Metal riffs on my modded slax

• Thread starter Thread starter LunatiBSW
  • Start date Start date
Whoa, who modded that for you? It's got a nice grind to it.

Maybe just the way the cell phone mic picked it up, but seems to have a bit of harsh high end going on. Regardless, im hearing a nasty grind on that thing. Really growing my curiosity on this amp every time I hear clips of it. Seem you enjoy it by the look on your face in the video, too!

Yeah, let us know what the mods were done. Sounds mean. Cheers!

KSE :rawk:

Can you compare this to your other amps please?

lockingtuner":3oyfunmn said:
Dave Friedman modded it. This amp is my gem.

knightbrolaire":3oyfunmn said:
jesus that has a ton of cut to it.

Hell yeah, I have it dialed in more viscous.

Bad.Seed":3oyfunmn said:
Maybe just the way the cell phone mic picked it up, but seems to have a bit of harsh high end going on. Regardless, im hearing a nasty grind on that thing. Really growing my curiosity on this amp every time I hear clips of it. Seem you enjoy it by the look on your face in the video, too!

Yeah The position was picking up a little more highs. It’s boosted with a savage drive, which is brighter and adds attack also. I love this amp. It’s really great and sounds great with all my cabs and guitars, which I can’t say about all my amps.

Junk Yard Dog":3oyfunmn said:

Dave did some custom stuff for me, values wise. I wanted as pissed off as he could make it. He said this was the most if would go before it lost musicality. Which Im guessing was him saying lost his DNA.
I def wanted the variable NFB, it has a switch for the clean channel to make it a plexi clean, which is stellar. Channel one could be an amp on its own.
The special mod is the one we came up with, it brings the hate.

firejack":3oyfunmn said:
Nice growl! Sounds ace. Great playing too.

Thanks bro, I appreciate that! The growl this produces is nothing short of astonishing.
The cab helps too.

311splawndude":3oyfunmn said:

Love killswitch, this amp prob is my favorite. It has all of the things I like in my amps, but FEELS so awesome as well. It’s super brutal, but yet has the richness to the tone, that is not ear fatiguing at all.
I’m so inspired every time I play this amp.
My multi watt recto has a lot more low mids and lowend thump. The eq is also scooped on the dual rec.
The Butterslax def is a mid forward amp. Def Marshall DNA but with some nice modern touches.
My slax needs no boost, but can take one well. The recto sounds best with a boost (sometimes an eq in the loop also).
The wizard punches hard for 50w.
It’s very picky about cabs/speakers. It likes my Friedman 412:15 by far the best.
The wizard has the Hiwatt meets Marshall thing and it’s unique for sure. It sounds best loud. Way less saturation on this puppy. It’s a cool tone though, very addicting.
The Jp2c can get me Metallica all day long and is the main reason I got it.
I wanted a clean channel and modern conveniences over the 2c+.
It slays but has lots more saturation and the onboard eq makes it so brutal. It’s a faster amp with a little bounce which is addictive. The clean channel with onboard reverb is so awesome for clean stuff.
This amp has so many features and the shred mode gets your super tight and aggressive.
Still waiting on the d120, I ordered before Xmas, and they added me to the original masterbuild group. But had to order another tranny which is taking forever apparently.
That thing will slay I’m sure. Let me know if you got any specifics?
Liking these amps a lot right now though.

I want a Butterslax bad. I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger at 36-3800 or even 3000. Although if Zzounds started carrying them it would be ordered in a second.

I just got a 2017 BE100 and sold my Slax recently—would love to have kept it. Needed cash for car down payment. I chose to keep the BE50 as it has a nasty gain to it as well. Love all three, but want my BE to have slightly more aggressive gain. The Frequency switch sounds like what Dave added to the 100 DLX.

Perhaps we can compare them at the ampfest if you can do March 23rd.

I really liked the Mesa JP2C when I had it for a few days. I agree that it’s tight with some bounce. I found the graphic eq was key.

Awesome stable of amps you have there!

Junk Yard Dog":6n0edq20 said:
I just got a 2017 BE100 and sold my Slax recently—would love to have kept it. Needed cash for car down payment. I chose to keep the BE50 as it has a nasty gain to it as well. Love all three, but want my BE to have slightly more aggressive gain. The Frequency switch sounds like what Dave added to the 100 DLX.

Perhaps we can compare them at the ampfest if you can do March 23rd.

I really liked the Mesa JP2C when I had it for a few days. I agree that it’s tight with some bounce. I found the graphic eq was key.

Awesome stable of amps you have there!

Nope to the mods similarities. I can tell you they are different. My mod is a whole diff eq, and where the freq is let in to the tonestack. I believe the be100 freq is for the thump control which would be more related to the lowend spectrum.
I can assure you that none of the other Friedman’s get as brutal as mine. You have to remember the slax starts off more aggressive than any other Friedman. Then I had it modded to what I wanted, not a standard mod or one offered on another amp. Most people prob don’t want it as extreme as I went, especially the normal Friedman crowd.
Dave has to think what the normal public wants.
My slax is badass, but part of the equation is the 412:15 cab.
I played my buddy’s be50, one of the first ones actually.
It was a cool amp, but not my first choice for metal.

