Randall RM100 gig review

stratotone

Well, I had one of these before, and it sounded like crap with my GT8. So I sold it and moved on, even though I thought the switchable tube preamps was a very cool feature.

Here's what I used at the gig last night:

Sennheiser EW100 wireless into a crybaby fasel classic (more on this wah in another thread) into a modded Boss SD-1 to the front end of the RM100. In the loop was a TC G-major. Changed patches with a Rocktron midi controller. Channel 1 was the Randall Ultra module, Channel 2 was Recto, 3 was a clean module. I had the rocktron set up for 5 different sounds - two channel 1, two channel 2, one clean. the last pair of channel 1 and two had louder delays, and the top 5 turned off/on delay, chorus, tap tempo and a solo boost.

It sounded great. Was a little fatter than my VHT, not quite as much clarity, but it also was a LOT easier to play... was tighter than the JSX, but not quite as tight as the VHT but close depending on the module. I had the cab (marshall GT75 loaded slant) thumping pretty good and it didn't woof out at all. I REALLY enjoyed using the ultra module, the recto was ok, and the clean was well, clean. I set the gain at about 1/3rd up on the recto and used the SD to push it, so it gave me 4 effective channels.

So what is the bad thing about this setup? The freakin' Randall is HEAVY. I mean HEAVY. I think they are around 75 pounds or so... feels twice as heavy as my VHT. It sucks... a band I shared a bill with had a marshall head cover/case with casters on it like luggage. I may be investing in one if the RM100 fits in it. One other thing that was interesting is that I had the amp CRANKED... the G-major cut my effective levels since when I set it for the same volume with or without the G, it clipped in the G-major. May just be operator error on my part, but we'll see. Plus I had the amp volume down -6db for the volume 'boost'. It still kicked ass, had the guys in the band say I had my best tone yet, and they've always been happy with the sounds I got.

I'm thinking about getting the rackmount head and running it with the mesa 295 I recently acquired. Anyways, I'm a convert back to the Randall modular concept... : )

So I'm never gonna play in a band, nor play out...but I'm curious what the thoughts of a real musician are on the Ultra module?

Did you use it much?

I freakin love mine.,...it's awesome for garage playing by myself..tight, big bottom end..nice sizzle if you want it and gobs of gain :D

I can pretty much dial it in to sound Recto-like at one end or ENGL Powerball like at the other...mine has a modded cap in though...so the bass is cut somewhat...but there is generally too much bass on a lot of the modules anyway (I keep my density low...except if I'm looking for that Powerball sound ;-) )

I've sold a bunch of amps recently...and tbh I could be happy with just the Randall..although I can't bring myself to get rid of my real Recto.....maybe because the MTS stuff sounds more Modern than Vintage...and I love Recto Vintage/Orange with the Tube Rectifier :D

I have an RM50HB Head and the RM20B Combo...the RM100 is way too heavy, thank goodness for those handles :D

I'm really interested by these..anyone wana give me a rundown? Prices, Favorite Moduals, other info? Thanks a lot

:|::QBB:
CaseyCor":8dafd said:
I'm really interested by these..anyone wana give me a rundown? Prices, Favorite Moduals, other info? Thanks a lot

Possibly the best place to go is:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/

Here's my rundown FWIW:

RM4 - 4 space rackmount pre - runs $699 new, $300 too $400 used
Has all the features of a rackmount pre you'd expect...effectively 4 channels with any module
RT2/50 - power amp for the RM4..don't recall prices but has EL34 and 6L6 for 50W running and ability to mix both for 100W...switchable with the RM4..cool idea

RM100M/S - Metal or Cloth Grill version of the 100W head, runs about $1100/$999 new to about $450-500 used. Has all the features of the MTS series, ability to bias up with almost any power tube...3 module slots..heavy as fuck! There's a combo version of this (RM100C) but I dread to think what that f'ker weighs in at.

RM50HB - 50W Head with reverb. New about $800..used...$300 to $350. Has a parallel loop (reverb) and a series loop. all the features of the MTS series, ability to bias up with almost any power tube...2 module slots

RM50C - 50W Combo with reverb. New ?..used...$300 to $400. Has a parallel loop (reverb) and a series loop. all the features of the MTS series, ability to bias up with almost any power tube...2 module slots..has shhitty G12T75 speaker I think

RM20B - 15/18W Combo with EL84 tubes. New $649....used $300. Has a series loop I think. Has footswitchable gain/level boost....1x12 greenback...sounds pretty monstrous but only 1 module slot.

Modules..$239 = artist sig. to $189 new.....$175 to $100 used:

Recto/Treadplate - modelled for Mesa DR Modern mode. I had a Recto, I think it relt like a Rectifier but oddly this module could go from heavy marshall(ish) to Mesa...bass sounded a bit odd compared to a real Recto. Treadplate is the newer version

Ultra - a very high gain module, sounds killer..pretty scooped
UltraXL - newer version of the Ultra....never heared it.

