NAD - Friedman Smallbox 50

BlueParfait

Last month I was on a GAS spree where I felt like having a modded Plexi or JCM type amp. I did my research... And then realized what I actually really wanted was just a plain old Plexi.

However, when I saw that a pre-owned Friedman SB50 was available for around half of retail, I had to pull the trigger.

I say "pre-owned" because "used" implied usage.

This thing does not seem to have even be used. The stock JJ tubes still smelled when I turned the amp on.

So far I'm liking it a lot. It could be more aggressive and brighter for sure, but that's nothing a good OD can't fix.

Or a soldering iron haha.

Recommend me a good OD to brighten up amps please ☺

20240701_235603.jpg

Presence and treble on 10 and still not enough bright ? Unfortunately there is no EQ which can fix that and it is probably wrong amp for You. I had SB and it was rather darker amp but I cant imagine these settings. I used Friedman Boxom boost to tighten up. Something like Fortin Hex shoul add the agression.

Presence and treble on 10 and still not enough bright ? Unfortunately there is no EQ which can fix that and it is probably wrong amp for You. I had SB and it was rather darker amp but I cant imagine these settings. I used Friedman Boxom boost to tighten up. Something like Fortin Hex shoul add the agression.

Oh those settings are bright enough for recording. I just wish it had a bit more high mid and treble bite on tap

Not a dealbreaker since the amp sounds great regardless and feels fantastic.

I'll look into those recs, thanks!

I had the same issue with an amp and the bogner red pedal worked well to boost the high mids and add crunch while retaining the low end. Another option is a vintage mxr 10 band eq (still affordable but use an ac plug with no battery option).

SD-1, or GE-7 in front. MXR 10-Band in the loop.

If it has JJ's in the preamp, (likely in V1), yank it and put a Tungsol in there. That'll bring the sizzle. If V2 is the dirt channel, throw a Tungsol in that spot. It likely has JJ's in V1 & V2, and 2 Chinese in V3 & V4.

Last edited:
Yeah the bass on my SB never gets up higher than 10:00. Right now I’m using the KoC and Team Medic but all these work well:

IMG_7511.jpeg
IMG_7510.jpeg
IMG_7508.jpeg
IMG_7509.jpeg

SD-1, or GE-7 in front. MXR 10-Band in the loop.

If it has JJ's in the preamp, (likely in V1), yank it and put a Tungsol in there. That'll bring the sizzle. If V2 is the dirt channel, throw a Tungsol in that spot. It likely has JJ's in V1 & V2, and 2 Chinese in V3 & V4.
Can't find Tung Sol around these parts, sadly.

How do the TAD Redbase stuff do? And Mullard?

Also I've checked. 3 JJ 12AX&s, 2 JJ EL34s

Last edited:
Last month I was on a GAS spree where I felt like having a modded Plexi or JCM type amp. I did my research... And then realized what I actually really wanted was just a plain old Plexi.

However, when I saw that a pre-owned Friedman SB50 was available for around half of retail, I had to pull the trigger.

I say "pre-owned" because "used" implied usage.

This thing does not seem to have even be used. The stock JJ tubes still smelled when I turned the amp on.

So far I'm liking it a lot. It could be more aggressive and brighter for sure, but that's nothing a good OD can't fix.

Or a soldering iron haha.

Recommend me a good OD to brighten up amps please ☺

View attachment 321966
The problem is the low mid voicing for me. thats why I had my BE dlx modded by Dave. He truly does not know 90% of people who have sold their Friedman amps did because there are no mid mids. turn up your presence and treble all you want and it's still not mids, just spikey top end

The problem is the low mid voicing for me. thats why I had my BE dlx modded by Dave. He truly does not know 90% of people who have sold their Friedman amps did because there are no mid mids. turn up your presence and treble all you want and it's still not mids, just spikey top end
It's funny because the JEL and the Plex don't have this voicing.

But the BE family definitely does.

There's your stuffy tone problem. Put a Tungsol 12AX7 in V1 and V2. Or an EH 12AX7, (not the newer 7025).
Why not the 7025? That’s what Dave ships with. I find it a much better sounding tube than the regular EH. But yeah, you’re right about all JJ’s being most of his problem.

It's funny because the JEL and the Plex don't have this voicing.

But the BE family definitely does.
The PT v2 is even closest to the Marshall voicing of all his amps. I sold mine because I really need 2 channels. He e-mailed me back saying he could create a vol/gain boost for it but was busy now.

The PT v2 is even closest to the Marshall voicing of all his amps. I sold mine because I really need 2 channels. He e-mailed me back saying he could create a vol/gain boost for it but was busy now.
For sure. The PT-20 V2 is the most aggressive, and most "Marshall" in his line. Though a bit more polished, the Runt 50 is right up there too.

Originally in the 60's & 70's the [7025] designation were hand picked 12AX7 / ECC-83's [same tube] for their low noise properties.
Nowdays its more of a marketing schtick. Kinda like {epi custom shop] LOL.
The EH 7025's are noticeably fatter in size, and tone. Closer to the Mullard CV4004. They're certainly not as bright as the EH 12AX7 - those are probably the brightest current production preamp tube, and work very well in a warm, dark stuffy amp. The Tungsols aren't quite as bright, but they too open up stuffy amps with one in V1. Especially in place of a JJ. I find JJ's wooly and sterile in a first gain stage. I yanked one out of my Engl and put a Tungsol in V1, and it was night and day. Tightened it up more and added some character/sizzle.

Back