Need advice on Musikraft neck profile for Charvel build

• Thread starter Thread starter scottosan
  • Start date Start date
scottosan
scottosan
I’m about to order a neck for my next crazy build. KnE body is almost done, then it will either go to:

A: MJT for a graffiti yellow relic job like below

Or

B: Sims Custom Shop to recreate my old zebra, but with a neck humbucker

So, my neck question is 2 fold because I ether get a basic quartersawn if I go the Sims route or go all out for the roasted Birdseye with aged oil for the nitro aged look. 1 option is cheaper neck but more expensive paint. The other is more expensive neck but cheaper paint, so cost is nearly a wash.

1. Are their necksconsistent enough and/have enough potential to warrant the larger investment?
2. Am exhausted trying to figure out the profiles. Everything I read has the specs all over the place. I have 2 Chubtone’s. The first, I’m not sure of the profile, but of feels more C. The other is their #2 profile and that feels more D than the first. I prefer the slightly more shouldered D. Any advice on a profile would be appreciated.

I struggled with the same thing but I ended up ordering Pro Mod C 79 85 shape. I like Luxxtone guitars and have 3 of them. I thought this neck matched up to theirs which to me is a lot like old Charvel necks). I do not have it yet so I am waiting. I guess I will find out. This probably did not help you though - sorry.

yikes...that's a lot of options....

My .02...go to harbor freight, buy a digital caliper for $20, take the measurements of your favorite neck and use that as the template for what build to go with.

ewill52":32xhbbfv said:
yikes...that's a lot of options....

My .02...go to harbor freight, buy a digital caliper for $20, take the measurements of your favorite neck and use that as the template for what build to go with.
It’s less about the thickness and more about shape. My 2 Chubtone’s are very similar in thickness but one has more shoulders. I am preferring either the second pro mode shape, the Franky, or the CS#2 as they appear to me more D than C

I've had both a Musikraft C & D profile neck. Necks are consistent. The D profile is very similar to the USA Charvel pointies. It's thin and fast.

If you live in a humid environment, oiled birds-eye is tough to maintain. Quartersawn will be much more stable. If not, doesn't matter.

Last time I had a body painted was about 7 years ago. Considered Sims for an old-school Charvel graphic, but at the time I had read bad reviews including here:

viewtopic.php?t=91406

Went with Lee Garver at GMW instead and couldn't have been happier.

JackTripper":2bx24yjy said:
I've had both a Musikraft C & D profile neck. Necks are consistent. The D profile is very similar to the USA Charvel pointies. It's thin and fast.

If you live in a humid environment, oiled birds-eye is tough to maintain. Quartersawn will be much more stable. If not, doesn't matter.

Last time I had a body painted was about 7 years ago. Considered Sims for an old-school Charvel graphic, but at the time I had read bad reviews including here:

viewtopic.php?t=91406

Went with Lee Garver at GMW instead and couldn't have been happier.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. None of that shows up in google reviews or anything in my initial searches.

Lee can supply the body itself, made from whatever wood you want, painted with whatever color/graphic you want, and give you any other options you want/need (Floyd top mount or recessed, neck pocket size, pickup routes, etc...) He'll also supply anodized aluminum cavity cover plates as an extra cost item, but they are recessed and fit flush unlike a lot of other suppliers. He does awesome work. He'll also reshape a third party neck to San Dimas Charvel spec (I believe he has templates for this operation). Good luck OP.

IMO Musikraft makes the best aftermarket necks. I have a handful and they're great. I always order the AYS 81 91.

Those pics don't seem to match the numbers, how is a Promod 79/85 bigger than a 81/91 when the pics are right next to each other?

I have a Chubtone #2 profile and a Musikraft but I can't remember the profile I got. It was probably in the 82/92 range (non-asymetrical version of Warmoth's Wolfgang is what I remember seeking) and I def did not get a V or a D. And it is indeed more C shaped than the Chubtone. The Chubtone #2 is pretty much perfection for me. The Pro Mod 81/91 and the CS 83/92 look in that range.

legend71":16c5pjwj said:
I struggled with the same thing but I ended up ordering Pro Mod C 79 85 shape. I like Luxxtone guitars and have 3 of them. I thought this neck matched up to theirs which to me is a lot like old Charvel necks). I do not have it yet so I am waiting. I guess I will find out. This probably did not help you though - sorry.

Which Luxxtones do you have?

Back