NAD: 6505 1992 original

DanTravis62

Grab n' go™

Dan Travis edition

1000011879.jpg

Been curious about these, I never had a real 5150, for $1250 new or whatever they are I may just grab one to have in the collection
5150s are killer amps for the price. Sound great in a mix too. As long as the mids aren’t cranked. Usually run them at 3 at the most. Otherwise turns into honk city. Presence also doesn’t work until 8 on the OGs not sure how this one is.

Been curious about these, I never had a real 5150, for $1250 new or whatever they are I may just grab one to have in the collection
5150s are killer amps for the price. Sound great in a mix too. As long as the mids aren’t cranked. Usually run them at 3 at the most. Otherwise turns into honk city. Presence also doesn’t work until 8 on the OGs not sure how this one is.

Presence works the exact same on this. I compared one in a store to an early block letter (without the original glass, in the OG, though) and it's literally the same amp as far as my ears can tell. Like EXACTLY the same. I haven't gotten to really get down with it under a mic though, but I'll be sure to post my findings.

I don't mind the honk. I embrace the honk.

Mids off. Sd-1 and no V30's is a pretty good sound. 1960a works well

I don't need the mids off, and I absolutely hate sd1s. I'm using an EVM12L and a KSR Eros with the mids scooped on the pedal, though.

yeah, on my 6505+ it dosent start till about 9 lol, i thought it was messed up when i first got it. have you played the +?

Gonna have to give it a go. I love the block letter, but they are such unreliable amps.

Yep that's literally exactly why I grabbed one :ROFLMAO:

Brand new, if something goes wrong I can bitch and karen and get it replaced

Apparently peavey went through quite a bit of trouble to get the early block letter transformers correct, which I suspect is why it sounds so spot on to the original

@Bram576 and @DanTravis62 about the 5150 / 6505 reliability issues...

Just so you guys know, the major reason these amps are known to have questionable reliability is because they send a lot of juice through a shitty ribbon cable that could barely handle it. Most of the old amps that broke down did so because of a few key burnout spots on that ribbon cable.

The new 6505 has supposedly routed those specific problem connections away from the ribbon cable and put them on their own dedicated beefed up line. Not sure if there were a lot of other reliability problems with the 5150 / 6505 but this major one seems to have been addressed with the 1992 Original.

My own 5150 had the same problem. Ribbon cable burned out. Took it to my local tech who did the same thing Peavey is doing with the new ones and it's been running fine cranked up loud ever since.

@Bram576 and @DanTravis62 about the 5150 / 6505 reliability issues...

Just so you guys know, the major reason these amps are known to have questionable reliability is because they send a lot of juice through a shitty ribbon cable that could barely handle it. Most of the old amps that broke down did so because of a few key burnout spots on that ribbon cable.

The new 6505 has supposedly routed those specific problem connections away from the ribbon cable and put them on their own dedicated beefed up line. Not sure if there were a lot of other reliability problems with the 5150 / 6505 but this major one seems to have been addressed with the 1992 Original.

My own 5150 had the same problem. Ribbon cable burned out. Took it to my local tech who did the same thing Peavey is doing with the new ones and it's been running fine cranked up loud ever since.

That's excellent news - its one of those things where you feel like you need to have this tone in the arsenal, but I always felt like I was buying a potential boat anchor used. Especially with how prices on the originals went up so far.

Either way, I was really pleasantly surprised with how exact the 1992 was compared to an OG - enough to give it a shot

Rare win for Peavey TBH, so far. We'll see how it does miced up

Gonna have to give it a go. I love the block letter, but they are such unreliable amps.
Wow, I gigged two of them for almost 10 years straight. Untold number of live shows, rehearsals and recordings.

My main was the Block, backup was the Sig and never had one issue. Sig was used for rehearsals. I even had the Block go from a dead stop to a missile when it came out of it's hardshell case (forgot to lock it...duh) and flew across the gear trailer. Wasn't even a crack on the headshell. I pulled the tubes to make sure no glass was busted, wasn't and it fired right up. The back up Sig I had Paul Cochrane who makes the Timmy pedals add the bias adjustment in the amp. Never an issue.

I would have already bought the 1992 if they had fixed the Master Volume. You have to get it moving or it's just fizz. I used to run a volume pedal in the loop for low level playing, just don't want to deal with all that now. And why I'm leaning getting the Synergy 50Watt Head with the 6505 module.

I can never say enough good things about my OG 5150's.

I see them go for like $600 to $750 used
Wow, I gigged two of them for almost 10 years straight. Untold number of live shows, rehearsals and recordings.

My main was the Block, backup was the Sig and never had one issue. Sig was used for rehearsals. I even had the Block go from a dead stop to a missile when it came out of it's hardshell case (forgot to lock it...duh) and flew across the gear trailer. Wasn't even a crack on the headshell. I pulled the tubes to make sure no glass was busted, wasn't and it fired right up. The back up Sig I had Paul Cochrane who makes the Timmy pedals add the bias adjustment in the amp. Never an issue.

I would have already bought the 1992 if they had fixed the Master Volume. You have to get it moving or it's just fizz. I used to run a volume pedal in the loop for low level playing, just don't want to deal with all that now. And why I'm leaning getting the Synergy 50Watt Head with the 6505 module.

I can never say enough good things about my OG 5150's.
I did lik 8 years of 5150 on the road and I never even had to change a tube . It still sounded great

Back