Mahaffey Amps

• Thread starter Thread starter jerrydyer
  • Start date Start date
Saw Tris band open for... hmmm, Schenker or Y&T, maybe 18 months ago at the Coach House. Good player. He wanted me to make some hardwood cabs for him but the same as most with hardwood cabs, it never came to fruition.

yep. champaigne taste but beer budget. thats me too. I remember Striker back at the Woodstock at Knott and Ball. Did you dig the tones he was getting that night? check out the AW99

jerrydyer":hr3b46mx said:
yep. champaigne taste but beer budget. thats me too. I remember Striker back at the Woodstock at Knott and Ball. Did you dig the tones he was getting that night? check out the AW99

Yep, good tones and good playing for sure. I dug it enough to go compliment him when he was near my table.

Man I love this concept. I haven't been able to listen to the clips but will when I get home. I had heard of this a while back and couldn't remember the name. This is something I'm definitely going to check out. That head would be perfect for gigging with. I'm surprised that they don't get more attention.

Schaf":1obcwkm3 said:
Man I love this concept. I haven't been able to listen to the clips but will when I get home. I had heard of this a while back and couldn't remember the name. This is something I'm definitely going to check out. That head would be perfect for gigging with. I'm surprised that they don't get more attention.

Agreed. This little guy sounds pretty awesome.

It will be interesting to hear how they really sound. As a guy with a bad back, I'd love a 20 pound amp, I'd just be suspicious of how it sounds.

I just bought one from another player here in London, UK. In the past I've owned a Vox AC30 and a Music Man 2x10, and have played through many other classics: I have to say the Mahaffey Little Lanilei 3350 is possibly the sweetest sounding amp I have ever experienced. I once tried something really expensive by Orange which I still dream about, and the crisp sound of a HiWatt appeals, but this little tiger is up there scrapping with those kinds of beasts for sublime sound. The difference is, if you hold this in one hand and a six pack of beer in the other you'll be pretty evenly balanced! Not only that, but you'll also be set up for an excellent evening.

My only slight criticisms are that the gain switch on the rear is in a vulnerable place (I know of two or three cases of them getting broken, mine needed replacing when I bought the amp).
Also, it's cool that the line out doubles as a send/return effect loop but it's at the professional +4dB line level and with an amp this size I'm much more likely to have foot pedals with me than 19" rack gear so wish there was an option to run the effect loop matched to the levels and impedance needs of footpedals.

When playing through the built-in speaker I do like to add a touch of low end (I use a parametric eq pedal), but given the proportions of this thing it would be insane to make a big deal of that. It's worth knowing, too, that if you make a lot of use of very-clean-indeed high-headroom sounds then this might not be ideal for you, although there is another model designed around 'clean' and some report that this amp responds great to swapping out to valves of different gain ratings.

Overall, though, in a word: it's magnificent. I really REALLY like it and for now I just don't want to play through anything else.

if you read his info and do some slight research, tris has come up with a way to get a cerrem mod type tone in a preamp type setup the AW99 in essence is doing that sort of thing on a lower scale (safer area) .. lol great stuff. and his old boss was my old tech. I have a cassette tape of my friends band Outta Line and he plays a marshall modded by Tony. It sounds killer.

I agree that the Little Lanilei sounds killer in that video when he plugs it into the 412 cab. There is also a video of the AW99 that Tris did that sounds unbelievable. I have had some conversations with him and am still dabbling with the idea of getting one of his amps. I have heard the wait times are very long or at least they were. Like many of us, Tris has a regular gig and does this labor of love on the side. I can't confirm the wait times though. Check into it if you are interested.

The cool thing about this "new" crop of amp builders is that they grew up on the same tones that many of us did. A lot of the established amp builders are guys that grew up on the Clapton/Hendrix/Page tones and while those are cool too, those builders don't really get that we want our plexi's to sound like EVH's and not like Jimi's..... you know?

Check out this one of Tris and the AW99. His stuff is very affordable too. Very affordable.

Back