Noise Gate recommendations

Shredneck

Hey guys!

Didn't realize how many noise gates there were now haha. What's the best one out there? TC Sentry, Pylon, Revv g8 seem to be superior to the Decimator II G string. I had the ISP and didn't dig it.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

Didn't realize how many noise gates there were now haha. What's the best one out there? TC Sentry, Pylon, Revv g8 seem to be superior to the Decimator II G string. I had the ISP and didn't dig it.

Thanks in advance!
Honestly I found all those gates you mentioned very lacking. None that I’ve tried have been perfect, but the 2 I kept are the Highwind Phalanx and Deadweald Golem. Both discontinued and rare, so you’ll have to hunt for one used. The phalanx is more transparent and natural, whittle the deadweald sounds more modern and can do the fastest stop-start effect I’ve heard in a gate if desired

Last edited:
I've had a Decimator pedal, in front of my rigs for 15 yrs now. I'm pretty sensitive to tonal changes, yet I don't hear any noticeable difference when I use the pedal vs bypassing it completely. I wonder if it's modded in some way.
Before using it I had a Boss NS pedal. That one shaved off some very noticeable high end.

Fortin Zuul - the one knob version. Dead simple to dial in. Works great plugged in like a normal pedal. Works even better if you use a splitter and put a second direct guitar input into the key. You just need a Fortin Spliff or JHS Buffered Splitter for the key input. Never had my tails cut off, never had to turn the gate past 10 O'clock and I play nothing but death metal.

I say Fortin Zuul, but really any one with a key input. I split out of my MXR CAE Buffer into the key and it works great. I 4CM and key the input to gate in my loop before all my time effects. Great success.

The new boss ns-1x is very good imho. I A/B'ed it with a pylon and decimator II G string. Pylon really under performed compared to the other 2. Fastest and most neutral sounding one was the NS-1X. Decimator had a cool sound to it (a bit more mellow & slower) but not as clean/fast as the the Boss unit

Ben Eller and Fluff do a pretty good gate rundown from Sweetwater. Searching Ben Eller noise gate will pull it up. I bought the TC Sentry after watching it to replace a Decimator G II or something like that. I like it better and it has less tone suck. After owning several NS2's, I will never buy one again. Sure it cuts noise, but it also neuters the the hell out of your tone.

Honestly I found all those gates you mentioned very lacking. None that I’ve tried have been perfect, but the 2 I kept are the Highwind Phalanx and Deadweald Golem. Both discontinued and rare, so you’ll have to hunt for one used. The phalanx is more transparent and natural, whittle the deadweald sounds more modern and can do the fastest stop-start effect I’ve heard in a gate if desired
Jordan at Highwind has been making the Phalanx again for about a year now so they are available again. I love mine!

The ones i have kept are the Gup Tech Sun, Decimator Pro Rack G, The Fortin Zuul Plus & The TC Sentry. I'm actually about to sell my extra sentry that was used once at home to make sure it works.

The Sentry & Zuul plus are my favorites of the ones i have owned.

So many noise gate options. My favorites have been the OG Zuul and the GupTech SUN. The Zuul is great if you already have something on your board to split the signal. Otherwise, I find the GupTech to be really close, and it has the key in and out built in. I didn't like the Revv or the Zuul+. I always preferred the NS-2 over the ISP gates (had the OG and II versions of the Decimator and G-String, and had a pro-rack G). Outside of that, there are a ton of newer boutique options that I haven't tried. I tried the Sentry twice and had issues with the unit both times, so wasn't too happy with that.

Back