Most realistic amp sim on PC?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
sold all my rack/stacks and now looking for some good amp sims on the PC for light recording/practicing.
any advice?

also what audio interface/monitors/speakers etc are good?

Peavey Revalver sounds pretty good straight out of the box with its 5150/6505 sims. I haven't tinkered with the rest of it enough to know whether or not the rest of the stuff in it can be any good.

Amplitube has always been real nice, but I always ran other impulse responses for the cabinets.

Softtube makes some nice sims as well.

Guitar Rig (I think that's what it's called) is pretty cool.

As far as an interface for a PC, it depends on how much you want to spend. For preamps and converters all within the same box, Prism is at the top. Then, you have RME. After that, it's a dime or dozen. Some Presonus stuff is all right, but I'm not a fan of their headphone amps.

Monitors... again... It's how much you want to spend. If you want to drop 1500 on a pair of monitors, look at some Adam monitors. If you don't want to spend that much, a lot of guys use KRK monitors. Tannoy Reveal monitors aren't bad for the money.

Also, you can always buy a cheaper interface with decent converters and pick up a nice budget external preamp or two. Black Lion Audio makes some nice API and Neve clones.

Hopefully, you will get some more ideas from some of the others around here, as these are just my own at the spur of the moment.

Good luck!

veji":32l3okhm said:
thanks.. are there any amp sims comparable to kemper/axefx?

I haven't played either. With tweaking, you can pull off a lot of great tones inside the box. The Kemper and the AxeFx are good tools for what they are, but I don't think I could honestly ever be satisfied with either one of them. That's just me, and others mileage may vary.

Those LePou amps are the shit.....I just got a new interface today and was running thru seeing what I liked. Those really stood out.

The TSE X50 is a great one of a 6505, and the Nick Crow stuff is bomb too.

I use Peavey Revalver, Guitar Rig 4, Scuffham S-Gear and Amplitube 3. For my ears S-Gear ist the most realistic one of those four and Guitar Rig has the best GUI and effects. I use Event 20/20 monitors and a RME HDSP 9632 audio interface für practicing at home.

veji":1hty1d6v said:
Which interface? And daw?

Focusrite Forte and Reaper. Reaper is amazing as far as DAWs go, and it's basically free to try; once you've evaluated it it'll kick on a msg that asks you to buy it, but it's only $60. It's really deep for what it is, and I can't imagine needing more out of a DAW for a long time. If all you're going to do is light recording, snag it. The Forte is cool if you only need 2 inputs; preamps are nice and full and it sounds great, plus you can use it to control DAW functions.

I will say this on every amp sim thread.

If you play metal by chance and are looking for good high gain tone.

Head over to the Sneap forums and find the Baron Custom Amp Sim.

It eats Nick Crow and Lepou for breakfast. (in my un-humble opinion of course)

Steinmetzify":l2deggwd said:
On it, thanks!

Definitely worth checking out.

Not to take anything away from Nick or Lepou because they can sound great.

But for me, with my application. The Baron Sounded better out of the gate with everything set at noon than lots of time spent tweaking the Nick Crow or any Lepou plugins.

maddnotez":3slf296j said:
I will say this on every amp sim thread.

If you play metal by chance and are looking for good high gain tone.

Head over to the Sneap forums and find the Baron Custom Amp Sim.

It eats Nick Crow and Lepou for breakfast. (in my un-humble opinion of course)

I'll have to check that one out. The Le Pou "Legion" amp sim (which is not based on any existing amp) is amazing. One of the best metal tones I've ever heard or played with. If the Baron sim is better, I'm interested.

For monitors it depends what your willing to spend. In the lower end ones, i Highly recommend the JBL LSR305 (150usd each). I tried side by side at least 10 monitors under 400usd (including krk, presonus, yamaha, m audio...) and they where far superior in every compartment.

AmpliTube is the one I use the most for "realistic" sounding amps... I do recall Revalver being good for high gain stuff.

I spend most of my time in Guitar Rig though, between the splitters, crossovers, and modifiers you can do all sorts of really cool stuff that isn't quite as possible with analog effects.

None cooler those guys kickin down the free plug-ins.

Lecto is my favorite. It sounds good with all knobs straight up on the lead channel. Couple of nudges hear and there.

It's all about the whole plug in chain. I usually end up with 8 or more. Some aux send tracks for verb, delay, and compressors for better wet/dry control. The Variety of Sound stuff is irreplaceable. Ferric TDS is instant tone for amp sims. His new ThrillseekerLA and VintageVBL kick ass on guitars. ReaEQ and ReaDelay are usually there too.

All of these need the Tube Screamer. The ones from TSE and Ignite are excellent.

TSE just put out a full package for like 100 bucks. Amps, cab loader, tuner, delay, etc. Download a trial.

PatF":2x6d78d8 said:
None cooler those guys kickin down the free plug-ins.

Lecto is my favorite. It sounds good with all knobs straight up on the lead channel. Couple of nudges hear and there.

It's all about the whole plug in chain. I usually end up with 8 or more. Some aux send tracks for verb, delay, and compressors for better wet/dry control. The Variety of Sound stuff is irreplaceable. Ferric TDS is instant tone for amp sims. His new ThrillseekerLA and VintageVBL kick ass on guitars. ReaEQ and ReaDelay are usually there too.

All of these need the Tube Screamer. The ones from TSE and Ignite are excellent.

TSE just put out a full package for like 100 bucks. Amps, cab loader, tuner, delay, etc. Download a trial.

That is one issue I had.

I could never get the TSE to work for some reason.

If that was in the chain I am sure my results would have been different, however I still liked the Baron.

These days I do not use the sims. I have BIAS and Jam up and they beat any sim I have ever used.

Back