Lickliter XD20… some solid rock tones

• Thread starter Thread starter JerEvil
  • Start date Start date
JerEvil
JerEvil
Hey all. I had an opportunity to spend some time with this XD20 from Lickliter. I was talking to Michael about the scalpel and he didn’t have one in stock to send out, but asked if I’d be up for checking this 6v6 loaded guy out.

Generally small tubes and I are not super friendly. I was pleasantly surprised by this amp.

Used my signature Valkenburg model for the demo.

Sounds great.

What’s up with the noise? Is that the amp or your rig?

Id love to try a 100W scalpel.

Sounds great.

What’s up with the noise? Is that the amp or your rig?

Id love to try a 100W scalpel.
The amp is a little noisy for sure. Mostly with the bright switches engaged. I stopped using a noise gate in vids lately. I may go back to it.

I too would like to try a scalpel in 100 watt.

6V6 has more bass in the tonal balance than a 6L6. Nice harmonics when overdriven. EL84 and 6V6 amps are capable of more volume than I ever need. I usually attenuate them playing with the band.
Video sounds good as usual.

6V6 has more bass in the tonal balance than a 6L6. Nice harmonics when overdriven. EL84 and 6V6 amps are capable of more volume than I ever need. I usually attenuate them playing with the band.
Video sounds good as usual.
Yeah this guy certainly gets loud and doesn’t seem to fall apart at rehearsal level. It felt like the low end held together better than the EL84 amps I’ve had some time with.

Every time I see a Lickliter amp I already read it as Clitlicker....maybe it's because I'm a child. Anywho, the amp sounds like a really good hard rock, metal amp. I don't think I've ever tried a 6v6 amp, but have played a few el84 amps for lil' bottles.

EL84 is a much looser bass response. But probably the best harmonics of any power tube.

EL84 is a much looser bass response.
Guess Engl found a way around that with the Ironball. Never gets loose, flubby, etc. I A/B'd it against the Mesa Mini Rectifier, that was a hot mess. Bought the Ironball on the spot...almost 11 years ago.

@JerEvil indeed sounds good! Tight enough for my taste (I typically gravitate towards Engl Savage & Mesa Marks).

Dude definitely knows how to make amps.
Oh for sure!
Guess Engl found a way around that with the Ironball. Never gets loose, flubby, etc. I A/B'd it against the Mesa Mini Rectifier, that was a hot mess. Bought the Ironball on the spot...almost 11 years ago.

@JerEvil indeed sounds good! Tight enough for my taste (I typically gravitate towards Engl Savage & Mesa Marks).
yeah that mini rec was dreadful

It's done with filtering rolling off highs and lows at the beginning of the amp usually.

My 25w 6v6 loaded Rivera is LOUD. Even louder than one would ever expect. Loaded it with NOS tubes and it is plenty powerful. You feel it thump you in the chest on clean settings alone through a 2x12. Super quiet too. I find that 6V6 tubes have a very good frequency center for guitar.

I like 6v6 power sections alot more than el84 for gainy stuff that isn't supposed to be voxy

Amp sounds good but is pretty noisey

Oh for sure!

yeah that mini rec was dreadful
Thanks Jeremy for a great demo! Sorry for the late response being dealing with the rough weather in Florida. Waiting for Hurricane Milton to pass. Hopefully all stays well and power isn’t lost for too long. The joys of living in paradise.

Thanks Jeremy for a great demo! Sorry for the late response being dealing with the rough weather in Florida. Waiting for Hurricane Milton to pass. Hopefully all stays well and power isn’t lost for too long. The joys of living in paradise.
Oh man! I’ve been in India and just got back. Sent you a text checking in.

Back