NAD: Bogner Uberschall Rev Green (rev2)

MrWoodchuck

Just picked up an old school Bogner Uberschall Rev Green (rev2). Wow is it killer, much more open sounding than the Uber Ultra I had. Uber Ultra had a post filtered EQ modern sound to it. This is almost like a metal version of my Ecstasy 101b, exactly what I was hoping an Uberschall would be like.

My overall review of the Uber Ultra versus Rev Green:
Uber Ultra: can get super tight and with the 7 gain stages has an insane amount of gain. Uber Ultra never needs a boost and can do 7/8 strings super well. I am more of a Drop D, C#, C 6 string player and found myself gravitating towards the uber mode versus ultra mode. The uber ultra also had this post filtered EQ quality that was a lot more modern sounding. You could dial back the density knob to open it up a bit, but it's still not as open as this rev green. It also had a lot more switches and knobs so a lot of variety of tones.

Uber rev green: More raw/open sounding, less filtered, and what I am used to when playing my XTC 101b and Helios Eclipse. I can kind of describe it as the more metal version of my XTC 101b. I prefer this more open sounding to the modern sounding uber ultra.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 2.38.37 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 8.13.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 8.13.55 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Congrats!! I haven’t spent as much time playing a Rev 2, but would agree in my Rev 1 comparing the same way to the Ultra I had. It was like all that chewiness, warmth, richness and other good stuff of the early Uber was taken out/filtered out. Like a “from contentrate” vs fresh squeezed version of the OG. I also found even though the ultra sounded much tighter it didn’t actually track as well/clearly somehow for the faster riffs I play sorta like what I was getting when comparing a mark 7 vs a real iic+

Can we talk about how sharp the metal grill is on the old grills versus new. Already cut my finger taking out the amp from the chassis lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20240618_202852.jpg
    IMG_20240618_202852.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240618_202910.jpg
    IMG_20240618_202910.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
Congrats!! I haven’t spent as much time playing a Rev 2, but would agree in my Rev 1 comparing the same way to the Ultra I had. It was like all that chewiness, warmth, richness and other good stuff of the early Uber was taken out/filtered out. Like a “from contentrate” vs fresh squeezed version of the OG. I also found even though the ultra sounded much tighter it didn’t actually track as well/clearly somehow for the faster riffs I play sorta like what I was getting when comparing a mark 7 vs a real iic+
Yeah agreed on the from concentrate of the originals. Even with the density all the way to 0 I couldn't get it to open up like this amp.

1 day in and I am calling it, it's my new number 1 amp right now out of my 9. The last 3 years I have played around 100 tube amps and this just does the tone that I have always wanted. Huge, tight, and raw.
Nice, what are the other amps out of curiosity? I came to a similar conclusion about my Rev 1 having been through almost 150 amps and have tried more than 150 others (not owned), but for me this was over the course of about 16 years. The only thing I'd say is I don't find it to be that raw vs my vintage amps, but I guess raw compared to most modern amps and certainly vs something like the Ultra version lol

Nice, what are the other amps out of curiosity? I came to a similar conclusion about my Rev 1 having been through almost 150 amps and have tried more than 150 others (not owned), but for me this was over the course of about 16 years. The only thing I'd say is I don't find it to be that raw vs my vintage amps, but I guess raw compared to most modern amps and certainly vs something like the Ultra version lol
Yeah my ecstasy and Helios certainly is more raw. I just meant the combination of raw, mean, big, and tight sounding. The best way I could describe the rev green is if you took my Ecstasy 101b and made a more metal refined version of it.

My current other amps:
Mesa boogie dual rec 2 channel revg
Club Secret
Soldano slo100
Diezel Herbert MK3
Diezel VH4
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Bogner Helios Eclipse
Mesa JP2C

Otherwise I have tried mostly everything over a span of 25 years. Picked up my first Mesa Rectifier in 2000.

