Ordered a set of pickups for my new Strat, planning some other mods

• Thread starter Thread starter GreatRedDragon
  • Start date Start date
GreatRedDragon
GreatRedDragon
My first "proper" Strat, a 2023 Fender Japan Hybrid II model:

KCDHqfL.jpeg

Great guitar, but the stock Strat electronics are just not for me. My favorite Strat tones were never the truly vintage, they're the more processed and I suppose sterile sounds from the 80s.

Explored a few options looking for noiseless pickups, considered EMGs and stacked offerings from Duncan and DiMarzio, ended up going for a set of Lace Sensor Hot Golds. Passive single coils, but still noiseless. The set I ordered has a hot bridge pickup (DCR of 13.2k vs the 6k of the neck and middle), going for somewhere in-between Gilmour and Clapton.

The pickups are just part of it though.

I'm going to get a 10-way Freeway switch. I like that it retains classic 5-way positions, and the five new combinations are all on the second bank. It's cleaner and easier than push-pulls, mini toggles and blend knobs.

I'm also going to swap out the two tone knobs, which I find pretty useless as-is. Interest in Gilmour's Red Strat and Clapton's signature Strat got me curious about active tone controls, so what I have planned is to swap the tone knobs for two EMG pieces: The SPC (mid boost) and the AB 220 (output boost). The SPC can dial in more humbucker-style grunt, while the AB 220 has two detented positions (8db and 20db) that make it a very useful boost. I especially like that when dialed down to zero they are disabled, whereas the Clapton preamp is always on to some extent.

To make life easier, I will also swap the stock volume pot for an EMG solderless 250k, which is designed for passive pickups and includes a ground wire. Mating the output of the switch to the input of the volume pot is just a matter of clipping off the EMG cable's connector and soldering it to the switch. So everything after the switch will be on EMG's solderless system, which I am a big fan of overall.

20240826_175422.jpg

Everything is wired up and this Strat is now a monster.

The pickups sound gorgeous, with the bridge having that needed bump of output and compression next to the neck and middle. They are also almost totally noisefree, which is crucial given the active electronics.

The freeway switch is very intuitive and all 10 positions sound good. All three in parallel makes a nice, full, almost acoustic sound. The three series connections play nicely and add significant girth and putput. And the bridge/neck in parallel is that very sweet Tele tone.

The EMG stuff is where it gets interesting. The SPC adds bark and fullness, it's very easy to find the sweet spot and in this case I think much more useful than a traditional tone control. The Afterburner on the otherhand sends straight volume, and it is an extremely convenient boost. Rolling up to the first notch just adds some output and sparkle, going past that creates a singing boost. Like the SPC, it is very easy to hit the sweet spots. Cranking both pots gets straight into 80s hard rock territory, it really feels like a guitar with passive humbuckers.

All in all, a huge upgrade over the stock electronics. It was a pricy upgrade, but totally worth it. The range of tones this guitar can cover is massive.

Back