OT: Your Favorite Drummers?

• Thread starter Thread starter CaseyCor
  • Start date Start date
C
CaseyCor
Was talking drummers with some friends of mine today, and figured I'd ask you fine fellows. This list is in no order.

SHANNON LARKEN!!
He's the guy who got me into playing drums. I always loved the drums as a little kid and played a lot (I got my first drum kit when I was 5), but when I first saw him play, I knew it was my calling. He's the fucking MAN! He was even better when I saw him with Godsmack in '04.

Chris Adler
He's one of my big influences on the drums. He does some very unorthodox shit, that really reminds me of my playing.

Adam D.
Pre-EOH era KSE was fucking sick. Adam tore it up behind the kit, for sure!

Clive Burr
He was one of my early drum influences, very cool! Sad to see he can no longer play the drums :(

Nicko McBrian
Clive's position was filled with more greatness! Nicko is an awesome drummer with a very cool style.

Dave Grohl
One of my earliest influences with Nirvana. Just a powerhouse of a drummer. He knows how to fill space perfectly without over-doing it. Get "Songs for the Deaf" by Queens of the Stone Age if your looking for a good example.

Dave Lombardo
The Speed King! Awesome player, and a good guy.

Gar Samuelson
A MONSTER of a drummer! He was incredible! R.I.P

Neil Pert
Obvious reasons.

Mike Portnoy
Obvious reasons, again.

Scott Rockenfield
Really dig his playing with Queensryche, very cool guy!

Josh Eppard
I don't know, theirs just something about him and his style that I love. He's an AWESOME drummer. He just has this signature style that NO ONE can replicate. Check out the first 3 Coheed and Cambria records and see what I'm talking about.

Brann Dailor
CRAZY! He's just an awesome player. Relentless speed, and a crazy signature style.

Sean Kinney
I've always been a big AIC fan, and he's always been on my list. His playing just really fits the band.

and 100's more I can't think of right now. I'll add some more later.

So, who are your favorite drummers, and why?

I tend to like the wild classic rock drummers:

1. John Bonham -- Led Zeppelin, Need I say more
2. Keith Moon -- The Who, again need I say more
3. Mitch Mitchell -- Jimi Hendrix Experience, Jimi gets all the credit as he should, but Mitch is a great drummer
4. Ginger Baker -- Cream/Blind Faith, Awesome drummer, wonderful tom work.
5. Vinnie Paul -- Pantera/Damage Plan, great heavy metal drummer, sounds like a cement mixer

Ben Koller - Converge, Cave In
Chris Pennie - The Dillinger Escape Plan

Two dudes that will probably kick my ass at every sort of rock-related music for as long as I live.

:|::QBB:
SgtThump":d1768 said:
Peart and Bonham are the only two that come to mind to me. I mean, others are no doubt great, but those two just have their own distinct style that I like.
+1 The first 2 that come to mind for me also.

I didn't mention some of the above just because they are accepted as the "usuals" on this list.

Chris Penne is the new drummer for Coheed and Cambria, so I hope what you say it true!

Shannon Larkin
Dave Lombardo
Vinnie Paul
Lars Ulrich, I dont' care what you guys say about his skill, without him RTL, or Justice or basically any early Metallica would sound completely different.

I'd name more, but I don't feel like it lol

As basic as he may be, I began drumming while listening to Metallica when I was 7, so Lars Ulrich is a big reason I began drumming. And my dad drummed too. Lars and I have the same birthday lol

So my list in no particular order
Lars Ulrich
Danny Carey
Inferno
Joey Jordison
Neal Peart
Tomas Haake
Paul Bostaph
Nicholas Barker
Mike Portnoy

Peart
Portnoy

Nick Barker-Dimmu Borgir/Cradle of Filth
Tommy Aldrich-Whitesnake/Ozzy

Any of you guys ever heard of Marco Minniman? (sp?) Fucking INCREDIBLE! Do a you tube search!

Peter Wildoer - Darkane/Arch Enemy
Henry Ranta - Soilwork
Brann Dailor - Mastodon
Richard Christy - Death/Iced Earth
Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden

AH! Theres one that slipped by somehow, Inferno! what a fucking machine.

If I could play with Terry Bozzio and he would play the way he did when he was in Missing Persons I would be a happy guy. Otherwise, John Bonham would be great. Kind of funny in that Bozzio always pushed the beat and Bonham always dragged the beat.

Terry Bozzio
Mike Portnoy
Lars Ulrich
Ringo Starr
Dave McLain
Alex Acuna
Danny Carey
Ginger Fish
David Silvera

* shannon larkin is the best modern rock n roll drummer going.
* mickey dee (motorhead) is the best old school rock n roll drummer.
* pete sandoval (morbid angel)
* richard christy (but no longer plays)
* john bohnam
* Bill ward
* behemoth's drummer(i forget his name)

I'm glad someone agrees with me on Shannon! He's a fucking monster behind the kit.

as a former drummer...faves and influences go...

pete sandoval
jimmy bower (love his guitar work too)
sean kinney
kc howard
ricky myers
chris adler
dave lombardo
dave maclain
mike smith
john longstreth
nicko mcbrain
tim "herb" alexander