LunatiBSW":1tu4kvz2 said:
lockingtuner":1tu4kvz2 said:

knightbrolaire":1tu4kvz2 said:

Bad.Seed":1tu4kvz2 said:

Yeah The position was picking up a little more highs. It’s boosted with a savage drive, which is brighter and adds attack also. I love this amp. It’s really great and sounds great with all my cabs and guitars, which I can’t say about all my amps.

Junk Yard Dog":1tu4kvz2 said:

Dave did some custom stuff for me, values wise. I wanted as pissed off as he could make it. He said this was the most if would go before it lost musicality. Which Im guessing was him saying lost his DNA.
I def wanted the variable NFB, it has a switch for the clean channel to make it a plexi clean, which is stellar. Channel one could be an amp on its own.

firejack":1tu4kvz2 said:

Thanks bro, I appreciate that! The growl this produces is nothing short of astonishing.
The cab helps too.

311splawndude":1tu4kvz2 said:

Love killswitch, this amp prob is my favorite. It has all of the things I like in my amps, but FEELS so awesome as well. It’s super brutal, but yet has the richness to the tone, that is not ear fatiguing at all.
My multi watt recto has a lot more low mids and lowend thump. The eq is also scooped on the dual rec.
The Butterslax def is a mid forward amp. Def Marshall DNA but with some nice modern touches.
My slax needs no boost, but can take one well. The recto sounds best with a boost (sometimes an eq in the loop also).
It’s very picky about cabs/speakers. It likes my Friedman 412:15 by far the best.
The wizard has the Hiwatt meets Marshall thing and it’s unique for sure. It sounds best loud. Way less saturation on this puppy. It’s a cool tone though, very addicting.
It slays but has lots more saturation and the onboard eq makes it so brutal. It’s a faster amp with a little bounce which is addictive. The clean channel with onboard reverb is so awesome for clean stuff.
This amp has so many features and the shred mode gets your super tight and aggressive.
Still waiting on the d120, I ordered before Xmas, and they added me to the original masterbuild group. But had to order another tranny which is taking forever apparently.
Nice clip! That Slax does sound killer. You've got a cool collection, lots of great tones. If you ever get a chance to try a real deal C+, do it. As cool as the JP is, it's still not a true C+. Maybe someone puts one up locally and you can give it a go...they are a lot of cash to try out. But the feel is unlike any amp out there. It's like your fingers are attached to the strings...hard to describe but that's the best I can do. For me it's addicting. With all the great amps you have, and like most others here it's really the small things between amps that can make all the difference. At least for me it is.
:rock:

Racerxrated":2hg412x7 said:
LunatiBSW":2hg412x7 said:
lockingtuner":2hg412x7 said:

knightbrolaire":2hg412x7 said:

Bad.Seed":2hg412x7 said:

Junk Yard Dog":2hg412x7 said:

firejack":2hg412x7 said:

The cab helps too.

311splawndude":2hg412x7 said:

Nice clip! That Slax does sound killer. You've got a cool collection, lots of great tones. If you ever get a chance to try a real deal C+, do it. As cool as the JP is, it's still not a true C+. Maybe someone puts one up locally and you can give it a go...they are a lot of cash to try out. But the feel is unlike any amp out there. It's like your fingers are attached to the strings...hard to describe but that's the best I can do. For me it's addicting. With all the great amps you have, and like most others here it's really the small things between amps that can make all the difference. At least for me it is.

Thanks for the compliment.
My buddy has a real c+. He just bought it before he had to move away for work. It needed to get some new tubes through it, so I didn’t get to give it a go before he moved.
Fast forward........ So I’m waiting for him to finish building his house on the east coast, with a legit basement studio. Then I’ll get to give the real deal c+ a run through, hopefully lay down some tracks with it also.
I bet they are badass, but I just wanted a badass metal tone.
I wasn’t really concerned how exactly close to the OG it was, I just knew it could get a crushing metal tone. And it does that in spades, with a really fantastic clean channel and reverb. I’m happy for now.
But I am gassing for the new Fortin Cali.

LunatiBSW":xh2hjmeq said:
Racerxrated":xh2hjmeq said:
LunatiBSW":xh2hjmeq said:
lockingtuner":xh2hjmeq said:

knightbrolaire":xh2hjmeq said:

Bad.Seed":xh2hjmeq said:

Junk Yard Dog":xh2hjmeq said:

firejack":xh2hjmeq said:

The cab helps too.

311splawndude":xh2hjmeq said:

Thanks for the compliment.
My buddy has a real c+. He just bought it before he had to move away for work. It needed to get some new tubes through it, so I didn’t get to give it a go before he moved.
Fast forward........ So I’m waiting for him to finish building his house on the east coast with a legit basement studio. Then I’ll ge to give the real deal c+ a run through.
I bet they are badass, but I just wanted a badass metal tone.
I wasn’t really concerned how exactly close to the OG it was, I just knew it could get a crushing metal tone. And it does that in spades, with a really fantastic clean channel and reverb. I’m happy for now.
Absolutely. The JP is a great amp and deserves all the praise it gets. Anyone who is a high gain amp enthusiast should try a C+ if they can, just to see what all the fuss is about. It might be something you pass on, or be the greatest experience in a metal tone ever.
Some guys dig a MK III as much...I found them VERY different.

Back