Quick & unscientific V30 test

• Thread starter Thread starter ZEN Amps
  • Start date Start date
ZEN Amps
ZEN Amps
Picked up some 1993 Vintage 30's this week, just got them in a cab to do some reamping for a project. Man that modern spike in the upper mids really becomes apparent when you do some direct comparisons in the same cab.

3 clips with same riff: 1993, 2013, and then switching between them.

(EDIT: 4th clip is a blend of both)

SLO into a 90's 1960B. Mic position very similar for both.

Last edited:
Wow , that 1993 V30 sounds good. Is it just a regular v30 or Mesa/Marshall etc

I have a feeling that it`s not just with V30 but all celestions. Search für G12T-75 old vs new comparisons on YT. All of the new ones will have this additional layer of high end fizz in the sound burying the mids

Picked up some 1993 Vintage 30's this week, just got them in a cab to do some reamping for a project. Man that modern spike in the upper mids really becomes apparent when you do some direct comparisons in the same cab.

3 clips with same riff: 1993, 2013, and then switching between them.

SLO into a 90's 1960B. Mic position very similar for both.

The 93 seems to be recorded louder. I like the 2013. Is this the chinese Standard V30?

Okay, so THE metal speaker for the past few decades is basically at least two different speakers 🤔

Both sound cool, IMO.

Are those volumes normalized? Because as someone was saying before, the 93 is louder.

On one hand, I like how smooth and beefy the 93 is. But it also has some slight nasal/honky mids that the 2013 doesn't have.

I used to have a pair of 2012 25th Anni V30's that were noticeably less efficient than other 100dB Celestions.

I have a feeling that it`s not just with V30 but all celestions. Search für G12T-75 old vs new comparisons on YT. All of the new ones will have this additional layer of high end fizz in the sound burying the mids
Yeah the 80's T75 is a very different sound, I really dig them.

The 93 seems to be recorded louder. I like the 2013. Is this the chinese Standard V30?
I didn't change the preamp gain, but yeah there might be a 1dB in it. Yep Chinese, standard T3904.

Both sound cool, IMO.

Are those volumes normalized? Because as someone was saying before, the 93 is louder.

On one hand, I like how smooth and beefy the 93 is. But it also has some slight nasal/honky mids that the 2013 doesn't have.

I used to have a pair of 2012 25th Anni V30's that were noticeably less efficient than other 100dB Celestions.
For sure, speaker efficiency is just a nominal value and the perceived volume will vary depending on many factors. In this case I think the old one is a little more efficient all round, even though it's a little darker.

I've added a clip of them blended, best of both worlds?

Back