Not a pedal guy at all, but the hype is real!! Boss GE10

scottosan

The Boss GE10 !!!

I say hype, but it’s still a relatively underrated pedal. Probably due to its availability in 100V only.

I’ve been struggle with noise since I got here to Japan. The power sucks, but that’s life. My Tonenerd has a tweak metro and the leveraging to the pedal are as high as they’d be on and amp without a Jose Master volume. As a result, time based FX while not having and tone suck, just weren’t as wet as they be if the levels from the amp were hotter. It’s always been a balancing act because on the clean channel the levels are hotter from the loop. I’ve really been struggle even with noise gates because of the non standard levels, so I was think of just getting an EQ pedal just ton raise levels while on the gain channel.

Since moving here, I’ve been like a crackhead at the second hand stores spending way too much money, and lo and behold, an immaculate specimen of the Boss GE10 for ¥10900 = $67. FFS, you f&ckers would be GASing big time over here!!!

Anyway 2 minutes after hooking it up flay with a few db Boston get the line levels up worked flawlessly to get my pedal just the right instrument level signal. The time base FX sound better then ever and the levels got me to where my noise gate could do it’s magic.

So, okay. Let’s make some fun smiley face eq shapes. Oh yeah. I feel like I just got a bunch of new amps. Endless tone shaping possibilities with not sterile tones. It’s a really warm and quiet pedal. I highly recommend

IMG_5738.jpeg
IMG_5735.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you used the remote switch? Any suggestions?
Lmao - I had edited & removed that it was switchable in my reply!

I have not, but I think any momentary (like a Marshall single button) may work? Not sure if that would be a TS or TRS type though.

Just to let everyone know, the transformers on every GE-10 can be converted from 100v to 117v by simply moving a few wires. 🤷 Knowledge is power.

I’ve own a few GE-10’s for decades. They are great.

I did not know this, or else I would probably have a ge10 laying around already!

Good to know!

$67 is a steal. The GE-10 is a good one. One of the 3 GEQ pedals I kept. My personal favorite is the vintage Ibanez GE-601. It has a very pleasing midrange and I find a more organic and warm quality to the inherent tone. Sometimes I also like my Big Jam GEQ. All of these are old Japanese pedals that I’m guessing can also be found cheap there

Vintage Ibanez pedals in general imo are very underrated. I like even more my Ibanez PQ-401 and BE-10

I have two of these, and agree that they are great.
I double checked my wiring a few years ago, and they were previously converted.

Here are a couple of pictures that someone else posted, of the before and after wiring. Basically swapping the blue and green taps.

Attachments

• GE10 Before.jpg
    GE10 Before.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • GE10 After.jpg
    GE10 After.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Guitars and pedals would be heaven over there but I imagine not so much with amps. Apart from Univox I can’t think of any older Japanese amps that would be cool. (Don’t care about the JC120).

I have two of these, and agree that they are great.
I double checked my wiring a few years ago, and they were previously converted.

Here are a couple of pictures that someone else posted, of the before and after wiring. Basically swapping the blue and green taps.
You're welcome.

:cool:

Back