NAD! Mesa Boogie Mark III HRG

Emg77

I had this combo pop up on the local CL. It's not like I needed another amp but I've come full circle back to Mesa Boogie. To my surprise it is a no stripe / black dot with the 105 transformer. I'm really digging it! Maybe even more so than my Mark IV. It's got more bite and feels really good to play!

It came loaded with JJ'S. I'm going to do some tube swapping. Any suggestions on preamps? He also sent along a qaud of Jan Phillips 6l6's.
2B0D271D-DAFC-42E3-ABD9-40DDC84B0CA0.jpeg

Ha - that's pretty sweet. Can we assume you didn't have to pay 'pre-Gibson' prices :LOL:

I have no experience with this amp but as soon as you said 'any suggestions....' I was thinking JAN Phillips 5751 to rotate around would be cool. Didn't even realize Phillips made a 6L6. Anyway - have fun :cheers:

Sent that to Mike B for a ++ mod. It will be so close to a 2C++.
He’s right. I’ve got a Red Stripe ++ and a IIC++, and they’re pretty damn close. The III is a bit more compressed, and actually a little more aggressive, and the feel is very similar. You’ve got the 105, so it’d be even closer yet. Unless of course you dig it stock, and that’s cool too. Either way, congrats, great score.

What exactly does the ++ mod accomplish?
It gives it a little more grease, and a little boost. Fattens it up a little. It’s subtle, yet awesome. I usually back the gain off “1” when I go ++. Mike can put it on the middle knob as a push/pull to switch it on and off. I love it, it kills.

MK3 >>>> MK4
This x1000
Mark III's are imo by far the best amps you can get for the price or at least they were (not sure what their current going rate is)
Also just great amps regardless of price

The 50 Calibers are also an amazing value (I've had 2 in the past that I paid $400 each for). Not as good as the III's overall, but warmer, prettier cleans imo and maybe the best reverb I've heard in any Boogie. The Reverb on the Mark II's and III's are terrible

Last edited:
This x1000
Mark III's are imo by far the best amps you can get for the price or at least they were (not sure what their current going rate is)
Also just great amps regardless of price

Agree X 1000000

All the MK3s (and JCM800 2203s/4s too) are going for $2k and up now. Soooooo glad I stocked up years ago. For the price and tones you get, the MK3s are hard to beat.

Agree X 1000000

All the MK3s (and JCM800 2203s/4s too) are going for $2k and up now. Soooooo glad I stocked up years ago. For the price and tones you get, the MK3s are hard to beat.
Damn I paid $800 for the mk3 combo I had, but that was in 2011, but even for a few years after that I was looking and they could be had between $700-900 regularly. Stopped looking after I got a mark iii coliseum and a c+, but not surprised they went up so much. They sound too good to have stayed at that price range. At the time I tried selling mine I couldn’t even get $700 for it, but worked out a trade eventually. They used to be ridiculously underrated

I had this combo pop up on the local CL. It's not like I needed another amp but I've come full circle back to Mesa Boogie. To my surprise it is a no stripe / black dot with the 105 transformer. I'm really digging it! Maybe even more so than my Mark IV. It's got more bite and feels really good to play!

It came loaded with JJ'S. I'm going to do some tube swapping. Any suggestions on preamps? He also sent along a qaud of Jan Phillips 6l6's. View attachment 66580
Oh man, I saw it on CL and had to stop myself from buying it, especially since it had the EVM! I just got a Mark IV, so didn't really need another Mark, but always wanted to try a black dot. The IIIs are awesome but the shared EQ is rough if you need versatility live.

Oh man, I saw it on CL and had to stop myself from buying it, especially since it had the EVM! I just got a Mark IV, so didn't really need another Mark, but always wanted to try a black dot. The IIIs are awesome but the shared EQ is rough if you need versatility live.

Yeah, I'm looking to get it into a head shell. Selling the EV will help that happen. I use an Axe in 4 cable method so eq'ing as needed isn't a problem.

Yeah, I'm looking to get it into a head shell. Selling the EV will help that happen. I use an Axe in 4 cable method so eq'ing as needed isn't a problem.
Nice! Yeah, it was a killer deal, he wasn't far from me either. I could just imagine my wife's face if I bought another piece of gear without selling something first LOL :LOL:

Back