NGD: HP Special USA (w/Pics and Clip)

• Thread starter Thread starter Crunchity
  • Start date Start date
Crunchity
Crunchity
I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for a while now and I finally stumbled onto one! And it's in like new condition, even still has the plastic on the covers. Ok, the flame maple top won't win any contest but eh, it's still a killer playing/sounding guitar!

Crunchy HP Test / Save

Sweet! I like that top, not your std looking tiger stripes

Nice score, welcome to the club! I had a Wolfgang and HP back to back and (while similar) the HPs were much more to my liking.
I like the "dirty" look on your fingerboard! I have one of mine blocked off with a brass big block and dtuna and that is the best sounding one of my bunch:

Thanks RG955TT, cranky!

I remember your selling one (or two) recently but the funds were not in order for me at that moment. I also had a Wolfie (goldtop) and though it recorded/sounded great, I never got over the minor things that bugged me (dive only, reversed selector and weird location, etc) and sold it within' a year. This one feels 'just right'!

Seriously … NOTHING about that guitar I don't like. Love the color, don't mind the top, the zebras, etc. Great looking axe.

The Peavey HP is a great guitar. I have a sweet burgundy flamed carved top that I'm totally in love with!

Thanks JerEvil, Iron Dog, Bytor! And I hear ya on being great, Bytor (feel free to post yours) - I'd definitely snag another one of these if it crossed my path.

Congrats, those are great guitars!

I have an USA HP Special CT Custom, mine doesn't have the trem bridge though.

Thanks again boys! And it's nice to see the top getting some love...here I was thinking it looked odd with those wider flames at the bottom, but I guess they add character lol.

I'd love one almost exactly like that.. what is the neck like? Flat or more contoured like the charvels? What price did you get it for?

Sure, where were all you enthusiastic fellows when I was trying to sell this thing? Pretty sure it was mine, pretty distinctive axe. Glad you're happy with it - if it is the one I sold...

The neck is the same as a Wolfgang - so if you've played one you've got an idea. Feels great and plays fast, kinda reminds me of a Charvel actually.

I picked it up locally at GC for $1k...they were asking $1,100 but I pointed out a few similar ones used going from 9-1k and so they met that halfway.

Thanks MikeDV. Hope you didn't get rapped trading it in. I couldn't have nabbed it for straight up cash this time of year anyway, needed a trade in.

Newayz, it's in impeccable shape, you must baby your gear like a lot of us, or at the very least, you don't neglect it, that is clear. This thing doesn't have a mark on it and the fret wear is miniscule.

That's a great price! It also helps me get an idea of what i should pay for one used if I ever find one i like and it lines up with a time when i have some extra cashola.

Wow - totally crazy -not mine, sold to an individual - definitely it's twin. Very, very cool guitar, you make it sound as cool as it looks! I just didn't bond with it, but still - very nice!

I love the HP Special and prefer it over the Peavey Wolfgang. Better body shape with double cut away and coil taps too. Shame it never took off and was discontinued. I think if Peavey could've landed a big name endorser, people may have taken notice of this really great guitar.

Not all of the HPs feel the same though. Some were made with thicker fret boards and this really changed the overall feel of the guitar, in a good way.

Only thing I would change out on the HP is the bridge pickup, which is a bit mid heavy for my tastes. Other than that, it is a great guitar and is an absolute steal on the used market.

Back