Pickups for basswood/maple neck?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
Can anybody recommend 2 good humbucking pickups for a guitar
with basswood/maple top/maple neck/board? i currently have suhr aldrichs in them but i want more
mids/bass and thickness.
thanks

My first thought is Dimarzio Steve's Special (bridge) for the basswood. Works well with that. It also pairs really well with the Air Norton.

I like the Tone Zone / Humbucker from Hell combo in basswood/maple neck

When I had my EBMM JP6 I reached out to Tim at Bare Knuckle pickups. He recommended the Miracle Man set for a the basswood/maple combination FWIW.

SP Custom Pickups CHAOSLAND II (bridge) et BOOM LEACH (neck)!

Trust me, you will be thoroughly impressed!

Toshiro":2nr9xq9y said:
Dimarzio Breeds.
I second this. The Breeds were initially designed for a basswood body/maple neck guitar, specifically Steve Vai's Jem 7DBK. I own one and it's one of my favorite guitars, exactly the tone the OP says he's looking for. After buying the 7DBK, I ended up putting Breeds in several other guitars, as well. Love them. They help fatten up most any guitar. I also love Suhr Aldrich pickups, though I've never tried them in a basswood-body guitar to know how they compare to Breeds in that exact context. Both pickups were designed to be "hot" PAF-style and, I think, in general, the Breed is a bit fuller in the mids and lows than the Aldrich.

gibson5413":m627md3n said:
When I had my EBMM JP6 I reached out to Tim at Bare Knuckle pickups. He recommended the Miracle Man set for a the basswood/maple combination FWIW.
The MM sounds great in that wood combo IME. I originally purchased a set for a mahog guitar because I thought they were designed for a mahog LP(Zakk Wylde?). I didn't like how they sounded in my SL2H-MAH, so I was going to send them back to Tim for a rewind/covers. While I had them out though, I threw them in a basswood project guitar I was putting together, just to get a feel how the guitar played, and it sounded massive. Kept trying those pups in about 5 different mahog bodies, all sub $2k fiddles, and it sounded the best in the cheap basswood guitar for some reason. Finally gave up on trying them in other guitars, and they are still in that old basswood/maple RG.

Erock":lx8sy7qz said:
Kept trying those pups in about 5 different mahog bodies, all sub $2k fiddles, and it sounded the best in the cheap basswood guitar for some reason. Finally gave up on trying them in other guitars, and they are still in that old basswood/maple RG.

Erock, what did you end up finding that worked well in your mahogany guitars? I am about to put a BKP Cold Sweat in one of mine, so was just curious what else you might have found that works well.

veji":22ig47lw said:
Can anybody recommend 2 good humbucking pickups for a guitar
with basswood/maple top/maple neck/board? i currently have suhr aldrichs in them but i want more
mids/bass and thickness.
thanks

Suhr DSH+ and DSV. I had the DSH+ in an S2 and loved it.

OUTLAW1969":bupg6nj3 said:
Erock":bupg6nj3 said:
Kept trying those pups in about 5 different mahog bodies, all sub $2k fiddles, and it sounded the best in the cheap basswood guitar for some reason. Finally gave up on trying them in other guitars, and they are still in that old basswood/maple RG.

Erock, what did you end up finding that worked well in your mahogany guitars? I am about to put a BKP Cold Sweat in one of mine, so was just curious what else you might have found that works well.
for the music I play, which is on the heavier side, I like the Painkillers a lot in mahogany. Has a nice accentuated growl in the mids and a deep but controlled lowend with the mahogany. The Rebel Yell is also pretty killer for my tastes. The Coldsweat is another I want to try in mahogany actually, so I would be interested to hear how you get on with it. :thumbsup:

how about motorcity pickups? I have the afwayu in a maple body guitar. sounded cool!

Back