Marshall TSL vs DSL

• Thread starter Thread starter ty_tone
  • Start date Start date
T
ty_tone
Just got a TSL100 head. My second go around with them. Everyone seems to like the DSL better. Not having played the DSL, what seems to be the difference? Head does seem quite bright. Of course the guitar I am using has an EMG 81 in the bridge. The jury is still out if I'm keeping the EMG's or not. I do like the HA I put in the neck position though. I was also thinking about sending this one off to either Voodoo or FJA for mods. Does anyone have any experience with the TSL mods from either? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, yea. Using a PV Butcher cab with g12 85's.

I had both, and the tone of the DSL just smoked the TSL. I'm not sure why. You would think that the TSL would sound the same, but give added options, but they were not even close. Voodoo is on the forum now, they have modded tons of TSL's, and overall have great reviews, I'm sure Trace would be happy to answer any questions. I have a buddy in a nearby town that has one of his TSL's, he loves it. It's WAY better than it was stock. We had a peek inside, and the workmanship was top-notch. I haven't heard one of Jerrys, but a lot of guys here love'em. I'm sure you'd be fine either way - Jim :thumbsup:

I've had both as well. The DSL seemed more orgainic and bigger sounding.

There is actually a small difference between the two circuit wise. The TSL uses a smaller coupling cap in the pre-amp section I don't have the schematic in front of me but I believe it's C16 on the main board. This is why the DSL lead channel sounds bigger.

Having owned the TSL, I think the DSL sounds muddier (having played on my guitarist's DSL 100).

According to marshall, they are two differently voiced amps, and are not meant to sound the same

I plan on buying a DSL100 sometime next May, the main reason is because Fall Out Boy uses them live, and I really dig their live tone (although I am not a big fan of the band, but their new album looks promising)

I've heard both amps, and the DSL seems to have more low end and some more gain on it, but I do love the TSL sound, and the TSL gives you 3 channels with seperate EQ's for each (on the 100 watt head) and has a little tweaking options, and is more of a tweaker's amp, whereas the DSL is more straight forward

If you are thinking about swapping for a DSL, I would fully demo it and see what you like best

Oh, and FJA mods are some of the best, and they do a lot of work with marshalls, getting a Mercury Magnetics Transformer would do the TSL a lot of good (they tend to have issues with the stock ones) and if you bought it new and haven't already, swap the tubes out for some better ones :thumbsup:

Red":2juy2ytg said:
I plan on buying a DSL100 sometime next May, the main reason is because Fall Out Boy uses them live, and I really dig their live tone (although I am not a big fan of the band, but their new album looks promising)

:

:gethim:

Back