Mesa mark V 25, 35, or 90 ?

• Thread starter Thread starter ElectricVoodoo
  • Start date Start date
ElectricVoodoo
ElectricVoodoo
I know its probably been asked before, but I am really wanting my next amp to be a mark series.
I am going to pass on the JP2C though,

That being said, can anyone chime in on the difference, tone wise, between the 25, 35, or 90.

For the xtra 1k difference in between the 25 and 90, Im deciding,
Also, the 35 being only $300 more than the 25, is very tempting,

Either way, gigging volume is a must, but i am hoping that tonally, they share the same qualities. Headroom obviously will affect it and I am aware.

The 35 would work for live gigging but if you want headroom and larger feel - the 90w is the way to go.

I think even the 25 would work for gigging, but I like the 90 personally. It has the most headroom, and sounds the best at-home volumes too. I think the 25 and 35 are best suited to small venue gigging where you DON'T want the headroom.

For what its worth, I have been gigging a Mark V 25 for years with zero complaints. I do always mic it though. I use it with a Mesa Thiele cab and its been great. Good luck on your search, I personally don't think you can go wrong with any choice here.

Of those I would say MKIII with a depthmod. I have one and two C+ and still wouldn't sell mine, they can be found for next to nothing. Next up would be a IV and they have the depthmod stock. You don't even have to crank em to get great tones either.

If the 25 wasn't mic'd, would it be loud enough for bar gigs?

I have used it at a small gig or two with out it mic'd and it did fine for me. My drummer doesnt hit terribly hard so it wasnt too bad. I think it would do a small bar unmic'd just fine so long as the whole band isnt super loud. I play in a 3 piece so we can manage the volume ok.

I have used it at a gig with no cab just to try the cab clone. It wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. I will say I have tried other amps but for gigging the mark v 25 is just works for me.

I sold my Mark III combo and a Marshall Dsl half stack, after a year with the mark v 25.

spawn802":2my7kog2 said:
I have used it at a small gig or two with out it mic'd and it did fine for me. My drummer doesnt hit terribly hard so it wasnt too bad. I think it would do a small bar unmic'd just fine so long as the whole band isnt super loud. I play in a 3 piece so we can manage the volume ok.

I have used it at a gig with no cab just to try the cab clone. It wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. I will say I have tried other amps but for gigging the mark v 25 is just works for me.

I sold my Mark III combo and a Marshall Dsl half stack, after a year with the mark v 25.

What channel/modes are you using live?

I've had all Mark amps but the I and just bought a Five 35. This is the best Mark since the IIC+. Only place I can see it falling short is in the volume of a full metal show where you're not micing up.

We just commented back n forth on your YT vid. Lol
Awesome !!

For cleans I usually use the fat setting with the gain around 11 oclock. For the distortion I've had it on the xtreme setting with the gain at 1 oclock. In the past I used the IIc setting alot. They are all pretty good. I will hit the clean channel with a russian big muff or an ocd pedal for a few songs too.

The Mark V's, any of them are great and easy to dial in a great sound in minutes. I have used all V series and the JP2C, all just top notch.

The Mark IV is the best if you like endless tweaking like I do, and the tone is wider than any of the V's or the JP2C.

As far as value goes, the Mark III is brutal, the real deal and will annihilate most amps at any cost.

Before I bought this Five 35 I seriously considered a III green stripe. I've previously had a III red stripe and two blue stripes. Why a green? Because I wanted to experience a pentode wired vintage Mark. I ended up passing on it because I've sold all three IIIs I've had, and I've been through so many vintage Marks & have finally found my personal grail in this late IIB Coli that Racer turned me onto. Anyway... I've come to the point where I highly value a pentode / triode switch on my Mark amp.

Everyone has their opinions but I'm as happy as I could be with this 35.

I would take a mkiv over the small mkv's.

Also my mkiv loves E34L's. That woke the amp up. As far as the mkiv and mkv goes that is a tough one IMO.

when the stars align I will snag a mkiii.

swamptrashstompboxes":3b1dbzsq said:
Disagree.
I had a MKIV, Rev A, and did not gel with the Rhythm2 channel. Clean was gorgeous, lead was succulent, but it was temperamental too.

Sold it, got a MkV:25 and love it. The sound of the Crunch mode is worth the price of admission alone and I can guarantee you THAT tone cannot be found in the Mark IV.

I agree with Speeddemon. My IVa had one really epic lead tone and it was hard to dial in. One great thing that my Five 35 does, like the Mark IIB and IIC+, is that you can sweep the knob and there are really no bad tones. The III and the IV cannot claim this. I prefer the 35 to my IV. I preferred my IIC++ to the Five 35, but when you sell the C++ for 4 grand & buy the 35 for $1500 it makes up for it, especially when you consider gigging.

So why are the IIC+ so valued?
Have they not been able to capture that tone in post Mark versions?

Also, I've heard many people state that Marks are not easy to dial in? I briefly plugged into a V 25 and got a pretty sweet tone quickly. Anyhow, as a person who's primarily and currently own nothing but Marshall's, this MV is going to be a breath of fresh air!

GJgo":2lhcz441 said:
I agree with Speeddemon. My IVa had one really epic lead tone and it was hard to dial in. One great thing that my Five 35 does, like the Mark IIB and IIC+, is that you can sweep the knob and there are really no bad tones. The III and the IV cannot claim this. I prefer the 35 to my IV. I preferred my IIC++ to the Five 35, but when you sell the C++ for 4 grand & buy the 35 for $1500 it makes up for it, especially when you consider gigging.

I just use the lead mostly, which is likely why I am content. If I doing anything clean I just use one of my fenders or the clean on the mkiv suffices. I have no issues dialing the mkiv in.

While I agree that the rhythm channel is the weakness, which it definitely is, is definitely still good enough for a gig.

The mkv does have some nice extra features that the mkiv does not have.

Also the difference from 6L6's moving to E34L's made a huge difference for me.

Speeddemon":3g6bid17 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3g6bid17 said:
Disagree.
I had a MKIV, Rev A, and did not gel with the Rhythm2 channel. Clean was gorgeous, lead was succulent, but it was temperamental too.

Sold it, got a MkV:25 and love it. The sound of the Crunch mode is worth the price of admission alone and I can guarantee you THAT tone cannot be found in the Mark IV.

Man, the 25 dirt channels are spectacular. Loved that amp. However, with loud gigs, I'm sure it'll hang, but it runs out of gas pretty quick, (before noon, I found). Sweet spot was about 10:00.

Speeddemon":3kg1cew8 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3kg1cew8 said:
Disagree.

For $250 you can send the Mark IV to boogie and have them mod the crunch channel into another lead channel. Seeing how Mark IV’s are selling for $700-800, you could have a $1000 amp that kills.

I’ve owned Mark IIC+ IC++, Mark III’s, Mark IV’s, Mark V:25 and am down to a Mark IVa. It has tons of options and sounds great. Of course not as good as a 2C++, but it’s damn close.

Back