Marshall 4x12 Question

Badronald

I have a 1960a Marshall 4x12. It has the 75’s in it.
The cab is 16 ohms. What ohms are the individual speakers?

I don’t care for the speakers, not terrible, just not great. I’d like to replace. Creambacks, Greenbacks.

What works well with a modern amp like the 6505+ as well as a Marshall based amp?

I play rock.

Every T75 Marshall cab I've had has been 16 ohms, and each speaker is 16 also. GB style speakers are great with Marshalls, but are hit/miss with a modern toned amp IMO.
If you consider a Mesa Mark to be more modern tonewise I've had success with G12 65s with my 2C+ and 2B coli, and they are fantastic with Marshalls. They've also sounded great with VHT stuff, SLOs, EVH....I'd say they work well with everything I've had through the years. The Heritage versions sound just like the originals from the early 80s. The Marshall labeled ones from the late 70s are much brighter though, but still great.

I'm not sure about wiring ?
But every 1960 a cab that I have had the the speakers have been 16 ohm gt75 celestion.
there is a switch for ohms and two inputs.

I have tried many combinations in the cab.
My favorite is 2 25 greenbacks on top and v30's on bottom another good one is v30 and h30 in an x pattern .
The greenback combo sounds more raw yet smooth and woody to my ears while the v30 h30 combo cuts better in the mix and sounds a bit brighter.

Yep, 16 ohm speakers. Wired either in series/parallel or parallel/series.

Like stated above, the Greenback top/V30 bottom is a good mix as Friedman uses that combo in his cabs.

That being said, I'm really liking my Creamback H/M mix in my 212.

Thanks guys.
I have a 2x12 with Vintage 30’s in it. I’d like to pull them out, put them in the 4x12 and replace them with two 65 watt Creambacks to use with my Friedman PT-20.

Then later replace the remaining two 75’s I The 4x12 with Greenbacks. No hurry.

D-Rock":1llkhbbi said:
Have you tried running the cab at 4 ohms mono?

No. I’ve been using those Marshall cabs for 30 years and know I just don’t care for those speakers. I can make them work if I have to. If I do a fly date or just roll into a gig with a back line those cabs are ok.
But I know I need to change the speakers out.

Badronald":2zl95ihz said:
Thanks guys.
I have a 2x12 with Vintage 30’s in it. I’d like to pull them out, put them in the 4x12 and replace them with two 65 watt Creambacks to use with my Friedman PT-20.

Then later replace the remaining two 75’s I The 4x12 with Greenbacks. No hurry.

Good strategy. You may want to think about trying the Creamback H though too. I like it better than the M right now. I just got them in so breaking them in, but I like the tighter bottom and crunch of the H. They sound really good/big together.

Just remember that as soon as you put a Greenback in the cab it's handling capability is reduced to 100w.

I have an older Marshall JCM 900 1960A 4x12 cab that I bought used from Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA with only 2 Celestion G12T-75 speakers in it. I bought a couple of used Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, installed the speakers in an X configuration, replaced the missing speaker wiring, and wired the cab correctly for mono/stereo operation. I like the mixed Celestion speaker combination of the G12T-75 and Vintage 30 speakers with the G12T-75 speakers handling the highs & lows and the Vintage 30 speakers handling the mids. I modeled the speaker combination from the Bogner Uberkab.

Guitar George

Hamer95USA":1rgn3g22 said:
I have an older Marshall JCM 900 1960A 4x12 cab that I bought used from Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA with only 2 Celestion G12T-75 speakers in it. I bought a couple of used Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, installed the speakers in an X configuration, replaced the missing speaker wiring, and wired the cab correctly for mono/stereo operation. I like the mixed Celestion speaker combination of the G12T-75 and Vintage 30 speakers with the G12T-75 speakers handling the highs & lows and the Vintage 30 speakers handling the mids. I modeled the speaker combination from the Bogner Uberkab.

Guitar George

I’ll give that a shot!

Back