OT: Wolfetone Marshallheads

• Thread starter Thread starter Fiesta Red
  • Start date Start date
Fiesta Red
Fiesta Red
I just installed Wolfetone Marshallheads in one of my Les Pauls, and they sound great! I'm still experimenting with different amp settings and pickup heights. I think I found one of the sweet spots for the height adjustment. There a a lot of different classic Les Paul sounds with these pickups -- it's pretty interesting to tweak the amp settings, play a few notes and think "Hey that sounds like this recording or that song." I get both great distortion tones and clean as well. The bridge is not thin sounding like a lot of other pickups I have tried. I can really crank the gain and get into Van Halen and Buckcherry territory quite easily. I do boost my gain signal with an Xotic BB Preamp and an RC Booster. I'll save the really heavy stuff for my LP with the Dirty Fingers in the bridge. My favorite magnets for Les Paul pickups are Alnico 2s, but these are Alnico 5s. Makes me wonder if the A2s would sound even better.

As far as comparing them to the WCRs, the Marshallhead neck sounds quite similar to the WCR Crossroad with just a little more clarity in the individual notes. The bridge has my favorite tones from both the Goodwood, the Darkburst, and the Crossroads. It's kind of weird that it takes all the best tones from all three and combines them.

-Mark

I've got a set in one of my Les Pauls, and they are great sounding pickups.

Back