My 2 cents on speakers and cabs for a Herbert

• Thread starter Thread starter shadow070
  • Start date Start date
S
shadow070
Ive been busy, not playing the guitar but having fun with other things....as usual.

Having gone trough various amps lately all are gone except the Herbert:ROFLMAO:
Ive got to play Marshalls, mesa and Engl
Its a personal thing to be honest
The one amp ill buy back is a mark V or ill get the newer one

Having played the Herbert trough my trusty 1x12 loaded with a v30 these past 15 years i thought of trying a 2x12
I ended up trying a normal 2x12, a slanted 2x12, a slanted 1X12 and a 4x12
Im a home player so the 4x12 with the volume it needed was a no go, it sounded massive on volume!

I ended up getting a (newer)Diezel 2X12 loaded with pre rola greenbacks, it sounded huge, and was so different then what i was used to.
After a while I got a older Diezel cab loaded with a V30 and G12K100, the speaker combo sounded very good and the cab had a flatter sound, it wasn't as huge sounding as the newer one, but still very good. Im saying flatter sounding because im comparing it to the other one, if I didn't have both it would have been ''perfect'' :ROFLMAO:
I started to wonder how the v30 and g12k100 combo would sound in the newer cab, never having soldered I asked a shop, calculated cost and especially effort I decided to do it myself and got a €20,- soldering set.

The greenbacks were perfect for the Marshall and Mesa due to their voicing. They have a lot go high end compared to the others.

After opening both cabs I gave the wires connected to the -connector a yellow tape, if id didnt I knew I would mess it up. Both were already soldered parallel.
I was surprised at how easy it was, unsoldering and soldering, all in all the whole thing cost me €20,- and 2 hours.

Now the newer cab (black grill) has the v30 and G12K100 and it sounds perfect with the Herbert!
I couldn't be happier.

On a side note, I got a MXR EQ and have it in the loop, after owning the Mark V I knew it would solve my problems with the Herbert.
I boosted some of the mids a bit and lowered a bit of the highs and Voila, its just perfect (for me). My current pickups produce a lot of highs, so this helps.

tempImageTsx6dH.jpg

tempImageY10pLw.jpg

tempImageuXugG8.jpg

Back