Neal schon owning the stage

• Thread starter Thread starter Digital Jams
  • Start date Start date
I wish Schon was doing this G3 tour. Hell, I'd sacrifice Petrucci to hear Schon!

neal is sweet but OOOF there goes vai again with the scrawny wah and the hocus pocus....i honestly think he would be happier as a magician, or joining sigfried and roy.

Damn it Neal is fuckin awesome!!!!

KWS did nothing for me on that one, whenever i listen to him its like listening to a rip off of SRV! just IMO..

:|::QBB:
mentoneman":cc34f said:
neal is sweet but OOOF there goes vai again with the scrawny wah and the hocus pocus....i honestly think he would be happier as a magician, or joining sigfried and roy.

YOU LOVE VAI AND DONT WANT TO ADMIT IT!!!!!!!!!!

mentoneman":852dd said:
Yea I think Vai has lost it a long time ago. I don't even consider him a guitarist anymore with all those strange noises coming out of his guitar. They should get someone elses in his place. I liked Kenny's tone and playing here the most- he is after all a blues player first and foremost.

carlygtr56":5667f said:
What I don't get is Vai can play the SICKEST scales from other countries, adapt them into songs, etc

yet, a simple blues he looks lame

he should perform street magic in calcutta

Ph_home.jpg

one day he will hear my cry to drop the monkey grip/wah garbage and just plug an old strat into a cranked bassman, hire roscoe beck on bass and stewart copeland on drums, sit his butt in a chair, and hit record.

he needs to reprogram his brain because the cartoon sound effects and slovakian wedding march mumbo jumbo pander to a dying breed of fan.

56.jpg

mentoneman":ea883 said:

one day he will hear my cry to drop the monkey grip/wah garbage and just plug an old strat into a cranked bassman, hire roscoe beck on bass and stewart copeland on drums, sit his butt in a chair, and hit record.
Stewart Copeland?
That guy plays so on top of the beat, he pushes you out of a room!

Man speaking about Stewart.....I hope Sting does not make the band redo the Police catalog and they stick to the songs as they were done years ago.

I see Fender is cashing in on the tour with the Andy Summers Relic tele :aww: :doh:

Well......he was a more solid bet then EVH going on tour with the 5150III :lol:

carlygtr56":1dace said:
What I don't get is Vai can play the SICKEST scales from other countries, adapt them into songs, etc

yet, a simple blues he looks lame

Yeah, Vai playing and tone is just plain bad on these jams, but Eric Johnson owns them all IMHO. I actually like KWS's tone but his playing is just sooo, well, haven't we heard it all before. It seemed the big deal about KWS was that he was 16 or 17 but now that's he older has he lost his biggest marketing edge?

danyeo":ea03d said:

Yeah, Vai playing and tone is just plain bad on these jams, but Eric Johnson owns them all IMHO. I actually like KWS's tone but his playing is just sooo, well, haven't we heard it all before. It seemed the big deal about KWS was that he was 16 or 17 but now that's he older has he lost his biggest marketing edge?

Agreed 100% on all points.

danyeo":8a31b said:

I actually like KWS's tone but his playing is just sooo, well, haven't we heard it all before. It seemed the big deal about KWS was that he was 16 or 17 but now that's he older has he lost his biggest marketing edge?

My thoughts exactly..

Oh, this was at Concorde Pavillion in Bay Area. I saw the G3 show there back in '96 and Schon came out and played a tune then as well. It was Johnson, Vai and Joe on that lineup. I think Johnson backed out halfway into that tour. He did not seem too eager to play in front of people that night. Played like he had a bad case of stage fright. I think Joe said later that he was not confident in his playing ability.

simbasa":b7632 said:
Oh, this was at Concorde Pavillion in Bay Area. I saw the G3 show there back in '96 and Schon came out and played a tune then as well. It was Johnson, Vai and Joe on that lineup. I think Johnson backed out halfway into that tour. He did not seem too eager to play in front of people that night. Played like he had a bad case of stage fright. I think Joe said later that he was not confident in his playing ability.

I read his tinnitus was giving him hell all through that tour.

Randy Van Sykes":81d4b said:
:|::QBB:Stewart Copeland?
That guy plays so on top of the beat, he pushes you out of a room!

i think a trio with more straight ahead pop/blues sensibility would be good for him, to become more accessible.

being weird worked for guys like holdsworth and lane because they are so technically/harmonically gifted and endlessly unlimited at improvisation at the highest level, with fat warm tones. and so unique that it's hard to even pick out small sections of their solos to learn because it's so much *their* evolved touch and how their hands approach the instrument. they almost create a new catagory of music.

and hendrix got away with the flamboyant thing because he was redefining what was cool in an age where elvis and buddy holly were rebels. eddie too because he looked like he was having so much fun while setting the bar higher.

i can't help but feel vai is copping what other individuals have made cool and not doing such a great job of hiding it or being original,
and the things that sorta define him,

wah, wacky eventide effects, sorta repetitive vamps for his favorite solo modes, borrowing exotic scales and meter changes, very odd stage gesturing...just seem a bit too superficial for me to really enjoy his music.

and the only thing i can really pinpoint in his style which seems fairly unique to him...the big slides and vibrato bar note redirections, can only be tolerated in small doses without being eccentric.

i'd love for simon cowell to assess a vai performance.

Digital Jams":a03f6 said:
Man speaking about Stewart.....I hope Sting does not make the band redo the Police catalog and they stick to the songs as they were done years ago.

I see Fender is cashing in on the tour with the Andy Summers Relic tele :aww: :doh:

Well......he was a more solid bet then EVH going on tour with the 5150III :lol:
A problem is that for the first few Police albums, Sting wasn't thinking 'how am I going to sing this night after night' he's hitting chimpanzee notes....they'll have to do something different for him to sing some of the old hits....they'll just call it a new version. :D

'63-Strat":8cf74 said:

I read his tinnitus was giving him hell all through that tour.
Oh, well something was not right that night for sure. He was backed up to the amps and looked like he wanted to go hide behind them. :lol:

mentoneman":72b1c said:

i think a trio with more straight ahead pop/blues sensibility would be good for him, to become more accessible.

being weird worked for guys like holdsworth and lane because they are so technically/harmonically gifted and endlessly unlimited at improvisation at the highest level, with fat warm tones. and so unique that it's hard to even pick out small sections of their solos to learn because it's so much *their* evolved touch and how their hands approach the instrument. they almost create a new catagory of music.

and hendrix got away with the flamboyant thing because he was redefining what was cool in an age where elvis and buddy holly were rebels. eddie too because he looked like he was having so much fun while setting the bar higher.

i can't help but feel vai is copping what other individuals have made cool and not doing such a great job of hiding it or being original,
and the things that sorta define him,

wah, wacky eventide effects, sorta repetitive vamps for his favorite solo modes, borrowing exotic scales and meter changes, very odd stage gesturing...just seem a bit too superficial for me to really enjoy his music.

and the only thing i can really pinpoint in his style which seems fairly unique to him...the big slides and vibrato bar note redirections, can only be tolerated in small doses without being eccentric.

i'd love for simon cowell to assess a vai performance.
Seems Vai is up to something different lately...he sold his big LA house with his recording studio, sold his record company, isn't on the next G3 tour...:confused:

I agree with alot of that...my favorite thing Vai has done was 'Eat 'em and Smile', I guess I like him more in a band situation, with Roth and even Zappa, than as a solo artist.

Back