Ultra Lead - very mid heavy lead module...I like this one. Much less gain than the Ultra...pretty smooth.

Modern - Modern high gain..supposedly sounds like a high gain Bogner

Tweed - like a Fender Twin(?). Great low to mid gain tones

Plexi - sounds like a Plexi. Great low to mid gain tones...higher gain than a Plexi tho'

JTM45- modelled after..well guess. I've never heared it

SL+ - Marshall Superlead...flabby , marhsall type high gain stock..supposedly cap and tone stack mods make this closer to a high gain JCM800..

Brown - supposedly the Brown sound...never heard it but supposedly does high gain marshall better than the SL+

Clean - it's clean, very flat and lifeless..supposedly sounds great with FX

Blackface - Fender Blackface...best clean module IMO

DLX - higher gain version of above

Top Boost - modelled after AC30..it has more gain than an AC30...I had this a long time ago before I really knew what I was doing with tube amps....was OK but I think I'd like it more now

Artist Series:

Super V - not out yet, supposedly AC30 cleans to grit

Brahma - not out yet - not sure of this

Grail - Modern(ish) Recto type Rhythm/Load for Lynch. Only just got this..no real opinion yet.

Mr Scary - Vintage Dokken...has more gain than that tho'. Srill dialing this in too.

1086 - I think this one is the Recto module with some enhancements....extra voicing options. Never heard it but people say it's more versatile than you'd think...given my comments on the Recto module, I'm not suprprised.

Steve

JKD":ab03f said:
So I'm never gonna play in a band, nor play out...but I'm curious what the thoughts of a real musician are on the Ultra module?

Did you use it much?

I freakin love mine.,...it's awesome for garage playing by myself..tight, big bottom end..nice sizzle if you want it and gobs of gain :D

I used the Ultra for solos, Recto for rhythms. Worked well, but I'd like to get another XTC module (had one before) and maybe one of the lynch or other modern gain modules. Who am I kidding... eventually I'd probably like to check out ALL of the modules. Now instead of GAS for a new amp, I just get nailed for $100-$150 a pop (used modules). :)

Pete

tubesteakfortone":06c95 said:
Step up to the next level and get yourself an Egnater his modules put a whooping on the Randall stuff.

LOL...I was just about to come back and add the Egnater stuff to my post.....biggest advantage to the Egnater stuff that I can see is the 'twin channel' modules..it's a great option. I've had a couple owners tell me that the equivalent modules/heads sound better...so they should for the price :D

The base amps and modules are a lot more expensive though. I've nevwer had a chance to play it or hear it. :-/

Also I forgot a module:

XTC - modelled after the Bogner XTC. I never heard a real Bogner but it kinda reminded me a another take on high gain, looser sounding marshall ??? I never modded mine...I bet it coulda sounded betetr with a cap change.

tubesteakfortone":5dc90 said:
Step up to the next level and get yourself an Egnater his modules put a whooping on the Randall stuff.

I never can find his stuff used though, and new it's a lot of $$$. Maybe eventually. Is the fx loop any different?

Pete

Eggy moduels are like $500 :lol:.

I've had the rm100 for 2.5 years now. I've gigged with it a few times and band practice twice a week for 3 hours at a time for year and a half. It's pretty solid. I'm still impressed considering it's a Randall.
I prefer the Modern for high-gain stuff, SL+ for anything else. And the Clean module for clean.
It also takes pedals really well. I love how it has both a parallel and series loop.

MitchSchaft":88135 said:
I bought it off an HC forumite for $1,000 fully loaded in '04.
Awesome, thanks.

Has anyone here ever gotten a custom modual from Engater? I'd love to have a Mark IV based modual.

MitchSchaft":25de4 said:
I bought it off an HC forumite for $1,000 fully loaded in '04.

I sold my RM100M with either 6 or 7 modules for something over $1k (can't find the exact amount..lol) back then too....some guy called vindaloo, who posts on the mtsforum, has it and gigs regularly with it. He's vindaloo23 on HCAF.

Where can I find one of the RM100s for $450-$500?????

I havent seen one that cheap. I'd buy one for that price quick!

I've been thinking about putting one on layaway locally, theres a shop here that has a half stack in Camo...... :rawk:

Yeah, if I could find one that cheap, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat! I want a head, but the rack would be better, since it holds 4 moduals.

Juggernaut":bc0aa said:
Where can I find one of the RM100s for $450-$500?????

I havent seen one that cheap. I'd buy one for that price quick!

I've been thinking about putting one on layaway locally, theres a shop here that has a half stack in Camo...... :rawk:

They're not that well known, hence the low re-sale. BOOGIE666 let his RM100M go for around $650 (from memory) with 2 modules...it was up on HCAF for weeks....

Spotted this, was quite a steal too:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1373

So they're out there!

Back