R.I.P. Rick Ocasek

• Thread starter Thread starter ElectricVoodoo
  • Start date Start date
RIP indeed... Moving in Stereo! Phoebe Cates... man GAWD dang. What an iconic song/scene..

&
Eddie Money last week.

MrDowntown":z1x2pwbq said:
Eddie Money last week.

Yup, wth is going on tbh..

R.I.P both, listened bunch of Eddie's hits after i found out about his death, i guess it's The Cars today.

The music of my generation. My first girlfriend seduced me in 1978, and it was The Cars debut album that set the mood for that glorious afternoon. I'll tell ya, she clamped-down on my ****, and rode me like a little pony!

After draining me several times, she turned me onto UFO, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, and most importantly, her electric guitar. I figured out how to play the intro to Smoke On The Water, and even played it in 4ths! Okay, that's not a big deal, but it the first time that I had ever touched an electric guitar. She let me take the guitar home with me, and I never gave her another thought. I was hoping she'd let me keep it, but that didn't happen. Six months later, I purchased my first guitar... A 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty!

RIP Rick

Goat":oc3ewefn said:
The music of my generation. My first girlfriend seduced me in 1978, and it was The Cars debut album that set the mood for that glorious afternoon. I'll tell ya, she clamped-down on my _____, and rode my like a little pony!

After draining me several times, she turned me onto UFO, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, and most importantly, her electric guitar! I figured out how to play the intro to Smoke On The Water, and even played it in 4ths! Okay, that's not a big deal, but it the first time that I had ever touched an electric guitar. She let me take the guitar home with me, and never gave her another thought. I was hoping she'd let me keep it, but that didn't happen. Six months later, I purchased my first guitar... A 1978 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty!

RIP Rick

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 463
ElectricVoodoo":38vwcrs8 said:

My friends sent me a few text messages last night about this. It's truly sad as The Cars was the soundtrack of my teen years. I went to the Cars concert during the '80s at the Cow Palace in San Francisco with the original lineup of the band. The Cars didn't tour that much in the West Coast and was lucky to have seen them when they were still together with Ben Orr & Ric Ocasek was still alive.

I was more of a headbanger/metal head kind of guy, but listening to The Cars diversified my musical taste and became my favorite New Wave band when my peers all hated New Wave. I was one of the few people in my leather jacket/favorite rock band T-shirt/jeans. Everyone was else was dressed up in colorful '80s style clothing. The guys all wore Miami Vice suits with tank tops underneath or dress shirts with skinny ties and the girls had dresses with poodle skirts or looked like Madonna. Lots of girls at the concert and it wasn't a sausage fest. :2thumbsup:

I was happy that they reunited in 2011 with the original lineup minus Ben Orr (R.I.P.) and started touring again, but Ric Ocasek didn't like to tour much and was more into producing other bands. Elliot Easton is one of my favorite '80s guitarist who still sounds fresh and new to my ears whenever I listen to The Cars. What a great guitarist! Unfortunately, we're all getting older and our favorite rock musicians are getting older/retire/pass away over time. Thanks for sharing the post.

Guitar George

Candy-O I need you ! R.I.P to a great song writer and producer .

Hamer95USA":1azv0aav said:
Goat":1azv0aav said:
The music of my generation. My first girlfriend seduced me in 1978, and it was The Cars debut album that set the mood for that glorious afternoon. I'll tell ya, she clamped-down on my _____, and rode my like a little pony!

After draining me several times, she turned me onto UFO, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, and most importantly, her electric guitar! I figured out how to play the intro to Smoke On The Water, and even played it in 4ths! Okay, that's not a big deal, but it the first time that I had ever touched an electric guitar. She let me take the guitar home with me, and never gave her another thought. I was hoping she'd let me keep it, but that didn't happen. Six months later, I purchased my first guitar... A 1978 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty!

RIP Rick
Damn skippy! Her ice water enemas, and fudge sickle rim-jobs, were the stuff of legend! :yes:

I got in an argument with my friend today at work when he said The Cars were a Pop Band. I was like "are you f'ing high?" and he said "well how would you categorize them?" and I said "dude, they are a rock band". I told them they play instruments, they have great songs, have crunchy guitars, etc. That is not an f'ing Pop Band. Then some girl chimed in, "well I heard one of their songs when I was a kid in Texas and it was a Pop station" and I gave her this "shut the f**k up look". I said "just because your station played them doesn't mean they are a Pop band. Rock bands can have popular songs". So irritating.

I get in arguments constantly with people in my office. Most of them say things that just make me cringe. There are two of us in there that know what guitar a certain player used on song five of a certain album, etc. and then there are the rest of them that say things like "Blink-182 and Fall out Boy are my favorite bands". I'm not slamming those bands but there are a million other bands I'd put before them. Or they'll say something like "well I know Stairway to Heaven but what other songs have Led Zeppelin done?" and then I want to put my head in our office shredder....

This is going to get more and more frequent, unfortunately. Eddie Money, Rick Ocasek both were in their 70s. That’s about the time we all go, give or take a few years. Most of our classic rock heros are close to that age or are right at it. We’re going to loose many of them in the next decade.

Back