Looking for 80’s style shredder Chubtone/FU ?

• Thread starter Thread starter drumdude
  • Start date Start date
D
drumdude
Hey fellas , title pretty much says it …looking at chubtone or possibly FU…anyone have any experience with either they can share ?
Seems like Chubtone has the edge on ‘us custom shop type craftsmanship’ huh ?

Haven't played one but assuming I couldn't find the specific Charvel I'd be looking for I would definitely give Chubtone a try.

Chubtones are very nice USA made guitars with fantastic neck feel. I've got one and I love it, though I hate the EMG single coils in the middle and neck, there's such a huge volume drop off when going to all single coil versus the humbucker in the bridge. FU Tune guitars, while they look awesome and have some cool features, are Korean made. If that doesn't bother you (because there are some very nice Korean made guitars), then save a few bucks if their features fit your needs.

Chubtones are very nice USA made guitars with fantastic neck feel. I've got one and I love it, though I hate the EMG single coils in the middle and neck, there's such a huge volume drop off when going to all single coil versus the humbucker in the bridge. FU Tune guitars, while they look awesome and have some cool features, are Korean made. If that doesn't bother you (because there are some very nice Korean made guitars), then save a few bucks if their features fit your needs.
Kinda feeling the ‘higher end’ chubtone thing 😁👍🏻

Kinda feeling the ‘higher end’ chubtone thing 😁👍🏻
then find one you like and buy it. They'll have more resale value down the road should you decide you don't click with it. And by the time you factor in the cost of a new FU Tone (I haven't seen any used ones), and their way overpriced case, you could just about have a clean used Chubtone that may come with a case.

Check out their page, they have 2 used ones now that people traded back in towards something else. A cool rising sun graphic that's relic'ed and then a green one they sort of used as a guinea pig for pickup combos. They both look to be pretty good buys. Also, there are 1 or 2 floating around either here or TGP for sale.

I have a Chubtone. It rocks! Has the #1 neck profile and stainless jumbos. In my older age I prefer slightly more meat on a neck but this original San Dimas profile feels great on this one.

Still digging my Chubs...

#3 neck profile, just a smidge more beef, both have ebony boards. Sunburst has a Gotoh, other has a Floyd.

Attachments

• 405926533_18310970911117657_5241249414964598657_n.jpg
    405926533_18310970911117657_5241249414964598657_n.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-1209.jpg
    IMG-1209.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 12
Chubtone gets my first vote. Luxxtone is also great; but they are quite a bit more $$.

This is my 2021 Chubtone Steve Stevens Hamer replica...can't recommend Chubtone enough!

Attachments

• B5455356-147B-4248-9865-3F45217264A7.jpg
    B5455356-147B-4248-9865-3F45217264A7.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 13
Well I took your guys advice ….bought this one of da’ Verb👍🏻…stoked

Attachments

• IMG_0520.png
    IMG_0520.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0518.png
    IMG_0518.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
Well I took your guys advice ….bought this one of da’ Verb👍🏻…stoked
lol damn, I had that one in my favs and was gonna buy it cuz I wanting a relic superstrat. Let me know how it is when you get it....meany lol

lol damn, I had that one in my favs and was gonna buy it cuz I wanting a relic superstrat. Let me know how it is when you get it....meany lol
Ah , damn, sorry my dude , certainly didn’t mean to ‘gear block’ ya lol …yeah me thinks it’ll make a nice addition , I don’t have anything with a Floyd and I wanted ‘80’s hot rod’ style…should be a fun guitar !

Ah , damn, sorry my dude , certainly didn’t mean to ‘gear block’ ya lol …yeah me thinks it’ll make a nice addition , I don’t have anything with a Floyd and I wanted ‘80’s hot rod’ style…should be a fun guitar !
If you've never had a Floyd guitar, and are a bit of a diy'er, I'd invest in a few good Floyd specific tools to keep that thing in tip top shape. God forbid you want to change tuning, string gauge, etc and aren't properly equipped. As long as the knife edges are clean and in good shape, if you know the tricks of the trade, the guitar will quite literally never go out of tune more than the fine tuners can compensate for.

If you've never had a Floyd guitar, and are a bit of a diy'er, I'd invest in a few good Floyd specific tools to keep that thing in tip top shape. God forbid you want to change tuning, string gauge, etc and aren't properly equipped. As long as the knife edges are clean and in good shape, if you know the tricks of the trade, the guitar will quite literally never go out of tune more than the fine tuners can compensate for.
Great advice, thank you …I know VERY little about FR upkeep…definitely have to watch some videos on subject lol .

Back