Paul Gilbert just might not be human

• Thread starter Thread starter controlled_voltage
  • Start date Start date
One of the few from the early Shrapnel days who kept growing and expanding
his chops AND musicality.

Last edited:
He's incredible and I found he really hit it with the Mr. Big stuff. His shreddiness with melody and catchy song writing. My only gripe now though? This stacking pedals for your dirt thing into a more or less clean Marshall just isn't working for me. The new JHS sig pedal he uses sounds bloated. Doesn't cut enough for his playing. Sounds boxy to my ears.

I agree. His laney tones were brutal and the early racer x was a jose or lee Jackson marshall.
I think his new tones are off because he’s losing his hearing

This stacking pedals for your dirt thing into a more or less clean Marshall just isn't working for me.

I know what you mean.
I find that what he's playing makes me forget out his tone pretty quick though.
:D

Noticed no headphones in videos of late. Wonder if he had surgery or something.

Enjoyed that massive tune/riff medly...even recognized some of his King of Clubs material (personally loved that one).

I love his playing and the fact that he does all kinds of stuff and still has his chops and is sharp. All players evolve somewhat over time and lose their fastball a bit but hopefully become tastier in the process. I am not comparing myself to any of these guys because I am a hack wannabe but I was a sharper player in my 20s and 30s. Not that I was ever good but you change over time I think.

I know what you mean.
I find that what he's playing makes me forget out his tone pretty quick though.
:D

Noticed no headphones in videos of late. Wonder if he had surgery or something.
Definitely, just a small gripe. The guy could rock a pignose and still sound precise. Oh, looks like it was 2016 so before the sig pedal but still he has been stacking drives for a long time now. I just like him better with a sound that cuts and amp drive (ADA and Marshall, Laney were a little fizzy) with an OD to tighten. Suits his picking.

Love me some Paul Gilbert... guy is amazing, humble and weirdly funny. Great guitarist

He used to love his Vintage Modern. But as previously stated he could play any amp it it would sound amazing. That’s how the extreme talent rolls

Back