Please tell me about NOS RFT 12ax7/ecc83's

mctallica1

I just looked these things up. Kinda expensive at almost $40 each.

Are they worth the cost?

What are the tonal characteristics?

Do you use a full set or only certain slots?

Thanks!
T

I tried one in V1 of my Herbert and quite liked it. It has less headroom then the stock tube, so earlier breakup and more gain. Nice smooth top end and a thick midrange. I had one that was kind of noisy and one that was excellent out of the two I bought. It's lasted quite a while so far too.

The RFT sounded great in every amp I tried it with in the V1 position. It makes the amp sound more full and adds more crunch, kinda warms up the tone a bit as well. Only negative thing is that it makes the clean channel suffer a bit. I think they're well worth $35 though.

:|::QBB:
mctallica1":5f965 said:
Do you use a full set or only certain slots?

T
Deopends on the amp. If the amp has a "good separation" of tubes vs. channels, then into the socket which affects the channel. In vintage Marshalls into V1 in general (for me).

If it is an amp like a DSL, Powerball or something where V1 is shared for all "modes", you have to try if you really like it in V1 (clean) or simply use a later socket, which affects the crunch & lead sound.

Also RFT ECC81 are very nice for PI sockets

I think I may pick up a couple.

What is the general concensus on reliability...ie, if I buy 2, what are the chances one will be bad? :doh:

I have them in V1 and V3 of my blackmore and in V1 and V2 of my JVM. I also have NOS Siemens (made by RFT) EL34's in my JVM and would recommend them highly. I think that the RFT pre tubes take away the sizzle that some amps can produce at hi gain levels. I feel that my overtall tone on both amps is fatter and tighter. Just my $.02... :)

I've been playing with preamp tubes for the last two months and have a pair of NOS 5751 JANS coming in the mail this week. I will give em a shot and post on my findings. To date in my old 59 amp the NOS 12AU7's have sounded the best but I don't have much overall volume. The 5751 are 70% gain as opposed to the 20% of the 12AU7's and should make a big difference. That being said, preamp tube make a big difference and you need to try different ones to see what your ear and amp likes the best.

:|::QBB:
bill":24fa7 said:
preamp tube make a big difference and you need to try different ones to see what your ear and amp likes the best.

Agree 100000%!

I have found that in high gain amps, I tend to like some combination of 8th gens, JJ's and Tung Sol's...but not every amp. I really like Sovteks in my VHT and so far, I like a NOS Sylvania in v1 of my MOD50.

I have never tried the RFT's before, so I think having a few on hand to play with should be cool.

My favourite high gain amp 12AX7's are the late 80's / early 90's Chinese (square getter) tubes. They are VERY reliable and have tons of gain!
I have a tube tester and these tubes are always at the high mark for output, in fact sometimes 30% higher than other brand new tubes.
Sovteks are the worst, I don't care what anyone says, garbage!
I'd love to know what your thoughts are after trying out the RFT's as I've heard nothing but good ... especially if Olaf likes 'em!! :thumbsup:
He has good ears, old ears, but good!! ;)

Keith

RFTs match super well with the tung sol re issue. I use a RFT in V1 and V3 and a tung sol in V2 Very vocal midrange but not like a cocked wah. unique.

you can get deals on ebay i got my tested pair for $23 :lol:

they've been running strong for about a year now.

Brae

I liked the rft in the herbert,savage 120 and 6505, I didn't like it in the powerball,uber, or roadster.

Has anybody tried a rft in a splawn yet.

The nice thing about good nos pre tubes is that they'll last for fricking ever. I have a few mullards that have been with me through about 6 different amps over the past 5 years.

RFTs have a strong midrange, which makes them a good tube for amps that are a tad on the harsh/shrill side IMO. They helped a lot when I had an Engl, because that amp lacked a nice midrange and had to much highs and lows. They also tamed the Soldano-sizzle when I had a HR50. In my 2203 I just took the RFT out and put a GT12AX7M in which I liked over all of my NOS tubes in that amp. It all comes down to personal preference of a certain tube in a certain amp in the end. :) Personally, I have stopped buying NOS-tubes. IMO prices for the really good stuff went through the roof, especially when there's enough new tubes available again that perform very well.

Back