NGD: Kramer Baretta 87 Candy Red

TotallyRadGuitars

Took a risk on a fair condition (in other words, beat to shit condition) used "Kramer Double Cut Floyd Guitar" from Guitar Center this past week. I squinted at the tiny picture and I think I could make out a black pixel that represented a single bridge humbucker and a yellow pixel towards the tip of the headstock that made me think it might be an American series Kramer, and for the price I figured it was worth the risk. Worst case, I can always return it.

Lucky for me, it worked out this time. A nearly spotless, clean, with polished frets and everything Baretta showed up. No case, but actually well packed for once and I have a spare case already waiting for it. The original zebra JBJ is gone, replaced with an EMG 81, but I like EMG's so that's ok. It's one of the better condition Kramers I have, and probably one of the better if not the best condition guitar I've ever gotten from Guitar Center. It's especially surprising as they clearly didn't know what this guitar even was based on its title and price, so I expected them to just throw it into an empty box.

Sounds and plays great. I've sold off my 3 other Barettas in this past year but I think this one will stay a while. Pics:
WwE2EQ9.jpg

T6RGIYp.jpg

6ktEFLV.jpg

pA7aEa4.jpg

(don't worry, I have a spare black string tree for it too)

Love it!😍 found one of the new cheap ones that the guy set up…put an 81 in it and added a kill switch. 150 bucks….
By all accounts those are killer guitars and especially great as an upgrade platform. Would love to grab one but I always forget about them haha.

At the moment I'm technically trying to NOT buy any guitars. I have amps I still want but I have more guitars than I need so I've been trying to sell them and narrow it down to just a few favorites. But if I see something like this one, it's hard not to pull the trigger.

Nice! Any idea what the body is made of? I think maple and poplar were two of the possibilities at the time?

Nice! Any idea what the body is made of? I think maple and poplar were two of the possibilities at the time?
I’ll take a peek inside the cavity or neck pocket this week sometime and try to make a guess.

It arrived and my girl brought it inside and she said she thought the box was empty. And it is indeed extremely lightweight, so probably not maple but I could be wrong.

Most of the poplar ones I’ve had have been the soloist or 7/8 style bodies. The more strat shaped ones like this I’ve had maple or alder mostly. Hard to tell sometimes though.

Took a risk on a fair condition (in other words, beat to shit condition) used "Kramer Double Cut Floyd Guitar" from Guitar Center this past week. I squinted at the tiny picture and I think I could make out a black pixel that represented a single bridge humbucker and a yellow pixel towards the tip of the headstock that made me think it might be an American series Kramer, and for the price I figured it was worth the risk. Worst case, I can always return it.

Lucky for me, it worked out this time. A nearly spotless, clean, with polished frets and everything Baretta showed up. No case, but actually well packed for once and I have a spare case already waiting for it. The original zebra JBJ is gone, replaced with an EMG 81, but I like EMG's so that's ok. It's one of the better condition Kramers I have, and probably one of the better if not the best condition guitar I've ever gotten from Guitar Center. It's especially surprising as they clearly didn't know what this guitar even was based on its title and price, so I expected them to just throw it into an empty box.

Sounds and plays great. I've sold off my 3 other Barettas in this past year but I think this one will stay a while. Pics:
WwE2EQ9.jpg

T6RGIYp.jpg

6ktEFLV.jpg

pA7aEa4.jpg

(don't worry, I have a spare black string tree for it too)
Congrats bro. Love these of age Kramers. As an aside, I really enjoyed your Mark IV synopsis as well. Thanks for your tidy work and for sharing!

Interesting pedal board too :LOL:
Haha despite all the gear I'm actually a huge cheap ass. Those are the slats from my bed frame I stole 4 of them to stick my pedals on lol
Congrats bro. Love these of age Kramers. As an aside, I really enjoyed your Mark IV synopsis as well. Thanks for your tidy work and for sharing!
Thank you!
I had one like it in the mid 80's with a banana headstock. Let me know if you decide to let it go in the future.
Will do! I sold 3 Barettas earlier this year and really miss them. A black one, snakeskin, and a Klein graphic. The snakeskin one in particular was really sweet.

Hope we see a video of this soon? A friend of mine bought one of these new in 87'. I graduated HS in 87'. I bought a Charvel Model 2 in 88'.

Back