Pickups for Les Paul

• Thread starter Thread starter goingelectric
  • Start date Start date
G
goingelectric
My guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Standard 95 with Alnico II Pro (SD) on bridge and neck. Will those pickups deliver too much output for the Diezel VH4?
Shall I switch back to the stock pickups?

Any other advice? I´m looking for a clean sound that sounds clean as fuck and loud but still is bass heavy (read: tons of tone). I can´t stand the vox clean sound, it´s way too much treble in it.

The crunch has to be defined and controlled but still crunchy ofcourse.
I don´t want it to lose shape and sound like some muddy crap.

anyone?
what pickups shall I go for?

goingelectric":5ec02 said:
My guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Standard 95 with Alnico II Pro (SD) on bridge and neck. Will those pickups deliver too much output for the Diezel VH4?
Shall I switch back to the stock pickups?

Any other advice? I´m looking for a clean sound that sounds clean as fuck and loud but still is bass heavy (read: tons of tone). I can´t stand the vox clean sound, it´s way too much treble in it.

The crunch has to be defined and controlled but still crunchy ofcourse.
I don´t want it to lose shape and sound like some muddy crap.

anyone?
what pickups shall I go for?

I personally would stick with the Alnico II Pro's, i think they sound great for that kinda thing. if need be, you can always EQ the amp a little bit to add any extra top or bass!

Go with the stock 498T if you like that alnico thing or 500T if you are a ceramic guy. I like the 500. If you want clean as fuck you are going to loose a little on the distortion end. It never hurts to just roll off your volume too. That's what I do, but I am not in need of "clean as fuck". IMO

again with this":e4c4a said:
Go with the stock 498T if you like that alnico thing or 500T if you are a ceramic guy. I like the 500. If you want clean as fuck you are going to loose a little on the distortion end. It never hurts to just roll off your volume too. That's what I do, but I am not in need of "clean as fuck". IMO

hehe. thanks man! :)
not sure what they are think they are 498s :)

I think you should stick with the Alnico II Pro's. I'm pretty sure they're on the lower output side of things in the SD line of pickups. A lot of people love them for their clarity. I'm pretty sure they can do all the things you describe, especially with a VH4.

Back