Mixing tracks with tones you don't really like is tough

DanTravis62

I tried doing an original with a recto profile and a BE100 profile and it's a little rough.

Especially trying to work in the drums and synth and sound effects into the frequency range, which I was really not used to.

Anyway, here's my first rough mix - i just improvised the solos, so I'm probably going to redo those with a few takes to make it sound like I know what I'm doing lol

I think the leads sound great. Not sure about the rhythm. Just a little more loose than what i usually hear from you. Cool fucking song though. I like the drums too for the most part

I think the leads sound great. Not sure about the rhythm. Just a little more loose than what i usually hear from you. Cool fucking song though. I like the drums too for the most part

Yeah I'm not used to mixing it either

I don't like the rhythm tones as much as some of your other stuff, but dig the tune. Been listening to a lot of Mercyful Fate lately and that's the vibe I got from it.

:cheers:

I don't like the rhythm tones as much as some of your other stuff, but dig the tune. Been listening to a lot of Mercyful Fate lately and that's the vibe I got from it.

:cheers:

And yes mercyful fate has been my biggest influence as far as originals go

The leads are a combo of diezel VH4 profile and wagner crossroads neck pickup, which is super articulate in the right guitar

Ah yes - mixing. The Sound Engineer assigned to mixing songs is often overlooked and contributes a significant portion to the the finial outcome. He is arguably the "5th member" of a 4 piece band.

Cool tune. Takes me back to the melodic Euro-metal of the early 80s that I cut my teeth on.

I've found that dialing back the gain/saturation on rhythm tones helps them cut better in a mix. For some reason, I always find that the recorded overdriven amp sounds sound somewhat more distorted than the sound of the amp in the room, so I end up dialing the amp with less of that gain than I would have expected to use.

Thanks for sharing.

Back