NAD

• Thread starter Thread starter homespun
  • Start date Start date
homespun
homespun
Holy friggen moly! Why did I wait so long to get one? I think this is THE amp for me.
IMG_0127.jpeg

OG block letter! Totally rocks! Awesome clean channel and the leads channel with the gain on 2 is perfect!!

I’m stoked, my dudes!

Last edited:
dude they're a classic for a reason and can be just brutal as all hell. i use a 6505+ now, but very similar territory. great amps!

I was tempted to grab the FJA modded one that was in the classifieds ..... I had a RockMaster modded by him way back ...... Jerry knows his way around inside some Peavey's

Congrats !!!

Holy friggen moly! Why did I wait so long to get one? I think this is THE amp for me.
View attachment 263658

OG block letter! Totally rocks! Awesome clean channel and the leads channel with the gain on 2 is perfect!!

I’m stoked, my dudes!
In all seriousness, they are great amps. Was my main amp from the time they were released for about 10 years back in the day.

Now I wasn't a fan of the clean but here's a couple tricks I did to make it usable for me. One was those little BBE Sonic Maximizer pedals and a Boss Dimension C. The BBE is pretty much useless (for me) for anything else but it really helped open up and brighten the clean channel on that amp. And the Dimension C on it's lowest setting added some space, created depth without sounding to chorusy.

Also for low volume practice, since you have to crank the volume to get the goods, stick a volume pedal in the loop, crank it up and drop the volume with the pedal. I actually used the output on my racked effects processor at the time but same thing. In fact some companies like JHS make a little volume control pedal just for this.

Since you have it, hang onto it even if your ears change in the future as the OG 5150 is an iconic amp and in many ways set the standard for high gain. Btw/ I wasn't much of a fan the II, I always loved the thickness of the OG. And I still think it's one of the best looking modern amps ever made and without a doubt the best looking amp Peavey ever made. Crazy to think that Hartley hated the chrome panel.

Last edited:
Yep they’re workhorses for a reason.

Congrats!!!!!!!! I highly recommend sending it to a tech if you haven’t. Those are due for a full recap on the main preamp board and also the tube board. They’re also biased really cold stock so if it isn’t bias modded it’s recommended to bias mod them too especially with the costs and variance of tubes these days so they can be biased correctly.

Yep they’re workhorses for a reason.

Congrats!!!!!!!! I highly recommend sending it to a tech if you haven’t. Those are due for a full recap on the main preamp board and also the tube board. They’re also biased really cold stock so if it isn’t bias modded it’s recommended to bias mod them too especially with the costs and variance of tubes these days so they can be biased correctly.
Yeah. It has the original crappy IC capacitors. I’m gonna change them. I’ll google the bias mod.

I think the channel button is toast. It crackles i touch it.

Crap. It’s cutting out. I still think it’s the channel switch. The speaker jacks are also badly worn. Barely holds the plug in.

It’s in the preamp. I took out the power tubes and ran the preamp out too my Marshall effects loop return. I changed the tubes, too. Still cuts out.

I’ve got some work to do.

A total recap is the first order of business.

Crap. It’s cutting out. I still think it’s the channel switch. The speaker jacks are also badly worn. Barely holds the plug in.

It’s in the preamp. I took out the power tubes and ran the preamp out too my Marshall effects loop return. I changed the tubes, too. Still cuts out.

If it’s cutting out it might actually be a bad pot that needs cleaner. Also clean and retention the speaker jacks and the effects loop jacks.

aren't the jacks notorious for being on the " cheap " side ? ? For the few bucks they are a piece .... if you're already going to re cap ... I would replace all the jacks too

Congrats!!!

My only experience with them was a backline amp, 25 yrs ago and that thing sucked. But, in my defense I didn't know shit about tubes, it wasn't my amp and that bar probably NEVER had it serviced.

Yep bias mod is cool, I actually had Paul Cochrane who designed and makes all the Timmy pedals add the bias mod to mine back in the day. Although I still ran mine a bit cold. That's what I liked.

Sounds like the amp just needs some TLC. Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok. Good news. Plugging a patch cable between the effects send and return takes away the issue. Probably just dirty jacks.

I should still recap. I think this thing is 31 years old. 👴🏻

Back