 6 string ... man.... shit got unreal ..... The Frizzle Fry album is awesome ... what ever song you pick ...

If you listen to the Brown Album ... it's not Tim Alexander ...... but Brain..... who is just as insane .... they recorded that with one mic in a small room with the kit ..... definitely puts a unique vibe to the tonality of the album .

ill check it out, dont think ive heard that one

Back