NGD 2016 RG655M Prestige

• Thread starter Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date Start date
kmanick
kmanick
Got this 2016 RG655M in the other day, dropped in a Majic arm trem arm assembly and got her all set up.
I've been curious about these for a while and scored it for a very good price so I figured I'd roll the dice.
in almost un-played condition, should be easy to flip if I don't gel with it.
I'm surprised the neck profile is s a bit different from the 550 Genesis I recently owned.
It also feels a bit different from the Rg657-MSK I owned even though they both have the supposedly same necks on them.
so far I am really liking it, except for the True velvet, it's all treble I may drop in a Duncan classic stack + in the middle as that always seems to work great for me.
IMG_4872.jpg
IMG_4873.jpg
s-l1600.png

Was wondering what exactly is the difference with the 655 neck and the genesis? I was considering getting a genesis but the 655 I had was too thin. I didn't like it at all as it was even more thin than the original wizard. Thanks in advance.

Killer guitar. I have a Genesis RG550 with the maple fretboard and a Laser Blue RG550DX, if I swapped the necks around it'd nearly be a 655 (except not AANJ). I'm really fond of the blue/maple look.

Was wondering what exactly is the difference with the 655 neck and the genesis? I was considering getting a genesis but the 655 I had was too thin. I didn't like it at all as it was even more thin than the original wizard. Thanks in advance.
The only difference is that the 655 neck has the AANJ mount (smooth heel) instead of the more traditional 4-bolt and neckplate of the Genesis models.

Any perceived differences are either from how worn in the finish is (or if it was sanded/oiled/etc). They have the same depth, width, radius etc.
From the Ibanez wiki:
Super Wizard (Genesis models)2017-2021
648mm/ 25½"
43mm58mm17mm19mm
430mmR/ 17"
Super Wizard HP Prestige (655M)2010–2021648mm/ 25½"43mm58mm17mm19mm430mmR/ 17"

Killer guitar. I have a Genesis RG550 with the maple fretboard and a Laser Blue RG550DX, if I swapped the necks around it'd nearly be a 655 (except not AANJ). I'm really fond of the blue/maple look.

The only difference is that the 655 neck has the AANJ mount (smooth heel) instead of the more traditional 4-bolt and neckplate of the Genesis models.

Any perceived differences are either from how worn in the finish is (or if it was sanded/oiled/etc). They have the same depth, width, radius etc.
From the Ibanez wiki:
Super Wizard (Genesis models)2017-2021
648mm/ 25½"
43mm58mm17mm19mm
430mmR/ 17"
Super Wizard HP Prestige (655M)2010–2021648mm/ 25½"43mm58mm17mm19mm430mmR/ 17"
but they absolutely do not feel the same , the neck on the 550 Genesis I had felt quite different from this neck.

Badass. I love maple boards with black or matching headstocks! Nice score!

Incidentally, there's a 1570 in my local shop that I'm thinking of snagging...

I actually have this listed for sale over on the FB market place, I just reach for my Jacksons so it's just sitting.
My wife says I go through guitars like socks LOL!
I have "a problem"

My 2018 RG550G feels different from my 2019 RG550DXG which feels different to me 2020 RG565G, they are all the same dimensions but the finish on them seems to be either slightly different, or in varying states of play wear. The 2018 is my favorite because it's glossier, closer to the 80s Ibby this is trying to reissue. The 2020 has the same exact shape/size but is an incredibly fine satin feel, not at all like a real '91 RG565, which is too bad.

So in short I'm not saying they aren't different, I'm just saying that the spec/dimensions are theoretically the same.

Back