pickups for a guitar with dead sounding wood?

Capulin Overdrive

got a guitar with what's supposed to be Mahogany, but it seems to be some pretty sorry stuff. guitar is pretty light and the wood just sounds dead and hollow.

any pups that could maybe work, or better off taking my lumps on the guitar and getting rid of it?

for starters what kind of guitar is it? secondly check your electronics and pickup wiring etc. it`s an electric guitar not an acoustic. thats why they call them electric guitars. dont believe me. play a $3000 guitar whatever into a$300 amp. then play a cort or a squier through a $3000 amp. see which one sounds better.

:|::QBB:
SHAWN":76ec7 said:
for starters what kind of guitar is it? secondly check your electronics and pickup wiring etc. it`s an electric guitar not an acoustic. thats why they call them electric guitars. dont believe me. play a $3000 guitar whatever into a$300 amp. then play a cort or a squier through a $3000 amp. see which one sounds better.

That's a pretty shitty analogy and totally invalid test setup you got there.

SHAWN":210b0 said:

If you think an electric guitar doesn't require good acoustic properties to sound good...well I guess ignorance is bliss. Go on and buy any guitar based on its looks and not its sound, and hope that whatever electronics it has is enough to overcome its shitty acoustics. Give it 10 years or so and you'll learn just how wrong you are. :)

For that matter, the cost or name brand of the guitar has little to do with it as long as the cuts of wood happen to sound good. Chances are you can cherry pick a guitar from 30 of the same model, one which happens to sound far better than the rest, even if that model costs $300. I've proven this many times.

Burn it before it spreads. If it doesn't sound good unplugged you are pushing a rope uphill to fix it. You should always play em unplugged prior to plugging in. I have bought electrics without even trying the pickups out. Thats not real smart but I have always depended on the acoustic sound as a priority to the buy.

the guy still has not said what kind of guitar/pickup combination it actually is.

shitty huh? what does the fucking electric guitar do when you dont have it plug into an amp? can you hear it above a loud tv HELL NO! the amp is the bottom on an electric guitar. of all people i would think you would agree james peter. think for yourself. oh yeah carry on :)

I'm dead serious Shawn. If the guitar's acoustic properties are "dead", it will sound "dead" through an amp too. Anyone with significant experience with multiple guitars over the years will agree with me 100% on this. It's not because you're trying to make it sound louder than a TV when it's unplugged, it's because it generates sound and that's what is amplified. That should be self-evident.

I've also owned more guitars than I can even remember (more than 50), and have swapped pickups in almost every one. That doesn't count all the guitars I've tried and compared either. If you want to ignore me that's fine, but I'm talking sense.

It should also make sense that I'm right, because otherwise why would there be guitars made of different woods with different features etc., if the only difference in the sound would be the electronics.

JamesPeters":7ea9e said:
I'm dead serious Shawn. If the guitar's acoustic properties are "dead", it will sound "dead" through an amp too. Anyone with significant experience with multiple guitars over the years will agree with me 100% on this. It's not because you're trying to make it sound louder than a TV when it's unplugged, it's because it generates sound and that's what is amplified. That should be self-evident.

I've also owned more guitars than I can even remember (more than 50), and have swapped pickups in almost every one. That doesn't count all the guitars I've tried and compared either. If you want to ignore me that's fine, but I'm talking sense.

It should also make sense that I'm right, because otherwise why would there be guitars made of different woods with different features etc., if the only difference in the sound would be the electronics.

I probably have the same amount of experiance with guitars as you do James and I agree with you 100%

on a sidenote... I spent a lot of money on a custom guitar only to have that guitar get its ass kicked by a $400 Tex mex Fender strat.
It's luck of the draw as to if you get a good sounding piece of wood. It wont make a difference if the guitar cost $60,000 or $ 200 if the wood doesn't have the tone. I have experianced this time and time again.

bill":f30f5 said:
Burn it before it spreads. If it doesn't sound good unplugged you are pushing a rope uphill to fix it. You should always play em unplugged prior to plugging in. I have bought electrics without even trying the pickups out. Thats not real smart but I have always depended on the acoustic sound as a priority to the buy.
+ 1342

I don't even bother plugging in electric guitars when I try them out.
I like trems...and blocking it usually sounds much better to me as well.

I'm on my way to cherry pick another guitar in the $500 range this week actually. :) I need a "metal" guitar that hauls ass, so I'm bringing my Chimera with me to music stores and trying guitars until one "clicks" with it.

JamesPeters":28b8a said:
I'm on my way to cherry pick another guitar in the $500 range this week actually. :) I need a "metal" guitar that hauls ass, so I'm bringing my Chimera with me to music stores and trying guitars until one "clicks" with it.

:rawk:

i`ll meet you halfway on this subject ok fair enough there are darker and brighter woods. ash vs. mahogany etc. the pickup thing is a waste of time unless you are going from low gain to super high gain etc. but it is the main link between the guitar and the amp . low pickups/ highgain amp= highgain pickups 4 hole marshall same with speakers.the only guitar ive ever used that i can totally say the body material made a huge difference is my trussart steel paul. it is hollow body steel and can be heard above the television unplugged. it is a loud guitar but tone wise it also has tom holmes pickups in it. it is also warmer than any les paul. go figure. :D

JamesPeters":0585f said:
Any guitar with EMGs will do teh beez!11!! :D

Back