Recommend a gig backup pedal preamp/modeller

romanianreaper
romanianreaper
I picked up a Soldano Mini SLO and is a cool little amp but I'm thinking about getting something more practical, less bulky, etc. I am planning on using this as a backup for gigs but if I find something that sounds great, I might even use it with my Quilter 202 power amp and cab, direct to P.A., etc.

Im in a rock/punk type band and I use one main tone for gigs and don't deviate much. I typically use my EVH 5150-III 6L6 Stealth, Marshall Silver Jubillee Mino, or Orange Super Crush 100 combo. So anything with a good amount of gain works. I have a lot of effects pedals so not worried about that much.

I'd like to stay under $400 and even cheaper if possible. Looking at LINE 6, the Two Notes Revolt, Nux Academy, etc. I'll probably use this for recording too if it fits the bill. Any info would be great. I had the Friedman IR-X and was OK but would rather have something different.

Look at the Line 6 POD Express pedal; they just released an editor for it; It has a few Helix based amps, cabs, effects. $180 new, and you could return it if it doesn't work for you.

https://line6.com/podexpress/guitar-effects/

I thought about that one. I currently don't have a computer so hoping to find something I can dial in on the unit.

Forgot to mention, I am looking at the BOSS Core too

Reactions: rsm
I think the BOSS IR-2 might be a great option. It is cheaper and i can have it mounted on my pedal board. I'd probably used the modded sound and be good to go.

Check the Atomic Amplifire box. Pedal size, lots of great amp models, a few effects but super easy and light on overwhelming options and crap you don’t need. I carry one as a backup to my Fractal stuff. You could do an entire gig with one of these in an emergency and completely dig your tone. Straight into the PA. Boom.

https://atomicamps.com/amplifireboxmkii/

Check the Atomic Amplifire box. Pedal size, lots of great amp models, a few effects but super easy and light on overwhelming options and crap you don’t need. I carry one as a backup to my Fractal stuff. You could do an entire gig with one of these in an emergency and completely dig your tone. Straight into the PA. Boom.

https://atomicamps.com/amplifireboxmkii/
Thanks man, that looks cool as well!

I mean, when I had to go my absolute smallest, my gig board was a boost, a mooer preamp pedal, a nux Atlantic, a captor, and two mooer baby bombs in stereo (more volume at lower ohms)

If you want a modeler the Kemper perform, axe fm3, line 6 are all good

I picked up a Soldano Mini SLO and is a cool little amp but I'm thinking about getting something more practical, less bulky, etc. I am planning on using this as a backup for gigs but if I find something that sounds great, I might even use it with my Quilter 202 power amp and cab, direct to P.A., etc.

Im in a rock/punk type band and I use one main tone for gigs and don't deviate much. I typically use my EVH 5150-III 6L6 Stealth, Marshall Silver Jubillee Mino, or Orange Super Crush 100 combo. So anything with a good amount of gain works. I have a lot of effects pedals so not worried about that much.

I'd like to stay under $400 and even cheaper if possible. Looking at LINE 6, the Two Notes Revolt, Nux Academy, etc. I'll probably use this for recording too if it fits the bill. Any info would be great. I had the Friedman IR-X and was OK but would rather have something different.

For a rock/punk band, I'd look at something like the TwoNotes Opus. I think it might work for what you have in mind, especially if you just use one time and have no use for FX.

https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-series/opus/

It costs $319.99 as well, which is about 75% of your budget.

ton of shit out there bro. I rocked a line 6 hd500 in church. Set everything up beforehand, plug into the pa and golden. easy to use and layout was simple. paid like $75 off reverb. Bunch of new units out that sound great and are cheap. soniccake, donner, etc.... if you want to go that route. Not as good as the real thing probably but nobody knew what equipment I was using nor did they give a fuck. Plus set up and breakdown was easy. Hd500, guitar, and wireless...done.

Mooer Prime S1. I have one; sounds good; allows user IRs with the software, not required IMO

Mooer Prime S1 Multi Effects Pedal

https://www.mooeraudio.com/products/201.html

I dunno, a mini head like you have is the no brainer solution if you're already using a cab, or even if you're using a combo with a speaker you can unplug from the "bad" amp.

Swap to the mini head, plug in, and go. Done.

I have a gig crate with a mini BE head, all my cables, and some other misc crap. The head only takes up a little room and it weighs next to nothing. I honestly forget it's there, but I'd sure remember if my amp shit the bed at a show!

I dunno, a mini head like you have is the no brainer solution if you're already using a cab, or even if you're using a combo with a speaker you can unplug from the "bad" amp.

Swap to the mini head, plug in, and go. Done.

I have a gig crate with a mini BE head, all my cables, and some other misc crap. The head only takes up a little room and it weighs next to nothing. I honestly forget it's there, but I'd sure remember if my amp shit the bed at a show!
I haven't been blown away by the Soldano mini head. There is something that is not working for me with it. I plugged into my other amps and was in tonal bliss, even a pedal into my solid state Quilter.

Back