I got heavily back into tube amps the last 3 years. More recent notable amps played at a friends place or owned the last couple years:
Wizard Hellrazor
Mesa Hermannson rectifier
Bogner Uber ultra
Bogner 20th 616 Ecstasy
Bogner Ecstasy 3534
Friedman JJ100
Omega Obsidian
Peavy 5150 block letter
EVH 5153
EVH 5153 Stealth
Rivera Seven
Orange Dual Dark
PRS MT15

Last edited:
Yeah my ecstasy and Helios certainly is more raw. I just meant the combination of raw, mean, big, and tight sounding. The best way I could describe the rev green is if you took my Ecstasy 101b and made a more metal refined version of it.

My current other amps:
Mesa boogie dual rec 2 channel revg
Club Secret
Soldano slo100
Diezel Herbert MK3
Diezel VH4
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Bogner Helios Eclipse
Mesa JP2C

Otherwise I have tried mostly everything over a span of 25 years. Picked up my first Mesa Rectifier in 2000.

I got heavily back into tube amps the last 3 years. More recent notable amps played at a friends place or owned the last couple years:
Wizard Hellrazor
Mesa Hermannson rectifier
Bogner Uber ultra
Bogner 20th 616 Ecstasy
Bogner Ecstasy 3534
Friedman JJ100
Omega Obsidian
Peavy 5150 block letter
EVH 5153
EVH 5153 Stealth
Rivera Seven
Orange Dual Dark
PRS MT15
Yeah the Helios is surprisingly raw. Some of my favorites for high gain (not exactly in order) have been:
Bogner Uberschall Revision 1
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Revision C
Wizard Hell Razor KT150
Hermansson Triple Rectifier Rev F
Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ HRG
1997 Diezel Blueface VH4
Friedman Marsha
Bogner Snorkler modded JCM800
1989 Soldano SLO
‘90’s Diezel VH4 Purpleface Protoype
MI Audio Megaltih Beta

Too long to list all model names lol, but I’ve had: Baron DHG, 3 other Bogner’s, 6 Cameron’s, 2 DAR’s, 2 Demeter’s, Driftwood, 4 Engl’s (tried all their models), lots of Friedman’s, Fryette Pittbull UL, 2 Gower’s, Ground Zero, Henning, 3 other Hermansson’s, Hopkins mod, ISP Theta, Kruse, KSR, Laney’s, Langner’s, 2 Mako’s, 16 other Mesa/Boogie’s, Metroplex, Mezzabarba, 2 Monomyth’s, 2 Naylor’s, Orange, 3 Peters, Randall’s, Reason, Verellen, 2 other Wizard’s and many more amps that I tried, but haven’t owned

Yeah the Helios is surprisingly raw. Some of my favorites for high gain (not exactly in order) have been:
Bogner Uberschall Revision 1
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Revision C
Wizard Hell Razor KT150
Hermansson Triple Rectifier Rev F
Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ HRG
1997 Diezel Blueface VH4
Friedman Marsha
Bogner Snorkler modded JCM800
1989 Soldano SLO
‘90’s Diezel VH4 Purpleface Protoype
MI Audio Megaltih Beta

Too long to list all model names lol, but I’ve had: Baron DHG, 3 other Bogner’s, 6 Cameron’s, 2 DAR’s, 2 Demeter’s, Driftwood, 4 Engl’s (tried all their models), lots of Friedman’s, Fryette Pittbull UL, 2 Gower’s, Ground Zero, Henning, 3 other Hermansson’s, Hopkins mod, ISP Theta, Kruse, KSR, Laney’s, Langner’s, 2 Mako’s, 16 other Mesa/Boogie’s, Metroplex, Mezzabarba, 2 Monomyth’s, 2 Naylor’s, Orange, 3 Peters, Randall’s, Reason, Verellen, 2 other Wizard’s and many more amps that I tried, but haven’t owned
Nice, some heavy hitters.

Back