question about vintage trems

• Thread starter Thread starter stanbog
  • Start date Start date
stanbog
stanbog
since i'm a FR-guy i can set pretty much every floating bridge without prob. BUT i have one guitar with a vintage trem and i recently realised that i have no clue about what exactly the 6 screws before the saddles do (those that go into the body), apart from holding the bridge to the body. obviously they do something more, since they're not equally screwed into the wood (they do something like a /\-curve).

anybody to enlighten me?

no one knows?

no one cares?

no one understands what i mean?

:?

Like those?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ef/Hohner6string.jpg/180px-Hohner6string.jpg

You could always try turning them and see what happens.

With vintage trems, a lot of people like to take out all the screws holding the baseplate to the wood, except for the outer-most two. Then back them out until they just barely touch the metal baseplate. Now back them out again 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn. Keep them lubed up with graphite and you're good to go. It acts more like a 2 post trem this way and you don't have to worry about it binding from the other 4 inner screws.

yeah, i meant exactly those screws pop_n_fresh.

so, if i understand you correctly: if i turn in all 6 screws the bridge won't move that much? or at all?

I don't know what you're trying to achieve. If you want tuning stability, do what I mentioned. If you want it blocked, just screw in the 2 tremolo claw screws on the back and don't even worry about the 6 on the front.

haha, sorry i had to clarify that in the beginning: i'm not trying to achieve anything, since i've blocked that trem and i want it to stay blocked. i was just wondering about the function of those 6 screws, pure curiosity. but i get it now. thanx for explaining. :thumbsup:

Back