multi effects... help me out.

• Thread starter Thread starter guitar_played
  • Start date Start date
guitar_played
guitar_played
I want delay, flanger, phaser, chorus, weird sounds in general.
distortions don't really matter, and amp modelling isn't a hugely important feature for me.
I'd just like to have modulations and delays all in one convenient box, with presets.

Although amp modelling and distortion aren't priorities, it seems that everything in the price range i'm aiming for includes these.
I'll have to give a bunch of setups a try, but can anyone tell me about their experience with PodXT Live and boss GT-8?

Well, do you want a floor unit or do you want a rack unit? Also, what's your budget?

>|<>QBB<
Code001":fd14f said:
Well, do you want a floor unit or do you want a rack unit? Also, what's your budget?
I'm aiming for something under 700$.

A floorboard unit is prefferred. Rack wouldn't be bad, if i can get a floor controller for it and still stay under budget.

I guess that rules out the G-System. :P The GT-8 is actually a very good unit, but I dunno how the PodXT Live is. I've actually never used a Pod in my life so....

You'll have more overall versatility and expansion power with a rack setup, but if you're looking for a nice simple setup, it's hard to beat those all-in-one units, especially with the GT-8's 4 cable method. If you wanna go the rack way, a MIDIMate is like $160 shipped.

I don't know of any good flanger rack unit on the market at all. Hell, there really isn't ANY good flanger out there except for the original A/DA one and the extremely expensive FOXROX PARADOX TZF.

The Replifex/MultiValve/Xpression units do a very nice Phaser sound though. A phaser pedal in front of the amp will ultimately sound better, but it can easily create some great phaser sounds.

Not sure if you've seen my posts before hand, but I'm a huge fan of combining an Intellifex/Intellipitch/Intelliverb with a Replifex/MultiValve/Xpression. If you search hard enough, you can get both units for less than the price of a new G-Major. If you want simplicity and one rack unit, the G-Major has no other competitor in its price range. In the end, you just gotta think of what setup you could live with and try out the units for yourself.

Line6 Pod xtlive
Tc Electronics Gmajor with a boss FC 50 or similar

Cheers
Anthony

>|<>QBB<
flying_high":ce1da said:
what about something like this?

http://www.music123.com/Digitech-RP250-Guitar-Effect-i751420.music
\
Can't stand the sound of the digitech stuff. Doesn't have the features i want in the areas of delays and modulations.

I used to play with a guy who used a PODxT live. It had some cool sounds. i'll check those out.

Can't stand the sound of the digitech stuff. Doesn't have the features i want in the areas of delays and modulations.

Dude you ever tried the Digitech 2101 preamp processor :o
i happen to love the effects a little better then my Boss Stuff :)
every hour im on it i just cringe :lol:

did you check out a used lexicon mpx-g2 ? I use two of them in my rig and I just love them, great sound and feature set, my tc g force has seen no guitar use since I got them ...

For use with an amp, the Boss GT-8 is pretty much outright superior to the Pod XT Live if you ask me.

The Pod has a bunch of synth effects, and some are cool, but they aren't really adjustable and most of them are useless, just like with the amp models. They're basically just random arrangements of noises and harmony settings that you can't change. It also just has a pitch shifter effect that does not do intelligent harmony.

The GT-8 has just a few synth effects, but they're extremely adjustable, and you can run the intelligent harmonizer with up to two voices, a synth effect, reverb, delay, chorus, OD/distortion, and two amp models all at the same time, and then arrange everything in any order you like, so you can basically make your own synth effects. The feedback effect is also pretty cool for making weird sounds.

I hate the way the Pod's effects groups are layed out. It's nice that it has those extra footswitches for them, but since you can't adjust what does what and you are limited to one from each category, it's pretty useless to me in comparison. Even though the GT-8 doesn't have extra footswitches just for turning effects on and off, you can still put it in manual mode, and then it can turn just about everything on and off with a footswitch, so that's probably better for most people, anyways.

The GT-8 has a loop, channel switching capability, and is just way more adjustable, which I think makes it a lot better suited to use with an amp. I think the amp modelling is a bit better, too. They don't sound terribly different, but once again, the GT-8 is far more adjustable and it's easier to get what you want out of it between the two amp channels at once thing and the much more parametric-like EQ. You can also do some cool stuff with the stereo two channel setup and the thing where it changes between the channels depending on how hard you pick.

It also has the sound hold feature where you can press the CTL footswitch to make it hold whatever you are playing, and then play something over it. I haven't really messed with that, but I'm sure you could do all sorts of strange and inventive things with that.

The only possible drawback to the GT-8 is that it does not have USB. Just SPDIF. Although I don't really record direct, I actually prefer that, because then I don't have to go changing drivers around with some of my programs, but I'd imagine lots of people have no SPDIF connection.

If you don't want the synth stuff, though, you might consider the Kurzweil Mangler and a MIDI controller.

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":62ba7 said:
For use with an amp, the Boss GT-8 is pretty much outright superior to the Pod XT Live if you ask me.

The Pod has a bunch of synth effects, and some are cool, but they aren't really adjustable and most of them are useless, just like with the amp models. They're basically just random arrangements of noises and harmony settings that you can't change. It also just has a pitch shifter effect that does not do intelligent harmony.

The GT-8 has just a few synth effects, but they're extremely adjustable, and you can run the intelligent harmonizer with up to two voices, a synth effect, reverb, delay, chorus, OD/distortion, and two amp models all at the same time, and then arrange everything in any order you like, so you can basically make your own synth effects. The feedback effect is also pretty cool for making weird sounds.

I hate the way the Pod's effects groups are layed out. It's nice that it has those extra footswitches for them, but since you can't adjust what does what and you are limited to one from each category, it's pretty useless to me in comparison. Even though the GT-8 doesn't have extra footswitches just for turning effects on and off, you can still put it in manual mode, and then it can turn just about everything on and off with a footswitch, so that's probably better for most people, anyways.

The GT-8 has a loop, channel switching capability, and is just way more adjustable, which I think makes it a lot better suited to use with an amp. I think the amp modelling is a bit better, too. They don't sound terribly different, but once again, the GT-8 is far more adjustable and it's easier to get what you want out of it between the two amp channels at once thing and the much more parametric-like EQ. You can also do some cool stuff with the stereo two channel setup and the thing where it changes between the channels depending on how hard you pick.

It also has the sound hold feature where you can press the CTL footswitch to make it hold whatever you are playing, and then play something over it. I haven't really messed with that, but I'm sure you could do all sorts of strange and inventive things with that.

The only possible drawback to the GT-8 is that it does not have USB. Just SPDIF. Although I don't really record direct, I actually prefer that, because then I don't have to go changing drivers around with some of my programs, but I'd imagine lots of people have no SPDIF connection.

If you don't want the synth stuff, though, you might consider the Kurzweil Mangler and a MIDI controller.
i think the GT8 will be the next one i try out. it sounds like something worth trying.
I'll look up some info on the kurzweil as well, i've never heard of it.

the gt-8 is probaly the best bet. loads of cool effects dst n od. some of the amp modles are good as well.. its great amp switching and loop.. all in all very nice

Back