Motor City Afwayu vs Dimarzio tone zone?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
i need a thick/meaty/ballsy humbucker for my thin/bright maple/maple strat.
Which would be better for my strat? tone zone or afwayu?

I had both and both would thicken up your strat for sure, the awayfu has a bit more snot but is double the price.

Check out the air norton. Surprisingly good bridge pickup in an overly bright guitar.

I have an Afwayu inbound for a Custom Shop Fender strat with Floyd Rose. It currently has a Duncan 59 in the bridge and it to sounds too thin with my amps and gear. Ill let you know how it goes. Im hoping it too will beef up the guitar.

worth noting i played tonezones for years, and found out they do not like downtuning - things get very undefined quickly when you get below Eb. if you have an overly bright guitar though, it will definately tame the beast and offer plently of output at the same time!

between the two i would recommend the tonezone IF and only IF your tuning is above Eb

232cap":rc4kzz82 said:
I had both and both would thicken up your strat for sure, the awayfu has a bit more snot but is double the price.

which is thicker/meatier? the tone zone or the Afwayu? also which has less treble/high mids?
i am looking for lots of lows/low mids/mids because my guitar has tons of treble and high mids.
thanks

Understand, I'm pretty much a Dimarzio Fanboi and the Tone Zone is probably one of the worst-sounding, inflexible pickups I've ever heard. It is intended for one very specific purpose: to tame the highs of an overly-bright guitar. Beyond that, avoid it--if it's high-cut and low mids you're looking for, try the Super 3.

I have an Afwayu. I wouldnt say they tame a bright guitar to be honest. I found the exact opposite. Put one in my wolfgang and it made it brighter, then I put a tone zone in and it sounded better

Wade at MCP is very cool. I talked with him and he insisted that I send back the pup for some 'tweaking'. I did and just put it in my Axis (sold the wolfgang btw). Now it is not as bright and is really 'fat' sounding. Though it is much better than before it still is not my cup of tea...at least in my Axis :no:

Im gonna put the stock pup back in. I just dont think there is a better match for my Axis then the stock pups.

I'll sell the Afwayu to you if you want it...for cheap. Now that he re-wound it I can guarantee it will tame the brightness of you guitar. Good sounding pup and a great company

glpg80":1xq8p4mq said:
worth noting i played tonezones for years, and found out they do not like downtuning - things get very undefined quickly when you get below Eb. if you have an overly bright guitar though, it will definately tame the beast and offer plently of output at the same time!

between the two i would recommend the tonezone IF and only IF your tuning is above Eb

bro, i gotta respectfullly disagree on this..IF you set the tone zone up properly on a properly setup guitar, it cound sound MONEY for lower tunings!!!!

i have one in an old EPI les paul from the 80's, and it's tuned to D standard, and usually in drop c...and it fuckin CRUSHES...i have run dean markely blue steel LTHB sets of strings (10-52) with this guitar and pickup combination for a LONG time.
the thicker strings may provide for better more stable tune down low, but even when i was running thinner strings lower (tuned to b/dropA) it was dead on, albeit really flimsy feeling. the key with the tone zone with lower tunings is the pickup is wound pretty hot, and pretty bassy...back off the bass side to just on the other side of 1/8" but keep the other side still around 1/16". the "see saw" toward the treble strings side should get you in the ballpark.
truly, it's worth trying!
good luck!
G

veji":2sy225bj said:
232cap":2sy225bj said:

which is thicker/meatier? the tone zone or the Afwayu? also which has less treble/high mids?
i am looking for lots of lows/low mids/mids because my guitar has tons of treble and high mids.
thanks

get a tone zone from GC, if you don't like it, take it back then try the more expensive pickup ...or try both. video both with a few riffs high and low, and you decide then.

i'd recommend the tone zone with the settings above this post that i previously wrote.

I have played many tonezones, because they are bass heavy and mids focused you lose alot of definition, which you admit you are compensating for with the physical location of the pole pieces.

Its not a bad sounding pickup, i recommended it too in this thread over the other, however its a pain in the ass the lower you go. went to seymour duncan for the application i was looking for and problem solved for my tonal needs - no need in dealing with a phinicky pickup.

veji":18alqckk said:
232cap":18alqckk said:

thanks

If this is what you're looking for, I'd go with the Afwayu. Tons of lows/low mids.

Lord Toneking":2a3lkl66 said:
Im gonna put the stock pup back in. I just dont think there is a better match for my Axis then the stock pups.

Amen, even Steve Stevens experimented with his BareKnuckle signature pickup in it, and he went back to stock (me too, lol). He keeps using his sig in Les Pauls though.

For the OP quest, I would say a BareKnuckle Holy Diver is the solution!

I preferred the TZ to the Afwayu. Maybe it was the guitar (mahog Jackson SL2) but the Afwayu was a mess - double the cost and it sounded pretty bad (lots of hi end shrill). Because of the "confidential" legal stuff Wade puts in his emails, I can only say "no comment" with my experience in dealing with MCP. More cash doesn't always equate to better.

DM

Back