My new custom guitar? not suhr..need advice or opinions..

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
Ok got my walnut guitar today. Originally wanted to order another custom guitar from suhr but suhr won't do floyds on a tele and no solid walnut bodies only walnut tops. Can you guys check out the guitar and see if there are any problems or anything seems off.
Here are a few things I noticed
1) the distance between the bridge pickup to the Floyd is a little far...is this a problem?
2) the neck is 24 fret and..take a look at the way the neck is attached the body.. It's a little high? Now is this something I can fix? To make it deeper to the body.
( I originally was going to use my Suhr gig bag to put this guitar in...but the neck sticks out. So I am forced to use a different bigger bag)
3) the volume knob isn't low enough to the body...can I fix this?
4) the body is walnut ..I expected it to be heavy. I asked the builder to use black walnut and that it would be a solid body. Now is there anyway to tell if it is a solid body not chambered?
4) when I got it.. The strings were too close to the frets.. A little truss rod action and it's ok.l still some dead spots on the upper register.. Is this normal?
5) also the control cavity? Should it be this wide?looks like too much wood was taken out

anything else..now all this is nitpicking

Here are the pics

Thanks.. Also should the control cavity be routed out like this? Looks like too much wood was taken out

What do you think? Is it a good build?
thanks

Strange that Suhr won't do Floyds on a tele cos they've done it before..

1) the distance between the bridge pickup to the Floyd is a little far...is this a problem?
No. The lack of pickup ring makes it look further away.

2) the neck is 24 fret and..take a look at the way the neck is attached the body.. It's a little high? Now is this something I can fix? To make it deeper to the body.
Do you mean the strings are high off the body, or that the the headstock is too far away? If it's the first, depending on the floyd recess it might be possible to adjust the angle (not purely the depth) of the butt of the neck to drop it down into the body. If the headstock is too far away, then that's all about intonation - if the neck intonates correctly, then it is what it is. That's a 24 neck and to accomodate the extra frets, the builder has effectively moved the headstock away from the body, rather than adding more wood to the top of the neck.

3) the volume knob isn't low enough to the body...can I fix this?
Unless you mean the position is wrong just undo the set screw it and drop the knob down the pot. If it's still too high, you can always remove the pot and put some washers between it and the body to pull the shaft downwards.

4) the body is walnut ..I expected it to be heavy. I asked the builder to use black walnut and that it would be a solid body. Now is there anyway to tell if it is a solid body not chambered?
You could get it x-rayed, if you can find someone (PRS and Gibson folks went through a phase of doing this!)

4) when I got it.. The strings were too close to the frets.. A little truss rod action and it's ok.l still some dead spots on the upper register.. Is this normal?
How is the relief on the neck?

5) also the control cavity? Should it be this wide?looks like too much wood was taken out
Looks like a Warmoth rout? It's a fairly big hole given the lack of controls, but that's probably down to it being a of the shelf part.

neilli":14iaknqm said:
Strange that Suhr won't do Floyds on a tele cos they've done it before..

Do you mean the strings are high off the body, or that the the headstock is too far away? If it's the first, depending on the floyd recess it might be possible to adjust the angle (not purely the depth) of the butt of the neck to drop it down into the body. If the headstock is too far away, then that's all about intonation - if the neck intonates correctly, then it is what it is. That's a 24 neck and to accomodate the extra frets, the builder has effectively moved the headstock away from the body, rather than adding more wood to the top of the neck.

----thanks.. also are suhr gig bags made to accomodate all guitars or only suhr guitars? because my guitar neck is too long ..i asked the builder if the neck could be made deeper into the body but he says because of the floyd and the brass block.. it can't

How is the relief on the neck?
---- its fine but still the dead spots..gonna check with a guitar tech next week

Looks like a Warmoth rout? It's a fairly big hole given the lack of controls, but that's probably down to it being a of the shelf part.

----is there anyway to fill the excess space with more wood..but having such a wide cavity..is it detrimental to the tone or sound?
anything else i should be concerned about? sorry being extremely nitpicky being my 1st non suhr non anderson custom guitar.

well, everything you do to a piece of wood will arguably have some effect on the tone, minuscule or otherwise - whether you or I could tell any difference is another question.

Something like that, it is what it is, no point gluing wood in there now IMO.

Naked dude-toes are ok, pretty much never.

Nice looking guitar though.

not chambered guarantee that its one piece of walnut
no you cant move the knob unless you add one also better off with the big control cavity when you get sick of one knob...
new guitars need a set up..
looks like a nice axe...but why arent you asking the builder these questions?

Matt's Music has a Suhr generator and you can definitely put a Floyd on the T style guitars. Is it me or do the fret tangs on the 23rd and 24th frets look angled?

I'd be more worried about the pink strap. ;)

Did you have a chance to see any of this builder's work before ordering the guitar? It just seems strange that all of these things are questions after the fact. I suspect after seeing the pictures (and even more after your response) that you just paid someone to put it together from pre-made parts.

I agree with neilli on his responses. The body looks nice. The neck does, too. Some builders like leaving the fretboard fairly high off the body, as it reduces the need to have the neck angled (possibly because they don't have the CNC capability to do the angle). I'm less used to seeing it on a Floyd guitar, since the Floyd usually sits pretty deep in the recess. Can you show a photo from the side of how the Floyd sits in relation to the top of the guitar (similar to your 3rd photo with the height of the fretboard?)

Back